PDA

View Full Version : Decent rideout routes

Fletch
30-04-11, 03:12 PM
I did do a quick search but as I'm using my phone I had no joy.

Can anyone suggest any decent rideout routes? I'm a huge fan of the twist'ies but as I've only been living in Wiltshire a few months and was bikeless until next week I've yet to discover any quiet roads with enough bends for me to trash my sliders on.

Honda_Star
30-04-11, 03:52 PM
Whereabouts in Wiltshire are you? I can highly recommend a ride from Swindon on to Highworth A361 to Lechlade A424 through Burford on to Fish Hill (down the A44) and Broadway for a stop. There is a slightly different route back which I rode recently which is equally as fun.

There is also a nice route from Swindon via Baydon and then on to Wantage via the A338 (also otherwise known as the GP road) :) :)

Squashed_Fly
30-04-11, 04:48 PM
Highworth has got a great roundabout for trashing those spiders...

Squashed_Fly
30-04-11, 04:49 PM
*sliders! Damn predictive text!

Fletch
30-04-11, 05:49 PM
Whereabouts in Wiltshire are you? I can highly recommend a ride from Swindon on to Highworth A361 to Lechlade A424 through Burford on to Fish Hill (down the A44) and Broadway for a stop. There is a slightly different route back which I rode recently which is equally as fun

There is also a nice route from Swindon via Baydon and then on to Wantage via the A338 (also otherwise
known as the GP road) :) :)

I'm in devizes. That route sounds pretty awesome I'll get browsing on google maps to see if i can figure it out

Hunar
02-05-11, 04:22 AM
Lyneham to Chippenham via dauntsey lock (B4069) is a nice short run, good in both directions but better in reverse IMHO.

Swindon to Hungerford via Aldbourne (B4192)

Marlborough to Amesbury via Upavon (A345)

Jon_W
03-05-11, 12:30 PM
The run from Bath to Weston is one of my favorites but not good if you are in a hurry....

Try from Nunney catch down towards Caste Cary and then to Sparkford. There are some great roads there.

Scotty
03-05-11, 07:08 PM
You could try Wanborough to Baydon, and on to Wantage (via B4000 & A338) and then on to Faringdon (A417, nothing special along this stretch) and on to Lechlade (again A417 but MUCH better), then turn right to Burford (A361), on to Stow (A424), continue on A424 to join A44, go down Fish Hill (you can't miss it really) to the Broadway roundabout and make a choice - go into Broadway for a coke and some food at the first pub, or turn round immediately and go back up the hill and continue along the A44 to Moreton-in-Marsh, then more A44 to Chipping Norton (50 limit allegedly, but a nice road), then return to Burford & Lechlade, then back to Highworth and Swindon (A361) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Edit: Arse! I thought you were from Swindon ::) Still, you can do this route easily enough, just head up the A4361 from Devizes to Wroughton (entertaining in places) then take the B4005 to Chiseldon, quick dog-leg across the A346 by the filling station and take the unclassified road round the hill, dog-leg again when reaching the B4192 and join the route by turning right at the next crossroads :)

Mark_Able
03-05-11, 08:30 PM
The run from Bath to Weston is one of my favorites but not good if you are in a hurry....

Try from Nunney catch down towards Caste Cary and then to Sparkford. There are some great roads there.

Nunney - Bruton - Wincanton as well... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Sunday morning, Bowerhill roundabout, Melksham. Catch it when there's no traffic, 45mph knee-down all day long. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Fletch
05-05-11, 09:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I picked up my new ride yesterday and disappeared out for about 5hours on it, went from Devizes to Marlborough and onto hungerford A4 then left up the a338 to wantage. The 338 was a nice bit of road, quiet and twisty although I was being a big girls blouse on my new bike on a new road!
Then we went back down to marlborough on the same route and did the Marlborough to amesbury road via pewsey and turned right at upavon back to Devizes WHAT A ROAD! from Marlborough onwards we could have a lot of fun despite the fact it was half 3 and traffic was busy it was still pretty quiet