PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with electronics/soldering?

Squashed_Fly
13-06-11, 10:22 AM
En route to Bude the other week, my tomtom decided it wasn't going to switch on. I tried the reset method of holding down the power button firmly for 15-30 seconds, still no joy.

I've popped the screen off today to have a quick look, and it looks like the actual button that the outside button presses on, has come off the circuit board. I can only assume this is where I applied a little extra pressure to try and reset the device, as per their instructions :(

Does anybody here know much about them, of can help me fix it? Or is it a case of 'back to TOMTOM'?

Thanks in advance if you can offer any help

silly_simon
13-06-11, 10:34 AM
Is it still under warrenty ? Shop guarrantee ?

Squashed_Fly
13-06-11, 10:39 AM
No, it's about 2 years old, and I bought it through work direct so no shop guarantee.

I'm sure they will be able to fix it, and hopefully free as it's quite likely it's the 'reset procedure' that has damaged it. On all the other models, there is a little reset pin hole on the bottom, but this one relies on firm, and long pressing of the power button, so this problem is bound to happen.

I just didn't want to be without it too long as it will have to go their techical dept in the Netherlands to be fixed. No customer support in this country for it :(

wiltshire builders
13-06-11, 03:47 PM
I've got a gas powered soldering kit that you're welcome to use.

Squashed_Fly
13-06-11, 04:32 PM
If I had the slightest clue what I was doing with it, I might take you up on that! But with about as much electrical knowledge as a fencepost, I'd better steer clear!

I'm hoping Tomtom will do a free repair for me, since it was their advice that led to it being broken :(

mick_benson
13-06-11, 05:54 PM
i could take it into work and do it for you

Squashed_Fly
13-06-11, 06:01 PM
That would be awesome if you could. if Tomtom are happy to do it FOC, then I'll let them sort it, but otherwise I got quoted £40 plus VAT locally, just to do a 2 minute soldering job!

mick_benson
13-06-11, 06:40 PM
no worries bud, i'll take it into work anytime, let me know

ChrisJo
14-06-11, 03:12 PM
Ditto,

We have a electronis team here and they do small surface mount stuff, let me know.

Chris

Nooj
14-06-11, 05:28 PM
Another one here, spent years doing electronic assembly and wiring contracting and have all the kit in my office.

PS. if anyone needs an outworker for this kind of thing, give me a shout. Single sided, multi-layer and through plated PCBs not a problem. Surface mount also, but not the really fine pitch stuff.