PDA

View Full Version : Horticulture advise on growing grass! LOL

Roxy
16-08-11, 11:11 PM
When I bought my house 2 years ago it was what I can only describe as a **** tip and not fit for an animal to live in let alone humans. It was totally renovated over the course of the first few months and still has some work to do on it but it feels like a new house inside now (probably because it pretty much is).

This year was the turn of the garden, it was cleared of 6' deep brambles, crap, mattresses, old sheds, trees, bikes, slabs etc etc to reveal a much bigger garden than I first thought...which is great! :) Now the boundry fence has been erected and painted (thanks DD!) the new shed has been built and the side gate and ramp fitted (thanks Dad) I really need to get my head around the ground... and although I have an idea that I wont be able to do it until next spring I was wondering if any of you are budding gardeners/landscape geeks etc and can advise me of what grass grows best, quickest and is hardy to being ridden over on my bike. I have an area that is now just dirt where the ground has been adjusted for the bike access and I want grass on it so that Alf can play on it when it's not in use by me. I have done some research on the net and there are so many different varieties out there all claiming to be the best that I am more than a little confused!

Any tips, thoughts or recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks

Roxy x

Snowy
16-08-11, 11:28 PM
Mixed Rye grass is usually a good bet. What's the soil type....chalk, clay, light, heavy? If its compacted it will need to be lifted and turned or use a rotavator if you can beg steal or borrow one (I have one but its heavyyyyyy). Buying turf is the quickest, easiest and most expensive method...seed is cheapest but takes more effort and takes longer.

Scotty
17-08-11, 12:10 AM
One issue with Rye grasses is that they grow quickly (it's why they're used a lot in agriculture) - sounds good, but the quicker it grows, the more often you need to cut it! ::) Call into a garden centre, they should know...

Hunar
17-08-11, 03:00 AM
erm........

No I won't..............

Tempted though!

Snowy
17-08-11, 07:50 AM
http://www.thegrassroute.co.uk/default.asp?subpageId=2&navi=6&subNavi=2

Beamer
17-08-11, 08:12 AM
erm........

No I won't..............

Tempted though!

Wondered how long it'd take ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nelly
17-08-11, 09:52 AM
erm........

No I won't..............

Tempted though!

Wondered how long it'd take ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yup, i was sort of expecting it as well.

Dabz
17-08-11, 10:05 AM
as soon as I saw the topic I thought "Hunar, you're up..."

Roxy
17-08-11, 10:16 AM
;D ;D ;D

I'm being serious guys!!! stop it!!
;D ;D ;D

(but yes I knew it was coming!) ::)

Roxy xx

Dabz
17-08-11, 10:22 AM
I turfed mine, couldn't be faffed with seeds and stopping birds from eating the seeds, keeping it watered etc...just bought some rolls of turf for about £3 each, job done.

But then I'm lazy when it comes to DIY and gardening :P

Roxy
17-08-11, 10:34 AM
hmm I thought about turf as it will be quicker and I should be able to ride over it pretty quickly on the bike I guess? but I really wanted to use seed (God knows why!!)

It's not birds I worry about in my garden but CATS and in particular the poo http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy205/bloody_bagheera/Smileys/furious-smiley.gif It's just vile.

Bloody things!

Roxy xxx

Gerry
17-08-11, 10:44 AM
hmm I thought about turf as it will be quicker and I should be able to ride over it pretty quickly on the bike I guess? but I really wanted to use seed (God knows why!!)

It's not birds I worry about in my garden but CATS and in particular the poo http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy205/bloody_bagheera/Smileys/furious-smiley.gif It's just vile.
Bloody things!
Roxy xxx

How can you possibly say that about one of Gods most lovely creatures K ?

They are cute and cuddly and just so intelligent and awesome, especially the little baby kittens who are so much fun with their jumping and playing and being lovely - I love them, even the ones that poo in the garden, and it’s good for the plants and everything.

You only have to hold one in your hand with their tiny little noses and cute little eyes to fall in love with them forever. I would fill my house with the little cuties if the Landlord wasn’t such a nasty cat hating person.

Shame on you I say K, shame on you.

Lovely Gerry :P

Roxy
17-08-11, 10:52 AM

Bloody things!
Roxy xxx

How can you possibly say that about one of Gods most lovely creatures K ?

They are cute and cuddly and just so intelligent and awesome, especially the little baby kittens who are so much fun with their jumping and playing and being lovely - I love them, even the ones that poo in the garden, and it’s good for the plants and everything.

You only have to hold one in your hand with their tiny little noses and cute little eyes to fall in love with them forever. I would fill my house with the little cuties if the Landlord wasn’t such a nasty cat hating person.

Shame on you I say K, shame on you.

Lovely Gerry :P

TURNCOAT!!

I see exactly what you are doing Simpson!

Good cop/Bad cop huh :-?...you've shown your true dark side and people know the real G now so stop back tracking!! ;D

Roxy xx

DaytonaDog
17-08-11, 12:22 PM
Have you thought about covering that area with artificial grass. Very sturdy, would stand up to the bike going over it and easy to clean should one of those horrid feline creatures leave you one of their gifts.

Snowy
17-08-11, 01:27 PM
Thats a good idea from DD. You could also put some rubber matting down where the bike goes so grass grows though it but you won't end up with bare patches.

