PDA

View Full Version : your opinion please

NiteW4tcher
22-04-11, 09:33 PM
hi guys

this may seem a strange question but id like some honest opinions.

i have gone self employed as a plumber.

my question is

i have pretty long hair , a few people have commented that i should have a more "professinol" hair cut as im the face of my bussiness.

what are your opinions?

would youthink twicce about giving me the work because of my hair cut?

i usually wear it tied back or under a cap, only in my social life do i let it down ;D

your thoughts??

Dan

Rossio
22-04-11, 10:02 PM
My opinion of people is never cast by appearances tbh,especially just a hair cut,or not in your case lol, it's attitude and how approachable people feel you are, just my opinion, a mate from back home has dreads down to his ass n no one is bothered n he's a SE chippy,

GaryMc
22-04-11, 10:27 PM
TBH if you keep it clean and tidy then it shouldn't make a difference (unless your still living in the 50's LOL).

Good luck mate and I'll keep you in mind for any future work ;)

Jacde
22-04-11, 11:03 PM
If you are neat, tidy and clean (goes for your vehicle too!) I wouldn't have a problem with letting you in to my house to work.

If you were scruffy and stinking then no.

smellygerm
22-04-11, 11:24 PM
If you are neat, tidy and clean (goes for your vehicle too!) I wouldn't have a problem with letting you in to my house to work.

If you were scruffy and stinking then no.

I'll get me coat ;D

Nelly
22-04-11, 11:33 PM
I dont care. As long as they do a good job! :)

Toph
22-04-11, 11:52 PM
do you fit Mira showers?? might have a job for you!! .... glad you're getting yourself back to normality buddy, your recent posts sounded like life wasn't treating you too well. saw you at Amesbury rideout, see you soon mate!! :)

Gerry
23-04-11, 08:39 AM
Dear Worried of Yeovil :)

You asked for an honest opinion, and mine is that I think (as you know really) it may put a small minority of people off.

People make their minds up on their opinion of people the instant they see them and hair, clothes, and general appearance all count in the first impression.

Saying that, as been said above, neat & tidy, well mannered (OK, I’m old fashioned) and professional counts as soon as you introduce yourself.

If you have had the forethought to even ask the question, I’m sure you will get on just fine.

Good luck, hope you make a mint [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Yours jealously

Gerry :)

Nico_babe
23-04-11, 09:29 AM
My honest opinion is I do not find men with long hair attractive at all. Maybe in my younger years, but i now prefer the clean "manly" loooking hair cut.

That being said, long hair does suit some people. I personally just dont find it appealing on men.

silly_simon
23-04-11, 10:11 AM
My personal opinion is if a person pulls up outside with a beat up old van,scruffy etc then I think oh no here we go whats this cowboy about ?

But I live in a rented property and unfortunately we have to have what we are sent :( Having said that the majority of the repair peeps have been very good with a clean and tidy apperance :)

bobf279
23-04-11, 11:28 AM
clean and tidy is all for me

Col
23-04-11, 01:12 PM
price/ability to do good job/price/and probably price........tied back = perfect now did I mention price lol!!! :D

speedy
23-04-11, 01:48 PM
ive been in the trade 28yrs have employed lads with long hair never really had a problem, polite and tidy is the main thing. oh yes and turn up good luck.

jj
23-04-11, 04:59 PM
as long as you have the qualifications and can do the job cant see as it matters.difficult time for the heating trade at the moment though

Davehsw
23-04-11, 05:01 PM
I think time keeping, politeness, and overall appearance are the most important.

A few might not like long hair, but they would probably be 'hard work' as customers anyway.

NoYou
23-04-11, 06:01 PM
To be honest the cap would bother me more than long hair ;D caps are a bit too casual for work imho, but really so long as your tidy and professional i wouldn't think it bothers most people so long as you do a good job. They aren't hiring you as a model, they're hiring you as a plumber!

Mark_Able
23-04-11, 08:02 PM
As a tradesman, clean and tidy is important, but hair style I couldn't give a monkey's. I partly chose my profession because I hate shaving and wearing a suit. Never fitted into the 'office thing'. 'NO' I hear you say. I did office work back in the eighties, bit skinny tie, baggy trousers, espadrilles, and no socks, didn't cut it... :o

Scaredy_Cat
23-04-11, 08:29 PM
Clean? Yes. Tidy? Yes.

Long hair? Couldn't give a monkey's as long as you're good at your job! ;)

Roxy
23-04-11, 09:13 PM
It's very difficult keeping long hair looking tip top unless you wash it every other day (depending on your scalp and hair type) I have seen far too many people (men and women) with long hair that looks greasy, unwashed, lank, uncared for and untidy when they are at work etc.

IMHO I think for a man shorter clean cut hairstyles are better and smarter unless you have the time to spend in the mornings washing/preparing it and it of course 'suits you'. Sticking it back in a ponytail can sometimes look like you just can't be bothered and again unless it is clean it just makes people look like hedgemonkeys.

So IMVHO I like the whole short back and sides for guys who have to deal with the general public.

If you're a surf/snowboard instructor etc then the whole windswept rockstar surf dude look suits the job of course.

Unless you are Valentino Rossi, in which case whatever he does with his hair looks fab! ;)

Roxy

NiteW4tcher
23-04-11, 09:23 PM
im certainly not rossi lol

BladeTriple
26-04-11, 02:20 PM
Dude , just tie it back and as long as the rest of you looks the part, clean shaven blah etc you should be ok, you're not in the Army , you don't have a Sgt Major asking if you're hair is hurting , it should cos he's standing on it blah etc.

If you look clean and tidy not like you've crawled out of a septic tank with a smell to match , your reputation will build as you get back into things. You're a civillian and it takes all sorts. Its not like youre a 25stone obese bloke trying to tell me about nutrition , fitness and diet, you're a bloke with long hair sorting someones pipework out for them

If you find its putting customers off later on then yeah go for a trim , until then save your pennies for fuel for the bike

Lis' x

Morticia
26-04-11, 02:28 PM
Keep it. Your hair does not affect the quality of your work.

BB
27-04-11, 06:54 PM
You are asking bikers if they judge by appearances? :D

Clean & tidy & ability to do the job gets my vote. Good luck and may you always be busy :-*

BB

Loops
30-04-11, 05:06 PM
Clean, tidy, reliable and able to do the job well are the important things I'd say!

Long hair hanging round your face might put me off somewhat (how can you see to work..?) but tied back neatly and the rest of you looking smart - no problem.

Will remember you when I get round to redoing the bathroom and kitchen ;)

Caz
30-04-11, 10:23 PM
I like men with long hair and as long as you are clean and presentable I dont think it makes any difference (unless you look like Eddie from Coronation Street) ;D

Hunar
01-05-11, 02:10 PM
If i need a plumber I would be more concerned about the quality of their work and the price they charge rather than the length of their hair. You could wear pig tails as far as I am concerned, as long as you do they job I needed doing for a reasnoble price. If someone is goign to be put of by the fact you have long hair, probably not worth the hassle of working for them, as davehsw said, if they feel the need to complain about the length of hair on their plumber, will no doubt be hard work customers, so i ssay quote them at least double!