PDA

View Full Version : Persistant phone users

Iceman
15-06-11, 06:23 PM
Spent 6 minutes monitoring traffic Today.Out of a total 68 vehicles passing me, 7 were using mobile phones.3 were in vans.One woman saw me looking at her using the mobile and gave me the finger!lol Obviously the present policy aint working. Give out 6 penalty points and a minimum £1000 on the spot fine. Use the phone twice and you're banned.That'll do the trick! ;)
I aint moaning for the sake of it as have had a couple of junction near misses where the driver was busy on their phone failing to stop at the junction! ::)

Squashed_Fly
15-06-11, 08:08 PM
I saw loads of it yesterday - was on the M25 and it seemed like every other driver was on their phone.

NoYou
15-06-11, 08:33 PM
The problem is people have realized its an almost unenforceable law. The punishment currently is not major enough to make it a real risk to drivers, only way to make people think twice it to make the penalty for being caught high. Something needs to be done though there is a noticeable difference to drivers awareness when they've got a phone jammed in their ear.
The worst one I've seen was a woman leant forward holding the steering wheel still with her sizable chest (couldn't help but notice :P) with a phone in one hand, a f*g in her mouth and doing her makeup in the rearview... could hardly believe what i was seeing and when she saw me staring at her* she looked at me questioningly, as if she could see nothing wrong with what she was doing!
Geo
* I was a passenger in a car! i don't make a habit of staring at other motorists while riding :P

kn
15-06-11, 08:53 PM
Police should be able to confiscate their phones on the spot the same as they can with an uninsured car that would hurt more than any fine.

Ryan
15-06-11, 09:10 PM
LOL girls doing maked in mirrors while driving is the worst, thats what they rekon the rear view mirror is for and the only time they use it!

Dabz
15-06-11, 09:14 PM
I've been seeing more and more people using their phones while driving lately. Makes my blood boil!

Ryan
15-06-11, 09:24 PM
OUTRAGEOUS

Nelly
15-06-11, 09:24 PM
Agree. It seems to be on the increase. No idea why, hands free kit is pence these days! Bloody annoying

wiltshire builders
15-06-11, 09:51 PM
Bring in the death penalty. You'd only have to execute a couple of people before it was taken seriously.

Taylor86
15-06-11, 10:34 PM
Bring in the death penalty. You'd only have to execute a couple of people before it was taken seriously.

Have you had too much sugar today? :P

Nooj
15-06-11, 10:39 PM
And what is it with every third truck on motorways repeatedly swerving in and out of the hard shoulder??

I passed a Royal Mail artic doing this and the driver was texting!! Is it really that common for so many truckers to be doing it? Thought they'd have more sense what with the intensive training they need for their jobs.

Squashed_Fly
15-06-11, 11:22 PM

We seem to be agreeing a lot this week! lol ;)

jpssantos
15-06-11, 11:47 PM
Next time you see someone on the phone and you happen to stop next to them, there's 2 things you can do:

1 - rev the sh!t off your bike
2 - quickly grab their phone and throw it in the back of the car

A mate of mine, ex London courier, used to ride with a couple of piss bags tucked in his nose fairing, when someone did something he threw one of the bags in the car...hahahah, he was a funny chap! good rider he was too...all the creditations and bike instructor and all that.

Squashed_Fly
16-06-11, 08:25 AM
Next time you see someone on the phone and you happen to stop next to them, there's 2 things you can do:

A mate of mine, ex London courier, used to ride with a couple of piss bags tucked in his nose fairing, when someone did something he threw one of the bags in the car...hahahah, he was a funny chap! good rider he was too...all the creditations and bike instructor and all that.

Really though?

That's all good until they get out of the car and stab you. Yeah bikes are quicker - but they all still have to stop at red lights and roundabouts...

You're better off just riding sensibly, and as safely as possible. If you see someone driving like a d1ck, or doing something dangerous, just stay well back. Why lower yourself to acting like just as much of an idiot as the person you're having a go at? Take the moral highground and live t ride another day. Biking is dangerous enough as it is, without some twat following you home and smashing your face in. All they need is your plate to find out where you live.

470four
16-06-11, 08:53 AM
I find a quick rap on their window with my glove knuckles makes them wake up/drop the phone, lol

Perhaps they find piloting a ton of metal around to be tedious, boring even? Maybe a games console built into the steering wheel & drivers sunblind would give them something to do?? :-?

Agreed on heavier fines & confiscation of their phone...

ChrisJo
16-06-11, 10:12 AM
Police should be able to confiscate their phones on the spot the same as they can with an uninsured car that would hurt more than any fine.

Good idea, just toss them the sim as the phone goes unger the boot :o

Uber Dave
16-06-11, 11:12 AM
I have in the past gone past on the bike looking at them made the "Phone symbol" with my left hand while shaking my head, stopped the two or three I have done it to, even if it was just till I went past.