Dabz
17-08-11, 01:40 PM
artificial grass gets VERY slippery when wet though, not great on a slope for a bike :/

Roxy
17-08-11, 02:03 PM
:-/ not keen or the artificial stuff, I know it can be slippy when wet so I'll stick to the real green stuff.

I like to mow a lawn you know!http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys%20Summer/Smiley05.gif

Rabb
17-08-11, 03:38 PM
Growing from seed is the best, cheapest but also the most labour intensive.
I have used all methods and in my opinion if something is worth doing it's worth doing well - therefore grass seed all the way!
1. Rotovate - hire for the weekend.
2. Take all stones / rocks & clay out.
3. Break down top 4 inches to a fine tilth.
4. Roll top with roller.
5. Seed & water.
6. Water every evening with a sprinkler.
7. Within a couple of weeks it will start to cover and within 4 weeks it will be a nice green mass.
8. Fill in gaps with seed & water daily.
9. Hey presto - your own lawn that YOU have grown.

Seeded is a much better option than turf - the rewards far outweigh the efforts!
Best of luck - whatever you decide to go with!

Geordie Stu
17-08-11, 04:14 PM
What size area you looking to cover.

Turf is the better way to go. Best time to lay turf is September. Growth rate slows due to coming into winter months also need alot of water. Rain & more rain during winter.
Got my Turf from.
Norbin Farm, Norbin, Box, Corsham, Wiltshire SN13 8JJ
01225 866907

wiltshire builders
17-08-11, 04:47 PM
I've been trying to get my lawn looking good for years. I feed and water it and at the end of the summer it looks great. By mid autumn it looks awful and it's down to some bloody Leylandii trees sucking all the moisture out of the ground. I've written to the council and got no reply.
Anyone got a chainsaw?

Rabb
17-08-11, 05:42 PM
I've been trying to get my lawn looking good for years. I feed and water it and at the end of the summer it looks great. By mid autumn it looks awful and it's down to some bloody Leylandii trees sucking all the moisture out of the ground. I've written to the council and got no reply.
Anyone got a chainsaw?

Yep - got two!
And a license

Advice - phone the council and ask to speak to their Tree Officer

Explain the problem to him / her and ask what they are going to do about it.

In Autumn you need to scarify, rake and feed.
How close are these to your house foundations? You can guess where I'm going with this?
Take it from there.....

Roxy
18-08-11, 10:38 AM
Growing from seed is the best, cheapest but also the most labour intensive.
I have used all methods and in my opinion if something is worth doing it's worth doing well - therefore grass seed all the way!
1. Rotovate - hire for the weekend.
2. Take all stones / rocks & clay out.
3. Break down top 4 inches to a fine tilth.
4. Roll top with roller.
5. Seed & water.
6. Water every evening with a sprinkler.
7. Within a couple of weeks it will start to cover and within 4 weeks it will be a nice green mass.
8. Fill in gaps with seed & water daily.
9. Hey presto - your own lawn that YOU have grown.

Seeded is a much better option than turf - the rewards far outweigh the efforts!
Best of luck - whatever you decide to go with!

Cheers Rabb, I think I would prefer to seed it, I know its probably a longer slower process but early spring the bike prob wont be out riding over it so should give it a few weeks to bed in and settle.

G, thanks for the link, looks Good :)..the other one people seem to rave about is that Canada grass stuff??

Roxy x

Rossio
18-08-11, 09:13 PM
Anyone got a chainsaw?

yeh!a big one! lets go bush wacking!

Scotty
18-08-11, 10:56 PM
If you want to grow good grass, you need to watch Trailer Park Boys for some tips.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Rossio
19-08-11, 05:58 AM
growing grass is easy roxy, spray off what grass is already there is the most important bit...keeps the new stuff weed free,good dose of cow "fertiliser", rotivate, for lawn grass you dont need to make tilth that deep,grass is very shallow rooting 2 or 3" will be fine, stick ur seed on n roll it down, when its dry obv otherwise your seed will stick to your roller,easy!and if you want to be really clever use an agricultural italian rye seed mix for where your bike goes over, its alot tougher and more durable compared to proper"lawn grass"

how big is your garden gate??? il bring the plough and the combi drill round.....be much faster ;D

Roxy
19-08-11, 10:02 AM
growing grass is easy roxy, spray off what grass is already there is the most important bit...keeps the new stuff weed free,good dose of cow "fertiliser", rotivate, for lawn grass you dont need to make tilth that deep,grass is very shallow rooting 2 or 3" will be fine, stick ur seed on n roll it down, when its dry obv otherwise your seed will stick to your roller,easy!and if you want to be really clever use an agricultural italian rye seed mix for where your bike goes over, its alot tougher and more durable compared to proper"lawn grass"

how big is your garden gate??? il bring the plough and the combi drill round.....be much faster ;D

LMAO - It's big but not that big!! ;D ;D but thanks for the offer [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

The trouble I have is that as the top 4" of soil has already been removed, I have only a couple of inches (2-4") left of good soil then its pretty much clay :(. The ground can't be any higher or the 'sloping bend' would be too steep for the bike and I would end up on my arse on the ars6! ;D But if all I really need is 2-3" for the roots I'm hoping I may get away with it from what you have said ...we will see! I'll prep some more, buy some seed, throw it down, water it, and watch for the bowling green to appear!!! LOL

If all else fails...concrete!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Roxy x