PDA

View Full Version : i saw an adder

Rossio
16-08-11, 05:24 PM
i saw an adder eating a toad in the corn field yesterday......quite big he was, no relevance i know but it was pretty cool, was going to sneak up on it and do the whole steve irwin thing but came to my sences and hopped back on the combine, probably for the best really.

NoYou
16-08-11, 05:41 PM
Pretty common tbh, seen quite a few arround here

Jacde
16-08-11, 06:47 PM
I've got a hedgehog in my garden that's eating the slugs and snails, nothing as exotic as an Adder

wiltshire builders
16-08-11, 07:11 PM
I've got a hedgehog in my garden that's eating the slugs and snails, nothing as exotic as an Adder
Have you heard the noise hedgehogs make? Sounds like a cat being strangled. Never seen an adder though. Feel like i'm missing out.

Squashed_Fly
16-08-11, 09:58 PM
Ross - use a stick to pin it just behind the head, then use three fingers to pick it up by its head. Keep your fingers behind the skull as they can bite straight through the bottom of their mouth to get you...

On second thoughts, just leave it alone!

My friend got bitten by his pet adder. He was fine, bit sick for a few days though. They're only really dangerous to babies, old people & pets

Roxy
16-08-11, 10:34 PM
i saw an adder eating a toad in the corn field yesterday......quite big he was, no relevance i know but it was pretty cool, was going to sneak up on it and do the whole steve irwin thing but came to my sences and hopped back on the combine, probably for the best really.

How on earth did you see an adder from your gert mahoosive combine arvester?

Good call to just ignore it though...hate snakes and spiders - one has no legs and the other has too many! ewwww ;D

Roxy x

Rossio
16-08-11, 10:47 PM
i dont actually know,just caught my eye lol

Ryan
18-08-11, 09:40 PM
never seen an adder, or even a grass snake come to think of it, on my list of things i want to see :P

Squashed_Fly
19-08-11, 07:10 AM
never seen an adder, or even a grass snake come to think of it, on my list of things i want to see :P

Pop in to Cotswold Reptiles.... They have one called Aaron on the counter :)

Geordie Stu
20-08-11, 08:57 PM
Was it Black...?

Ryan
21-08-11, 12:05 AM
lol a snake called Aaron hahaha

my mate has a snake called Nigel LOL

Squashed_Fly
21-08-11, 08:58 AM
Aaron the Asp!

I nearly bought him when I was doing my DWA training. But the license cost for keeping front fanged venomous snakes where I lived was too much - about £1600 a year! I had a False Water Cobra & a Mangrove Viper instead as they're rear fanged but still pack a punch!

I miss my snakes.... :(

Ryan
21-08-11, 10:57 PM
wouldn't want to keep any in my house, my mates snake Nigel escaped once and his dad found it at 5am when putting his trousers on ahah nearly screamed the house down apparently lol

Col
22-08-11, 12:45 AM
lol a snake called Aaron hahaha

my mate has a snake called Nigel LOL

hhahahhahhahahahahahhaa pmsl !!!!!!

bot-- never seen one in the wild so amazed you noticed it from a combine Rossio and eating a toad--pity you didn't get a pic.

Squashed_Fly
22-08-11, 07:16 AM
his dad found it at 5am when putting his trousers on

Ah yes... The lesser spotted trouser snake.... ;D

@bj
22-08-11, 10:09 AM
Don't think I've ever seen an Adder in the wild - used to keep slow worms as a kid... gotta be careful when hunting them though - never grab by the tail - as they can pull off the 'ol tail detachy trick...

Saw a cute baby lizard at the bottom of my garden a few years ago - must have been not much more than an inch in size - my inability to capture a decent picture with a phone camera (too close - unable to focus - further away - came out like a pin dot) was the trigger for me to buy a DSLR camera that I had been musing on & off about buying for a while..

That was 3 years ago - now every holiday or walk in the country is a photo oppertunity - a purchase decision I've never regretted...

On a ride out yesterday came across a scotty dog called Kevin in Burton on the Water...

Rabb
22-08-11, 11:40 AM

ROFAL..........!

Col
22-08-11, 12:15 PM

Thanks Fly now I'm cleaning egg sandwich outta me keyboard ;D ;D

Squashed_Fly
22-08-11, 02:22 PM
No worries, It's only fair that I bring a little joy to the forum every now and then, to balance out all the 'other stuff'! lol

Ryan
22-08-11, 08:59 PM
Don't think I've ever seen an Adder in the wild - used to keep slow worms as a kid... gotta be careful when hunting them though - never grab by the tail - as they can pull off the 'ol tail detachy trick...

Same as that ;)

wiggy
22-08-11, 11:48 PM

Saw a cute baby lizard at the bottom of my garden a few years ago - must have been not much more than an inch in size - my inability to capture a decent picture with a phone camera (too close - unable to focus - further away - came out like a pin dot) was the trigger for me to buy a DSLR camera that I had been musing on & off about buying for a while..

That was 3 years ago - now every holiday or walk in the country is a photo oppertunity - a purchase decision I've never regretted...

On a ride out yesterday came across a scotty dog called Kevin in Burton on the Water...

i run Dslrs to love photography ,i have a fair shot of a lizzy ,got loads around here on sailsbury plain .Wot camera did you buy ?

@bj
23-08-11, 12:09 AM
Hi wiggs... Canon 40D...

@bj
23-08-11, 12:17 AM
Got a good bunch of lizard shots I took 3 years ago on Dellos... care for a lizard slam..?

Nooj
23-08-11, 12:40 AM
I got some good pictures of lizards basking on rocks by the shore of lake Garda. No idea where the pictures are now though.

Never seen a snake in the wild over here, one slithered out into the road in front of us while riding in Italy. Big bugger it was, about a metre long, bloody fast as well!

Jon_W
23-08-11, 03:27 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D

wiggy
23-08-11, 10:29 PM
Good camera the 40d :)

Harry87
24-08-11, 09:08 PM
You missed a trick there Rossio. Haven't you seen Mr Bear Grylls? Snakes are great for storing your urine in, as when you get thirsty, especially after all that hard work in the fields, you have a ready quenching drink for yourself.

@bj
25-08-11, 12:16 AM
You missed a trick there Rossio. Haven't you seen Mr Bear Grylls? Snakes are great for storing your urine in, as when you get thirsty, especially after all that hard work in the fields, you have a ready quenching drink for yourself.

Just to be clear...

Are you saying - your own urine is a thirst quenching drink..?

Rossio
25-08-11, 06:12 AM
dont fancy drinking urine.......hmmmmm odd

Harry87
25-08-11, 08:36 PM
in emergencies it can save your life apparently.....

Nooj
25-08-11, 08:43 PM
Can't taste as bad as Red Bull, surely??