I was in the middle of Lincoln city the other month too on the way to work in the car and pulled up next to a car at some lights, the girl in it was on her phone. Due to my uniform for work I guess, when she saw me she litterally threw her phone into the passenger footwell. I can only guess she mistook my RAF Blues for a police uniform......

mcicy
16-06-11, 12:05 PM

Good idea, just toss them the sim as the phone goes unger the boot :o

I get the feeling a lot of people would stop if it meant losing their precious Iphones to the police

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/792/46857293.jpg

jpssantos
16-06-11, 04:46 PM

Really though?

That's all good until they get out of the car and stab you. Yeah bikes are quicker - but they all still have to stop at red lights and roundabouts...

You're better off just riding sensibly, and as safely as possible. If you see someone driving like a d1ck, or doing something dangerous, just stay well back. Why lower yourself to acting like just as much of an idiot as the person you're having a go at? Take the moral highground and live t ride another day. Biking is dangerous enough as it is, without some twat following you home and smashing your face in. All they need is your plate to find out where you live.

Usually its the other way around though, I tend to follow them home.. lol
have had a guy going 3 times around the Texaco roundabout in hungerford just to make sure if i was following him or not... tried to deliberatly knock me off the bike just because i was in the lane he wanted to get on, as im smaller I was supposed to move??

Sorry mate... i dont do all the "let they be, sooner or later they'll be done by the police"

I rather go down the shock awareness route, might make them start thinking as soon as they get back in the car.. instead of 3h later knocking someone off their bike, then the police would be too late to tell them off (as usual)

Squashed_Fly
16-06-11, 05:27 PM
Rather you play the hero than me mate. I'll stay safe & live to ride another day

jpssantos
16-06-11, 05:33 PM
each to their own.. if we were all the same, the world would be a very boring place ;)

redken1
16-06-11, 08:01 PM

The law must be consistent and the punishment must be proportionate to the crime committed. Who on here would agree with the introduction of a 12 moth jail term for motorcyclists who flaunt the number plate and exhaust laws, in addition to the confiscation of their bikes? Such a penalty would probably cut the biking fraternity by half and would certainly please the anti-biking lobby. :P

Seriously though, using a hand-held or hands-free phone while driving is a major problem. I am not so sure however, that the current legislation relating to hand-held phones addresses what I believe to be a more serious road safety issue.

In my view, engaging in conversation with a passenger or conversing on a hands-free phone while driving is potentially a greater distraction than holding an object such as a phone or sandwich. How many of us have nearly missed a junction or nearly crossed a red light when conversing with a passenger?
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) recently completed a substantial body of research in to this issue.

ROSPA reported, “Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.”

wiltshire builders
16-06-11, 08:24 PM

The law must be consistent and the punishment must be proportionate to the crime committed. Who on here would agree with the introduction of a 12 moth jail term for motorcyclists who flaunt the number plate and exhaust laws, in addition to the confiscation of their bikes? Such a penalty would probably cut the biking fraternity by half and would certainly please the anti-biking lobby. :P

Seriously though, using a hand-held or hands-free phone while driving is a major problem. I am not so sure however, that the current legislation relating to hand-held phones addresses what I believe to be a more serious road safety issue.

In my view, engaging in conversation with a passenger or conversing on a hands-free phone while driving is potentially a greater distraction than holding an object such as a phone or sandwich. How many of us have nearly missed a junction or nearly crossed a red light when conversing with a passenger?
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) recently completed a substantial body of research in to this issue.

ROSPA reported, “Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.”

I wouldn't want to insult either of you by implying that you didn't know I was joking. Obviously being sentenced to death of a minor law infringement would be a tad exteme.

However, Ken if I ever see you riding that Marauder.........

redken1
16-06-11, 08:28 PM
I know WB, I was only teasing you too, but you have to start a post somewhere. I'm having second thoughts about the Marauder, might get some slippers instead. lol ;D

Iceman
16-06-11, 08:30 PM
from Fri 19 Nov 2010. Quote;-"A lorry driver who hit and killed a cyclist while using his mobile phone has been jailed for seven years and given a lifetime driving ban.
Dennis Putz, 51, hit Catriona Patel with his 32-tonne tipper truck at traffic lights near Oval tube station in London last June.

He told Inner London Crown Court he didn't realise he'd run over the avid cyclist, who was wearing high-visibility clothing. It was only when passers-by started hammering on his door that he stopped.

During sentencing yesterday, judge Roger Chapple said Putz had "shown a consistent disregard for road traffic legislation and the law", The Guardian reported. "Plainly you should never be allowed behind the wheel of an HGV again," he said. "The risk to the public is just too great."

Patel, a director at City PR firm Citigate Dewe Rogerson, was in training with her husband, Anish, to take part in the L'Étape du Tour. In court, Mr Patel described her as a "safe and strong rider", and said his family had been given a life sentence." - unquote.

...a sombre reminder that using a phone can have dire consequences!

Richzx10r
16-06-11, 09:01 PM
These people using there phones obviously have urgent matters to deal with and cant spare the time to pull over safely and make/recieve there call/text.So please leave them alone.Its there human right to behave this way dont you know.

Actually the death penalty seems a good idea :P

Squashed_Fly
16-06-11, 09:20 PM

I wouldn't want to insult either of you by implying that you didn't know I was joking.

What?????

