PDA

View Full Version : Just my luck at the mo !! THE OUTCOME !!!

HensonA
28-04-11, 07:38 PM
Oh well ..... thought the rattle at bottom of car engine was a problem with the cat converter. KIA dealer today has looked at car and told me it needs new engine !!!!!
Something to do with crankshaft / bearing. Odd as car drives fine but makes this rattling noise low down.
"55" plate car with only 14,000 miles. Warranty ended Nov'10.
KIA dealer going to see if KIA UK will contribute otherwise i will prob scrap car. Said engine would be just undrer £4k and car not worth that!!!!!! :(

Nelly
28-04-11, 07:41 PM
Wow. That sucks fella :(

Last Train
28-04-11, 07:41 PM
Kin cheers....

njl
28-04-11, 07:43 PM
f k really! that's terrible at 14k miles!! is it a front wheel drive or 4x4? Get a second opinion from an independant, I could recommend one or two but not that close to you.

wi77y
28-04-11, 07:47 PM
4k that stupid defo get a second look on that !

HensonA
28-04-11, 08:25 PM
f k really! that's terrible at 14k miles!! is it a front wheel drive or 4x4? Get a second opinion from an independant, I could recommend one or two but not that close to you.
Front wheel drive KIA Picanto 1.1 automatic. Was my late Mother's car and she did only 7,000 in the 3 years she had it !!!
Car has been serviced every year.
Wil wait and see if KIA dealer gets anywhere when they send details to KIA UK.

Dabz
28-04-11, 08:34 PM
One to write to watchdog etc with if KIA don't get it sorted - for a company who push 5 year warranties it's appalling!

HensonA
28-04-11, 08:44 PM
One to write to watchdog etc with if KIA don't get it sorted - for a company who push 5 year warranties it's appalling!
KIA now give 7 year warranty but our car being 2005 was a 5 year warranty that was up in Nov 2010 !!!! ::)

Dabz
28-04-11, 08:48 PM
Certainly an eye opener..I was starting to consider KIA as a good replacement for our company vehicles (we have corsas at the mo) .. Makes me rethink a bit!

Green Man
28-04-11, 08:49 PM
Ade remind them of the fit for purpose rule after 14.000 miles its certainly not [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
28-04-11, 09:04 PM
Ade remind them of the fit for purpose rule after 14.000 miles its certainly not [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I aggree with that Colin :) Also it maybe an idea to check with the servicing dealer that everything that was supposed to be done has been, As crankshaft bearing malfunction at that milage is down to either a lack of oil or the wrong grade :o

I know mechanical items are not infallable but that is ridiculus and KIA should step in :(

Bornagain
28-04-11, 09:22 PM
Major bummer Ade - Hope you get it sorted, i'd certainly push the "fit for purpose" arguement if they start playing silly buggers.
Good luck ;)

Col
29-04-11, 08:47 PM
Blimey it's hardly run in so gotta agree with the others that you surely have a case and the fact it's dealer serviced. This failure at 14k is not acceptable Ade.

Uber Dave
29-04-11, 09:24 PM
That truely is shocking. Hope you get it sorted and shall be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you get on. Good luck Ade!

Taylor86
29-04-11, 11:19 PM
This has not improved my opinion of Kias much either... :-/
I don't want to just assume they're all awful, so does anyone have a good story about a Kia? :)

Col
30-04-11, 12:49 AM
Yes I can report a good story !! :)

There are other makes to buy :D Helpful ? Definitely :D

Gamer
30-04-11, 12:57 AM
14,000 is more likely manufacturer failure or running dry (no oil)
I cannot be sure, but you should spent not more than £2k and have engine totally rebuild = new
Have a second opinion - crankshaft ?!?! I have flywheel broken and have done already 40k with that.

But comparing price of your car I would suggest to preserver the engine (drive sensible, easy and smooth) and wait until it will die. Make sure you have oil levels close by high marking to make sure of good lubrication. Just make sure you have AA cover and when you use them you know you have to get a new car :(

As soon as I will be back on a bike I am happy to listen to this engine and share my feelings 8-)

Squashed_Fly
30-04-11, 07:16 AM
Just like any manufacturer, sometimes you get a bad one. But we had a picanto (was my first car!) and it was a great little car. Got 2 mechanic friends, both said they were good engines for the money.

When I do get round to getting another car of my own, I'll probably look at getting another. Thinking of a Cee'd.

Ade - sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope they get it sorted out.

470four
30-04-11, 09:28 AM
As above...

