PDA

View Full Version : Joiner / DIY type needed

BladeTriple
05-05-11, 07:44 PM
Hi guys ,

I was wondering if there are any joiners/ chippies on this forum who could do me a favour obviously not a freebie ...

I need a clothes rail fitted into a spare bedroom cupboard as storage space . I'd fit it myself, I have the rail but its those cavity walls and I don't think the rail alone with the feeble supports would be strong enough to take the weight.

It may need 2 wooden rails putting on either side of the wall to spread the weight of the rail along the strip, obviously YOU the professional would be able to give me a better idea of what was needed. I'm trying to do things on a budget with no longer being with Kaz and taking the house on alone but at the same time am happy to pay for a fair price for fair work .

The cupboard is 70cm wide, 90cm deep and 160cm high. Its raised off the ground due to the stairwell underneath it but the rail ideally needs to go at a height thats useable . Right now its just full of junk and not in any real use.

If any of you fit this bill and are in the Westbury area inbox me please or anyone with any recommendations of friends in the trade.

Thanks guys

Lisa

Taylor86
05-05-11, 07:56 PM
I know someone that could help, but I doubt he'd give much of a discount... :-?

Let me know if you want his number but I'd wait first to see if anyone can offer something better :)

Mitch9128
05-05-11, 08:07 PM
Possible you can you fasten it to the stud?

Last Train
05-05-11, 08:22 PM
Try some of these Hizzy

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/headallfire/Boardfixings.jpg

:)

Mitch9128
05-05-11, 08:30 PM
They won't hold a womans clothes rail last train!!!! :)

BladeTriple
05-05-11, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys ... and Mitch ... its mostly for my green crap (I have too much of it ) and for anyone visiting its not really going to hold that much all the time .

In fairness I put most of the fixtures and fittings up in the house I'm in now even a big heavy Pine mirror on the living room wall and that is some weight on it ! Just don't want a wall imploding with clothes on it as things going on and off can disturb it, the mirror is static and not going anywhere (I hope as its right behind my head now and 5ft x 3ft quite heavy !)

I will have a think about that guys number, shame I'm not based with Royal Engineers or I'd mug one of their Combat Cabinet Makers .

Mitch9128
05-05-11, 09:12 PM
There should be some stud batons in each corner and at the front corners of the alcove. Secure apiece of wood across the wall on both sides (using these batons for support) and fix rails to these. The plaster board screws are not designed to hold a lot of weight, and would damage the board.

bobf279
05-05-11, 09:34 PM
As an ex RE I don't remember us having combat cabinet makers :)

jaagsxr
05-05-11, 11:03 PM
Hi hizzy if you need a hand ... And can wait till I am commin down the pb I can sort it for you ? And then you will be able to hang your leathers off it :D