PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with people?

NiteW4tcher
06-07-11, 10:01 AM
as some of you are aware i set up my own bussiness a while ago.

its not going too bad (could be better lol)

but i am running into ....so far 3 people. non payers.

being on a learning curve myself i dont ask for a deposit or anything upfront...until now.

what is wrong with people.....they want a service which i provide and then think they can just not pay. >:(

i have to go and mnock on a door later on to find out where my money is

not sure how to go about things from there on

Dabz
06-07-11, 10:13 AM
Get used to it mate. I also run a business and non-payers and late payers are going to be the biggest challenge you face while in business. Assume that around 5% of everything you bill will not get paid (ever) and make sure you plan your cashflow VERY carefully.

Are you business-to-business or business-to-consumer? There are things you can try - discounts for payments made within 14 days, discounts for up-front payment. Do you have a book keeper? I have one to chase for me, so that we can play good cop bad cop - she chases the regular monies and then when I phone up they know it's serious :P

Good luck though - running a business is very challenging but also very rewarding! We've just closed off our 12th year of trading with our biggest profit yet, and this year is set to double that profit :D

470four
06-07-11, 10:53 AM
Im sure we can arrange a rideout one Sunday between said three residences? ;)

NiteW4tcher
06-07-11, 12:07 PM
Im sure we can arrange a rideout one Sunday between said three residences? ;)

lol sounds good to me................just collected 1 payment was akward but had to be done

Ryan
06-07-11, 12:43 PM
Just keep hassling them till they pay, when they realise your not just going to back off and get bored they will have to choice but to pay ;)

jonnydangerous
06-07-11, 12:53 PM
yup, a phone call every day to remind them will soon piss them off.
something along the lines of "sorry its 3am, its me again, thought this would be a convenient time to ring you as i knew youd be in, its about the £ you owe me, dont worry about forgetting, il keep reminding you at a time when i know youre in, and seeing as i like you il remind you every day".........

Ryan
06-07-11, 08:13 PM
a recently proved theory JD? :)

Mark_Able
06-07-11, 08:44 PM
How about someone who books a CBT, pays by cheque on the day, takes the course, then cancels the cheque the following day. Don't buy your bacon butties form Chris Sawyer, who runs the butty van on Bowerhill Industrial Estate. >:(

Ryan
06-07-11, 09:04 PM
What a ****er did u get the money from him?

HensonA
06-07-11, 09:10 PM
If he's still on Bowerhill Ind Est ........

wiltshire builders
06-07-11, 09:11 PM
just collected 1 payment was akward but had to be done

When I started out I used to have the same problem.
What I do now is say "I will be finishing on.....so will you be paying by cheque or cash"

You then give them a look that says "I'm a consummate professional, value your custom and respect you as an equal, but if don't get my money, I'll smash your f*cking head in"

The look takes years to learn but is highly effective.

A classic excuse is the old "I need to transfer the money from my other account"

Just remember less is more. Don't speak, just stare at them forcing them to come up with an alternative. As soon as you show any leniency, you're not getting your money.

They're the one who should feel awkward. Would they tell sainsburys that they'll put a cheque in the post?

Hope this helps

Nooj
06-07-11, 09:35 PM
I believe you can charge interest on unpaid invoices. And of course the courts are on your side (as are a lot of big bikers).

I've not had anyone stiff me for money yet, but I've had a few people say they're going to turn up for a treatment then never show up, not even letting me know they're not going to turn up (a couple of them from this forum!).

I used to try and get everything ready for when a customer turned up here at home, save time setting up, looking efficient etc. I don't bother getting my kit out of the van until they're at the gate now, every booking is provisional until they actually arrive. Makes you very cynical.

Ryan
07-07-11, 12:36 AM
lol nige, you have one thing on your side being your in possession of their keys untill they pay, you could sell someone's bike for more than £50 heheh ;D

Roxy
07-07-11, 10:07 AM
How about someone who books a CBT, pays by cheque on the day, takes the course, then cancels the cheque the following day. Don't buy your bacon butties form Chris Sawyer, who runs the butty van on Bowerhill Industrial Estate. >:(

That's bloody awful!!!!!! cheeky b*stard! >:(

Dabz
07-07-11, 10:56 AM
Ride-out to bowerhill next then? All order bacon sarnies, then bugger off before paying :P