PDA

View Full Version : bike jeans

wiggy
26-07-11, 11:19 PM
Any one used the kevlar bike jeans i am thinking of getting a pair to replace my leater ones as the stiching has gone to buggery ,are they as good as theadverts say will they protect even close to leather? i get free knee and hip pads lol . :o

wiltshire builders
26-07-11, 11:32 PM
Stacey uses them. Send him a PM. I suppose you really have to have had an off in both leathers and kevlar jeans to be able to compare though.

newnut
27-07-11, 12:02 AM
leather is the best thing to wear. the jeans are a hell of a lot better than an average pair of jeans. I found this for you with a quick search, cheap motorcycle jeans...
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Leathers-jackets-suits/2011/June/jun1411-held-fame-biker-jeans/
draggin jeans are sposed to be the ones to have. still wouldnt wear them on the motorway myself

wiggy
27-07-11, 12:07 AM
Cool thanks ill ask Stacey,yer was hoping someone may have known someone who had a slide with some i know how well my leathers cope had a high side a few years ago and went on my head ass n thigh for a long way ,other than taking the black off and leaving few deep lines i had no real damage to them and protected me well for cheap ones.Wasnt that fast to be honest around 60 ish fast enough though lol .

wiggy
27-07-11, 12:08 AM
leather is the best thing to wear. the jeans are a hell of a lot better than an average pair of jeans. I found this for you with a quick search, cheap motorcycle jeans...
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Leathers-jackets-suits/2011/June/jun1411-held-fame-biker-jeans/
draggin jeans are sposed to be the ones to have. still wouldnt wear them on the motorway myself
Thank you :)

newnut
27-07-11, 12:10 AM
trust me at 60 you would of known if you wernt wearing leathers! i remember my dad pulling stones out of my elbows and hip from a crash at about 40! i had a bomber jacket and jeans on. both needed binnin.

wiggy
27-07-11, 12:11 AM
Bloody hell there not very good at all new leathers then , thanks for that Newnut . :)

newnut
27-07-11, 12:14 AM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] no probs mate

BladeTriple
27-07-11, 07:14 AM
Hi,

I had a big spill as most here who saw the state of my hip and the pictures of my bike will tell you , hitting another bike side on going thru his front end and forks. I was thrown over my handlebars and slid down the road on my face landing heavy on my chest etc.

My leather jacket is covered in scrapes, the zips destroyed etc. My Kevlar Draggin Jeans that I bought from Fowlers held together. I had bruising on my thigh from the impact with the handlebars and the other rider , you would have got that anyway leathers or jeans and the damage to my jeans is minimal. Yes there is some scuffing and a small hole in them now , I will replace them when I get my settlement, however they held together better than my jacket did .

I would highly recommend Draggin Jeans , I really would. Any company where the owner is that confident that he gets dragged down the road on his @rse at 60mph behind a truck TWICE obviously do the job alright.

There are a lot of 'Kevlar' Jeans out there, but like with anything, you get what you pay for and those who saw my jeans since the accident will tell you that they held together extremely well.

The only thing I would say and this will go for any set of seperates that don't join up is, if you do come off , like I did and go gravel down, it can still give you a nasty case of gravel rash if your jacket rides up and exposes skin..... Personally I'd give Draggin Jeans a massive 5 stars and a huge thumbs up , add to that they breathe better than leather and you don't look as out of place walking round town in them either.

Lis'

Jon_W
27-07-11, 08:05 AM
I use Draggin jeans from time to time. I recon they are a lot better than normal jeans, offering at least some abrasion resistance, but I'd never rely on them in the same way as leathers.

Squashed_Fly
27-07-11, 08:18 AM
There's a reason why GP riders wear leathers rather than draggin jeans.....

If you're going to the pub/town etc in 30-40mph roads, then great. Anything above that, I wouldn't wear anything but leathers/textiles

Dabz
27-07-11, 08:28 AM
There's due to be a review of kevlar jeans in next month's Ride magazine including stress tests etc - I'll definitely be buying a copy for that alone. I love riding in mine but would be interested to know how much better/worse they are from leathers

SF - I would suspect that GP riders wear tight fitting leathers instead of jeans for aero qualities not just protection...

Kevinb
27-07-11, 08:50 AM
I have a pair of kevlar jeans and they will give protection against abrasion but if you hit a kerb or land badly they would be useless. They are Great for not having that saggy arse leather look when you have arrived somewhere though. I still haven't found a herd big enough to provide me with leather jeans yet ;D

Mutt
27-07-11, 08:56 AM
I`d stick to leather, in a recent programme on tv they showed one of the benefits of leather, it slides.

I think it was on one of the moto gp programmes!

All the riders still wear leather because of this benefit, although I think the airbags in the suits might have something to do with it.

