PDA

View Full Version : Earning some pocket money...?

Loops
02-06-11, 07:51 PM
I'm really just after a few opinions and gut feelings from people really.

Like most people I expect, I'm thinking of ways of earning a little extra money to pay for my treats (like nights out at the H&C 8-)) and I happen to be pretty handy with a sewing machine.

I've already made cushion covers, a peg bag, curtains etc, for myself, and I'm sure I could also make lots of other handy things like aprons, oven mitts, bags for kids PE kit, all done to order so in the colour, pattern and decoration style you'd want (within the limitations of the fabric available of course!)

I was wondering if a) people would be interested in buying items like that which are hand-made to order, and b) how much you would be willing to pay.

It would feel much more creative than stacking shelves in a supermarket of an evening!

squirrel_hunter
02-06-11, 08:58 PM
People do buy things like this and do make a bit of pocket money from it. The only thing I can advise it to look on the net for a creative type website that lets you sale via them, they exist and are like eBay and lets face it eBay is an ideal place for this.

What you need to do is get lots of example done and photographed nicely so you have a portfolio of work people can see and choose from. So there is a bit of investment needed up front with time and money but once you get advertising the return should be worth it.

As for prices have a look in the market place to see if others are doing something similar and what they sale for. Also factor in the cost of products and the cost of your time (threlativetive) then add 20% for profit and see if your competitive.

Best of luck and lets see some of your works.

Scaredy_Cat
02-06-11, 09:03 PM
Bandanas? I could always use a load more of those to keep my neck warm when riding, and I like the idea of custom-made ones :)

Loops
02-06-11, 10:21 PM
Good idea Charlotte :) I thought about doing motorbike bits too - bandanas, neck tubes, patterned helmet bags, oil bottle storage bags etc.

I can always make one-off pieces anytime though - drop me a pm with what you'd want and I'll look into it :)

I know I need to look into costs before trying to make a big go of it, but with everyone tightening their belts at the moment I thought I'd see if anyone even thought it would work, or if no-one has any money spare to buy nice things! ;D

Jacde
03-06-11, 12:54 PM
Loops
Famers markets/craft fairs or maybe carboot sales?
You'll obviously need to make yourself a certain amount of stock and then factor in your travel costs and also think how you will display your stock.
you could advertise in local paper/parish mag/supermarket. make sure if you do take orders that the deposit covers the cost of the materials as you don't want to be out of pocket if the client changes their mind.

stretchie_
03-06-11, 02:23 PM
Can you stitch leather??

You have a load of leather clad monkeys knocking around here. I'm sure there are a few feet of split stitching on here.

Nokesy
05-06-11, 12:56 AM
Can you stitch leather??

You have a load of leather clad monkeys knocking around here. I'm sure there are a few feet of split stitching on here.

Now there's your market without a shadow of a doubt!! I stitched my own leathers by hand a while back and it was torturous - would have happily paid someone else as I'm not into all that stuff - maybe look into that?