Sounds like a shoddy bearing from new to me?

Get Kia to sort it with promised tabloid retribution if they dont. ;)

Strip the thing out & stick a Skyline engine in there & take it drifting. :D

Ducatista
30-04-11, 12:40 PM
Ade - I have two bits of advice.

Firstly get a second opinion.
One Subaru dealer told us we had a serious problem when it turned out the car just needed some oil !!!!
(We had something of a rattle too).

Secondly I would be pursuing this under the Sales of Goods Act.
You have statutory rights and that's clearly not fit for purpose.
I'd do some reasearch backed up with the legal phrases (fit for puposes etc.)and a bit of reasearch e.g. average engine should last x miles.
I'd sent them a letter recorded delivery (74p?) and perhaps even mention that I would be pursuing it through the small claims track in the county court. Once your exhausted the polite options of course.

Taylor86
30-04-11, 01:49 PM
As above...

Sounds like a shoddy bearing from new to me?

Get Kia to sort it with promised tabloid retribution if they dont. ;)

Strip the thing out & stick a Skyline engine in there & take it drifting. :D

I like the sound of the last option... :D

HensonA
30-04-11, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the kind advice guys. Will wait to see if the KIA dealer gets any joy from KIA UK.
Will though get a 2nd opinion from an independent before making any decision about a repair route.

As regards oil, I have regularly checked engine oil level between services and the car uses little oil and the oil is always very clean on the dip-stick.

HensonA
17-06-11, 12:08 AM
Just thought I'd post what the outcome has been .....

.. took car to independent garage in Corsham. They had it for a few days and eventually after their three technicians had just listened to the noise and chatted about the unusual rattle, one of them recognised it as a v rare issue.

They asked me to come in on the 4th morning to collect the car as they'd fixed it !!!!

As it's an automatic transmission, what had happened was that two of the bolts holding the flexi plate to the auto transmission torque converter had come loose.
The proprietor of this garage said that they had, a couple of times over many years, seen a cracked flexi plate but never the actual retaining bolts coming loose.

Anyway, as it had been making this rattling sound for a while the loose bolts had elongated the holes into which they fixed the plate to the converter.
They therefore had to put new bolts in and somehow secured them using some loctite substance ...and the car sounds lovely now !!!

Cost; parts was just 3 new bolts @ £0.57 each + 2 hours labour + the VAT .... so a bill for only £157.

I have written to the Managing Director of the Chippenham Kia dealership telling him what I thought about the mis-diagnosis by his staff that could have cost someone £3,800 if they had just let them replace the engine.
I suggested they had a training issue, albeit that the problem was very rare and possibly something that none of their (young) technicians had ever come across.

I also sent Kia Motors UK a copy of that letter and suggested to them that they might like to notify all their dealarship workshops of this potential issue on Picanto automatic cars .. and that such a low down engine rattle does not mean a new engine !!!
If this had been, say an elderly person, why would they doubt that a Kia dealer could get the diagnosis so wrong and could have forked out a massive sum of money.

What a surprise, I have had no reply from the MD of the Kia dealership, despite a reminder letter I sent last week, not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement letter. >:(

.. and Kia UK, who would not have contributed if it had been an engine replacement. Well, another surprise, no reply from them either.. >:( >:(

I unfortunately bought a Citroen from this same Chippenham dealership last year (they sell Kia, Citroen, Peugeot and Seat vehicles) and paid an extra £199 to have 3 years servicing included.
Don't feel I want to take any car back to their workshops, even for the relatively straightforward servicing of a new car. :'(

..The end !!!!

Ryan
17-06-11, 12:46 AM
Just goes to show DONT buy a kia, this isn't the first bad report ive heard with issues like this,

Also its always best to have 2 opinions, go to the kia dealer and demand to speak to the MD and ask him to his face why he hasn't even got the decency to reply to your letter.

Squashed_Fly
17-06-11, 08:13 AM
go to the kia dealer and demand to speak to the MD and ask him to his face why he hasn't even got the decency to reply to your letter.

Sounds like a good place to have a WB bike meet! lol

NoYou
17-06-11, 10:13 AM
Yea 50 bikers showing up on his forecourt might get his attention :p

470four
17-06-11, 10:20 AM
Just goes to show DONT buy a kia, this isn't the first bad report ive heard with issues like this,

Also its always best to have 2 opinions, go to the kia dealer and demand to speak to the MD and ask him to his face why he hasn't even got the decency to reply to your letter.

