PDA

View Full Version : Are there any car mechanics on here

silly_simon
26-05-11, 04:55 PM
I have a wierd clicking noise on the car and it is driving me mad.

Does it mainly when coming to a stop but it can be heard when pulling away and changing gear ??

I have checked the obvious things but I am stumped :-/

Nelly
26-05-11, 04:58 PM
Is your watch in the glove compartment? ;)

Geordie Stu
26-05-11, 05:15 PM
Check the boot for your Gimp.... ;D

Loops
26-05-11, 06:18 PM
Check tyres for stones! ;D

Yes, sounds really simple but it's amazing how much of a racket one of them can make when the revs drop and the car isn't drowning it out (i.e. coming to a stop, changing gear etc).

silly_simon
26-05-11, 06:49 PM
nope no stones,gimp or watch

Just bloody annoying though >:(

My thoughts are a caliper problem but will have to wait till the weekend for a thorough investigation :-?

Gaz
26-05-11, 07:18 PM
Check the disks for cracks.

njl
26-05-11, 07:23 PM
Perhaps a CV joint going?

Mitch9128
26-05-11, 08:42 PM
+1 on the cv especially if it's slightly louder on turning.

jpssantos
29-05-11, 08:41 PM
what's the car model/year ?

silly_simon
29-05-11, 10:00 PM
Right bit of an update !!

The car is a 2003 Fabia vRS (JP)

I have replaced a n/s bottom ball joint but this turned out NOT to be the case, the CV joints are fine (no clicking on full lock etc)

All other bushes are ok except the *dogbone* mount at the bottom of the engine which has some play in it, After removeing it this evening on closer inspection it looks as though it has started to perish allowing the engine to rock excessively front to back :o This will need changing in due course but could this be the culprit ??

While I had the nearside apart I did check the caliper and all seemed ok :) even the pads :D so have discounted that for now.

Its just an annoying thing that is not blarringly obvious but sounds bloody horrible so need to get it sorted once and for all :-/

Si
01-06-11, 04:26 PM
I would visit the engine mounts with a spanner Si. See if you can nip them up a bit tighter. Especially the dogbone one. If the noise goes away at least you have narrowed it down. The engine movement when braking and acclerating would certainly nake some sort of noise and if you have checked the brakes its the next thing I would check :)

silly_simon
01-06-11, 09:40 PM
Cheers Si

I have had enough of it now and gonna have to bite the bullet and book it into a garage to diagnose :( :(

It is progressively getting worse it seems everytime I drive the car so can't be good >:( This evening the noise seems like a steering rack problem :o But I certainly hope not otherwise the bike will have to go to be able to afford the repair bill :-/ :-/

Mitch9128
01-06-11, 09:56 PM
Have you checked the anti roll bar bushes? I recall years ago i had a car with them gone, made a clonking sound, worth a check, and cheap as to replace.

Si
02-06-11, 08:49 AM
Cheers Si

I have had enough of it now and gonna have to bite the bullet and book it into a garage to diagnose :( :(

It is progressively getting worse it seems everytime I drive the car so can't be good >:( This evening the noise seems like a steering rack problem :o But I certainly hope not otherwise the bike will have to go to be able to afford the repair bill :-/ :-/

I hope not Si! >:( :(