PDA

View Full Version : camping advice :)

zachl
15-05-11, 10:26 PM
hey all

my other half and i will be going camping next month in the uk and on the bike, obviously space is a massive issue.

have nice small compact tent, the problem is the sleeping bags, we need 2, they need to be small enough to fit into one large rucksack, warm enough to sleep in, and ideally under £50.

i went to go outdoors today and the vango ultralite 300 seems perfect but at £55 is out of my partners price range and will probably only get used twice or so when the novelty wears off...

any campers here with any suggestions?

thanks

zach

YMFB
15-05-11, 11:00 PM
From our experience of camping at the IOM TT. Small sleeping bags are colder so be prepared to wear clothes inside, get good quality self inflating sleeping mats and get a 3 man tent. 3 man tents don't take up much more room than 2 man tents but it makes a big difference when you are in it. As with most things in life cheap is usually nasty, better to get good quality second hand than cheap new.

Jacde
16-05-11, 12:05 AM
There's Mountain Life (thinks that's what it's called) in the outlet village that sells stuff at discount.
How about a good trawl through the internet to see if you can get the sleeping bag cheaper.
Thermal clothes, and socks! if my feet are warm I'm warm and can sleep fine, it they're cold doesn't matter how thick the duvet / sleeping bag is!! :(

Col
16-05-11, 04:36 AM
:o couple blankets you'll be fine as not exactly artic conditions :) Plenty of compact stuff out there if you must do posh it :) Yeah check out 2nd hand stuff available if funds a bit low is best suggestion.

Enjoy yer trip anyway

zachl
16-05-11, 10:58 AM
Cheers for the suggestions guys. Am thinking a small compact sleeping bag with a fleece liner perhaps...

Loops
16-05-11, 06:46 PM
I have a lovely sleeping bag with a fleece liner and I'm always cosy - mine doesn't pack down very small though, but I can tell you that the fleece makes all the difference in making you feel warmer ;D

Uber Dave
16-05-11, 08:36 PM
I have a gortex outter lining for my thin sleeping bag, not sure how much they cost but it makes a hell of a differnce to the temperature.

zachl
16-05-11, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the replies

Caz
16-05-11, 09:06 PM
I wear a warm hat too :)

RedSoul
19-05-11, 10:50 AM
I just bought an ex-army "arctic" sleeping bag in great nic for £21.00.Comes with a compression sack which makes it surprisingly small.bought it off fleabay.

FJ_Biker
19-05-11, 12:54 PM
Get two that zip together, ;)

mcicy
19-05-11, 01:10 PM
Try Go Outdoors huge camping store between the Swindon Footy Stadium and the 24hr Tesco store, they had some bargains when I went in there a few weeks ago.

You could also try 1 sleeping bag built for 2, thats what me and wife use when we go camping or to festivals

@bj
19-05-11, 03:18 PM
Try Go Outdoors huge camping store...
Stuck my head in there for the first time last week as I was passing - spent an hour browsing stuff - though so much there - probably could have spent a day...

Liked the 'out back' bit where they had loads of tents set up - so you can see the assembled version of what you are buying... prices looked good - though can't claim to have done any serious comparisons...

Roxy
19-05-11, 03:51 PM
I have a gortex outter lining for my thin sleeping bag, not sure how much they cost but it makes a hell of a differnce to the temperature.

Talking of your sleeping bag..have you washed it yet? ::)

Roxy

Uber Dave
19-05-11, 04:04 PM

Roxy

I have actually no idea what you are on about........ if its rude, then text me!

Roxy
19-05-11, 04:07 PM

Roxy

I have actually no idea what you are on about........ if its rude, then text me!

LOL no not rude, you pitched up at the summer no so hog roast last August and told me it had not been washed since you were in Afgan some 2 years previously I think!!!!! Just wondering if it actually made it into the washing machine this time?? ;D ;D

Roxy xx

Uber Dave
19-05-11, 04:09 PM

Roxy

LOL no not rude, you pitched up at the summer no so hog roast last August and told me it had not been washed since you were in Afgan some 2 years previously I think!!!!! Just wondering if it actually made it into the washing machine this time?? ;D ;D

Roxy xx

Oh, that, no its still "Afghan Fresh" that makes it three years now........ Might just take it and swap it for a new one rather than attempt to clean it now!

Roxy
19-05-11, 04:11 PM

Roxy

Roxy xx

Oh, that, no its still "Afghan Fresh" that makes it three years now........ Might just take it and swap it for a new one rather than attempt to clean it now!

OMG that's honking!!! ;D ;D ;D

Get a new one and pronto!

Roxy xx

Uber Dave
19-05-11, 04:13 PM

Roxy

Roxy xx

Roxy xx

Think I may bring it down with me this BH for the BSB and let you play caterpillars in it?

Roxy
19-05-11, 04:16 PM

Roxy

Roxy xx

Roxy xx

Think I may bring it down with me this BH for the BSB and let you play caterpillars in it?

Well as you promised to drink all that stella that's in my fridge, I think I will zip you up and watch you wriggle around like a drunken worm!! You will probably pass out from the smell if it's not been washed too ;D ;D ;D

sorry for off topic (but it's sort of still on camping advice - My tip is wash your sleeping bag more often than Geek does!) ;D ;D

Roxy xx

Jacde
23-05-11, 06:26 PM
popped into the outlet village this morning, Mountain Life has sleeping bags from £9.99 to £99.99 and liners from £6.