Snowy
27-07-11, 09:23 AM
I doubt it makes any real difference what you are wearing if you hit a solid object at speed. The benefit in wearing leathers is their wear resistance during a slide down the road and thats why racers wear them. In years gone by, the differential between textiles and leathers in this regard was huge, now I should think that gap is much smaller, but how much I don't know. The use of modern materials and more technical knowledge about how things wear during a slide I'm sure is helping to bridge the gap including the use of kevlar.

Airbags would work equally as well with textiles as with leather - there are quite a few over jackets already available.

wiggy
27-07-11, 10:37 AM
I was going down the textile road because there more breathable than my leather jeans ,well my jeans are falling to bits lol so there a few vents in them now lol ,im wondering how much protection my cordura wet gear would provide in a spill? i found some buffalow jeans with ce knee and hip pads,1.5 mm with double stiched seams and reinforced butt lol need that with me :o for £90 new .hopefully it will zip to my jacket ok . :)

Dabz
27-07-11, 11:15 AM
I slid down the road in my textiles in January and you wouldn't even know...admittedly only a 15mph ish slide but no marks whatsoever.

Just as well really because it was the 2nd time I'd worn them since new..

BB
27-07-11, 12:48 PM
They weren't designed for ice skating Dabz! ;D

BB

Jon_W
27-07-11, 01:08 PM
Odd..... I made the same joke.... and the post has vanished???? :-? Bloody computers.

Ice isn't known for it's abrasive properties!!!

Nico_babe
27-07-11, 01:12 PM
I have draggin jeans that i wear quite often and i love them. They fit really well and granted there isnt much padding for when you have impact but they will protect again the gravel for sure. the Kevlar insets in the draggin jeans is in all the right spots and because of the extra layer the jeans are quite warm.

Im wearing them in my avatar pic

Dabz
27-07-11, 01:31 PM
plus (and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this) a biker wearing jeans and a bike jacket looks cool :P

Jon_W
27-07-11, 01:39 PM
the Kevlar insets in the draggin jeans is in all the right spots and because of the extra layer the jeans are quite warm.

That much is very true. They are warmer than normal jeans.

HensonA
27-07-11, 01:42 PM
.. I sometimes wear Draggin Jeans. Very comfortable and good quality. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bubblylittleme
27-07-11, 02:55 PM
Following days spent looking up reviews I bought Hood jeans.
http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/acatalog/hood-motorcycle-jeans-feedback.html
They are completely lined with kevlar unlike a lot of biker jeans that just have kevlar on knees and hips. I also bought knee and hip armour for them and following giving your inside leg they come the correct length.

http://www.twowheelsontrack.com/index.jsp?USMID=114
Draggin jeans also had a great write up though but were more expensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKzAORD35I

wiltshire builders
27-07-11, 04:45 PM
plus (and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this) a biker wearing jeans and a bike jacket looks cool :P
(speechless)

Rabb
05-08-11, 09:17 PM
Leathers all the way! One of the three things that my dad told me to stick by.

These being:-
1. Never have an endowment mortgage.
2. Always buy the best tyres that you can afford.
3. Always wear your leathers on your bike.

Cheers, Rabb.

Squashed_Fly
05-08-11, 10:37 PM
Your dad was a sensible man Rabb!

BladeTriple
05-08-11, 10:48 PM
No longer hanging off the bike trying to scrape my shoulder and elbow on tarmac , grown up a bit and I know my textiles and draggin jeans hold together in a spill :) I'm sticking with the none dead cow/kangaroo on my bod option :)

Ride safe, it's dangerous out there . !!! ;)

wiggy
05-08-11, 11:24 PM
yer i prefer textile bottoms but i do love my jacket had it some years its like an old friend smelly n wrinkly like me lol , iwill ware my textile armoured cordura trousers untill funds allow new kit .thanks everyone for advice and input its been very worth while and informative :)

Rabb
06-08-11, 12:21 AM
Your dad was a sensible man Rabb!

That he was!
All three have rung true over a thirty year period.

StreetHippo
06-08-11, 01:18 AM
I have a pair of Hood jeans, I like them, much better in summer!
I have leather too. For popping to the pub I like 'em but it's leather or textiles for longer runs or wet weather ;)

Stu

Dex
07-08-11, 11:05 PM
I wear Hood jeans on the bike a lot. Got two pairs now as I'm so happy with them.

I've done a couple of little tours in europe - one was Normandy to Berlin in a day, the other (couple of weeks ago) we down through France, then Northern Spain, along the Pyrenees and back.

Wore Hood jeans for both. Was more than happy with them.

We all make a compromise when we pick what safety equipment we are riding our bikes - every one of us. It's just a matter of us all finding the compromise between protection in an accident, cost, convenience, comfort and so on.