Kia are cheap - for a reason... I would personally neither recommend nor buy anything built in China, Korea or Wongtongfong for that matter.

Im all for a WB gathering outside the MD's?? :D

Just finished Hunter S. Thompson's "Hells Angels" book, a number of motorcycles turing up outside anywhere always gets curtains twitching... 8-)

jpssantos
17-06-11, 10:32 AM
Why are you going to scrap the car???

if it still drives..just keep driving till the engine blows up..

My Defender 90 has a horrible noise from the gearbox, and its likely to be the output shaft bearing, or something worse.., I've rulled out the transfer box, that's fine

either case its a gearbox out job, which I really cant be bothered to do as its a pain doing it on my back on my drive, altough I could do it.... as sourcing a spare gearbox is not very expensive

but, I've just been driving it like that for about a year now... the way I see it is, its not doing damage to anything else and still works... so there's no point fixing it till it blows..

simples! ;D

Just keep driving.. if you dont have loss of power or anything, if its just the noise there.. keep driving.

jpssantos
17-06-11, 10:34 AM
sorry, didnt see the other post...

bit expensive for 3 bolts!!!

that deserves a pick axe through the bonnet off a car in the forecourt! :D :D

Squashed_Fly
17-06-11, 10:40 AM
They are cheap, but they are good little cars. As said above, if you want to do sales rep mileage, then of course you would buy something more suitable.

Not everyone can aford to buy german manufacturing, or Japanese sometimes. There is a case for them, and of the cheaper manufacturers, Kia are one of the best, if not the best. Got quite a few mechanic friends back home who have all recommnded them as a lower budget car.

One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wunv9U4IWk

Col
17-06-11, 03:43 PM
Just astounded at this but not surprised by any means. The lack of response to your letters is not only ignorant but highly unprofessional.

It does make you wonder if on inspection they found these loose bolts would they then tell a customer and present the low appropriate bill or milk the punter knowing they are expecting a high bill :-? :-?---------obviously they'd do the right thing :)

If I want another motor don't think 'Nam will be the place to shop ::)

Ryan
17-06-11, 06:00 PM
go to the kia dealer and demand to speak to the MD and ask him to his face why he hasn't even got the decency to reply to your letter.

lol good shout, we could all do rolling burnouts on the forecourt haha

redken1
17-06-11, 08:13 PM

Ye don't give up Ade. Rolling burnouts would be a good distraction while I place hundreds of leaflets on prospective Kia customer's windscreens informing them of the dealers apparent lack of aftercare. ;)

Mark_Able
17-06-11, 09:16 PM
I've heard of torque convertor to flex plate bolts coming loose on the big American muscle cars, but they're normally packing 300+bhp. It's a sign of poor build quality for sure. As for CMC, I've heard some bad things about them before (customer service being shocking). >:(

Ryan
17-06-11, 09:29 PM
Terrible they'd want to try and rip off a nice young chap like yourself ade! >:(

Squashed_Fly
18-06-11, 07:53 AM
I've heard of torque convertor to flex plate bolts coming loose on the big American muscle cars, but they're normally packing 300+bhp.

Ade, I told you that tuning kit would cause you problems! ;D

Taylor911
18-06-11, 08:08 AM
Someone mentioned about not buying Korean cars.

Hyundai are good.
My
Dad had a 2005 coupe. He put 180,000 miles on it and it still ran fine, though he said it was getting to the point that it needed big bits replacing.

So he treated himself to a nicer car!

Nokesy
22-06-11, 10:31 AM

Ye don't give up Ade. Rolling burnouts would be a good distraction while I place hundreds of leaflets on prospective Kia customer's windscreens informing them of the dealers apparent lack of aftercare. ;)

Yeh count me in! :) Although, think I'll opt for helping Ken distribute leaflets rather than the forecourt rolling burnouts!! ;D

Jacde
22-06-11, 05:29 PM

Yeh count me in! :) Although, think I'll opt for helping Ken distribute leaflets rather than the forecourt rolling burnouts!! ;D

Oooh, burnouts, never done one of them ;D

lurkalot
23-06-11, 09:30 AM
Just realized that the Kia dealer is in fact CMC. We had "issues" with them when they were the Rover dealer out on the A420. This included an ABS fault that they couldn't find/reproduce/fix until their sales guy borrowed it overnight to drive it round.

I even had the MD's car for a few days while they tried to fix the demonstrator we bought from them.

Personally I wouldn't buy another car from any CMC franchise.