PDA

View Full Version : HID lights too bright???

Jon_W
11-05-11, 10:15 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13143206

Interesting. Have to say that when driving the old mini these lights were a nusance, especially on 4x4s.

ChrisJo
11-05-11, 11:06 AM
Got them on my motor, and the really annoying thing is that by law they must be self leveling and I'd love to turn them lower but can't...

Hay ho.

Snowy
11-05-11, 11:44 AM
This is a long standing debate. In my opinion, the greater problem surrounds the headlamp adjustment not whether it's fitted with HID. A badly adjusted headlamp fitted with HID will be up to four times worse than the same headlamp with a Halogen bulb. A properly adjusted headlamp with HID should not dazzle but will appear brighter which some people get confused about.

I'm only running HID on my main beam at present on the GS as I have just bought (not fitted) a new type of HID burner for the dip beam which I'm trying out when I get a chance to fit it. It is supposed to make the headlamp reflector/bulb work in the same way as a hooded halogen bulb to reduce glare. I'm almost resigned to the fact though that next year it may well fail an MOT due to new testing rules so will be forced to remove them anyway. >:(

470four
11-05-11, 03:11 PM
I had a HID setup on one of the headlights of the CBR400 mainly because the standard bulbs were Jap home market 35/60W, a pathetic yellow glimmer on low beam? If you fitted 55/60W bulbs it melted the switchgear? ::)

HID will pull 35W hi OR lo beam and as such kept me alive during the dark winter months with a truly brilliant :D beam, more to the extent I taped off the expensive other headlight as it made no difference at all?

I think the problem being people are used to seeing dim H4 halogen bulbs, anything brighter even if set not to dazzle will make them whinge & think their eyeballs are about to melt & run down their cheeks?

Seriously - you don't stare at the sun, do you?

Then why the hell are you staring at other peoples headlights? If you have that short a concentration span then hey - TRY LOOKING WHERE YOU ARE GOING?

The kit at the mo is awaiting fitment to the Ducati - this will not happen until after its MOT in June (two reasons - its light out enough not to need headlights to see by at the mo for my commute, and it will be an easy pass & peace-of-mind if the kit isnt fitted... 8-) )

Jon_W
11-05-11, 03:18 PM
Problem is 470, when you are sat in a car which is low to the ground your eyeline is level with the headlight beams from taller vehicles such as off roaders, it's not a question of staring at them, you cannot but be dazzled by the light.

Snowy
11-05-11, 04:18 PM
Problem is 470, when you are sat in a car which is low to the ground your eyeline is level with the headlight beams from taller vehicles such as off roaders, it's not a question of staring at them, you cannot but be dazzled by the light.

Agreed but thats therefore not a specific HID issue other than they are brighter than standard halogen. I will blind a car driver on the GS irrespective of whether its got HID or not, IF I choose to drive that close up on their rear bumper. At night therefore, I would always watch the cutoff and keep enough distance well before it gets into their mirrors. To me that comes down to giving consideration to other road users and should not be seen as a negative concerning the use of HID.

470four
11-05-11, 07:40 PM

Agreed but thats therefore not a specific HID issue other than they are brighter than standard halogen. I will blind a car driver on the GS irrespective of whether its got HID or not, IF I choose to drive that close up on their rear bumper. At night therefore, I would always watch the cutoff and keep enough distance well before it gets into their mirrors. To me that comes down to giving consideration to other road users and should not be seen as a negative concerning the use of HID.

Very good point, Snowy! :)

Col
12-05-11, 05:50 AM
possible solution :D

http://www.hahastop.com/pictures/Stupid_Tall_Car.jpg