This is the biggest retreat on words since that idiot posted about nuking the middle east then promptly retracted his statement when he realised people had ACTUALLY taken him seriously!

Think his name was Washed Dry, or something like that.... ;D

I knew you didn't mean it WB, lets just hope everyone else realised it as well! lol Where would we be without a sense of humour? That's right - GERMANY! :D

redken1
16-06-11, 09:30 PM
I make no apologies for repeating an extract from the ROSPA research report: “Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.”

I suspect that the “Powers that be” have ignored the increasing evidence which reinforces ROSPA’s findings because any new legislation against the use of hands-free phones would be impossible to enforce. Perhaps education is the only option?

jpssantos
16-06-11, 11:02 PM
Just to throw something in the mix here... :)

We are all discussing the use of mobile phones whilst driving, but did you know that I can legally drive my 90 and hold the CB radio I have installed and engage in a conversation with another CB user (usually my mate on another land rover) whilst driving?

and its perfectly legal... one hand on the steering wheel, the other holding the CB.... perfectly legal..

hey.. you didnt know about this one did ya? ;D

Vee4 Gaz
16-06-11, 11:35 PM
JP that just goes to show what a ass the law is. Am I correct when I say smoking while driving is still legal? That makes me mad the fact that you can't take a drink but you can have a open fire in your car anytime you like whilst driving??

If you see people using mobile phones while driving.....Just take a photo of them with you own phone and hand it to the cops...Remember though you need to keep your phone in a outside pocket of your leathers and be wearing thin gloves.......oh and keep the throttle nice and steady. ;)

Col
17-06-11, 08:24 PM
pmsl one day. Noticed this bint was swerving about cos she was on the moby so, purely for my own entertainment, I went alongside sounded the horn and waved me finger at her....christ she nearly died, went red in the face, dropped the moby and braked :o...won't do that again ::)

This pull over to answer the mobe has created yet another hazard. Have you noticed some muppets literally stop on the side of the road, like any road and occasionally not too far from bends instead of turning off or next layby ::)

Oh yes absolutely right WB ;)

wiltshire builders
18-06-11, 04:49 PM
pmsl one day. Noticed this bint was swerving about cos she was on the moby so, purely for my own entertainment, I went alongside sounded the horn and waved me finger at her....christ she nearly died, went red in the face, dropped the moby and braked :o...won't do that again ::)

This pull over to answer the mobe has created yet another hazard. Have you noticed some muppets literally stop on the side of the road, like any road and occasionally not too far from bends instead of turning off or next layby ::)

Oh yes absolutely right WB ;)
I've stopped to help people thinking that they had broken down, purely because they were stopped in such a dangerous place, only to find they had stopped to take a call.

pluggedinpete
04-07-11, 10:33 PM
I really like the Idea of the fuzz confiscating their £500+ smartphone; removing the SIM and handing it back to the perpetrator and then crushing said phone underfoot.. ;D

I was once sat outside the Red Lion in Gloucester Road in brizzle with my now ex (after she was visiting her ex in Horfield... My taste in women has improved since) and this bimbo in a gold Saab convertable was wating to pull out into Gloucester rd while chatting into her mobile, so I said to Jade (the ex) at the the top of my voice "PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR MOBILES WHILE DRIVING ARE W******S! " I've never seen anyone go so red before or since! She soon dropped the thing! ;)

NiteW4tcher
05-07-11, 11:51 AM
i once was driving my car and went past a van driver on mobile so i pulled along side him and gave him the phone sign and gave him the W****R sign.....he proceeded to follow me until we got stuck in traffic....he was a car behind me in a queue...he pulled out around the car stuck half on otherside of road and agve me the come on hands. so i got out of car walked towards him and he locked the door and did his window up......so i stood there saying what a idiot he was etc etc and he wanted me to "come on" and now he is sat locked in his van like a baby......dnt tel me to come on when u dnt have the guts to carery it through.

mind u the mood he got me in it was best of he stayed in the van. jumped up little goit. traffic started to move i got back in car....he took the next turning LOL

it makes my bloody boil and makes my temper go awol. my mate was knocked of his cbr....rear ended by a man in a bmw on the phone. didnt see the stationary traffic and collided with his bike @ 45mph in a 30.

>:( >:(

Iceman
06-07-11, 04:36 PM
i once was driving my car and went past a van driver on mobile so i pulled along side him and gave him the phone sign and gave him the W****R sign.....he proceeded to follow me until we got stuck in traffic....he was a car behind me in a queue...he pulled out around the car stuck half on otherside of road and agve me the come on hands. so i got out of car walked towards him and he locked the door and did his window up......so i stood there saying what a idiot he was etc etc and he wanted me to "come on" and now he is sat locked in his van like a baby......dnt tel me to come on when u dnt have the guts to carery it through.

mind u the mood he got me in it was best of he stayed in the van. jumped up little goit. traffic started to move i got back in car....he took the next turning LOL

it makes my bloody boil and makes my temper go awol. my mate was knocked of his cbr....rear ended by a man in a bmw on the phone. didnt see the stationary traffic and collided with his bike @ 45mph in a 30.

>:( >:(

Nice one mate! ;)