PDA

View Full Version : Segways

Honda_Star
24-08-11, 01:08 PM
I went on a 'Segway' experience the other day at Berkshire 4x4 last week..

http://www.berkshire4x4.co.uk
(link amended - thanks Oakley)

Biking aside....it's the most fun I have had on two wheels! They are an absolute hoot and I recommend anyone to have a go if you get the chance!

You need to have relatively good balance but I am sure most of you do! :) Maybe we could organise one of their 'corporate' days for WB? It really was good fun :)

NiteW4tcher
24-08-11, 01:10 PM
i never get how they work :-?

Honda_Star
24-08-11, 01:14 PM
i never get how they work :-?

'A Segway works by employing gyroscopic balancing in order to keep the rider upright at all times no matter what. A gyroscope is able to use opposite momentum to keep things going in a constant direction.'

Basically to make the Segway move forward you gently lean your body forward - to slow down you lean back. Left and right are controlled by the bar in front of you (pushing left and right)

Great fun :) :)

NiteW4tcher
24-08-11, 01:15 PM
sounds like a hoot ;D

@bj
24-08-11, 01:29 PM
Maybe we could organise one of their 'corporate' days for WB?

That looks fun - sign me up...

(Star: The link is bit buggy - but got there in the end..)

Often shot past those streches of water that are M4 Reading and wondered what goes on there - if anything... now I know...

Dabz
24-08-11, 03:02 PM
Sounds fun! I'd be up for having a go!

YMFB
24-08-11, 08:05 PM
Chinese plod use them in Tianamen square and the Jimi Heselden, the inventor was found dead in a river after plunging 80 feet over a limestone cliff near his home after riding one.

But the do look fun

Harry87
24-08-11, 08:36 PM
We found a segway dealership/centre, while on the wb cornwall trip. They did an off road experience too. Can't remember the exact costs of experience days, though it was not exactly cheap. I imagine we could get a better deal if we promise a good group.

@bj
25-08-11, 12:05 AM
Jimi Heselden, the inventor was found dead in a river after plunging 80 feet over a limestone cliff near his home after riding one.

Dean Kamen was the inventor. Jimi Heselden bought the Segway company at some time later...

Uber Dave
29-08-11, 01:15 PM
We found a segway dealership/centre, while on the wb cornwall trip. They did an off road experience too. Can't remember the exact costs of experience days, though it was not exactly cheap. I imagine we could get a better deal if we promise a good group.

The longer experience which was about 3 hours was only about £30 if my memory serves me rightly.

Crosbie
31-08-11, 04:59 PM
will be riding about on road and off road segways on friday for free at my works 'corporate' day together with clay pigeon shooting and casting (fishing in a field with a lead weight) obviously not all at the same time.

Squashed_Fly
31-08-11, 05:22 PM
casting (fishing in a field )

Do you get a lot of fish in fields? :-?

Jacde
01-09-11, 12:54 AM
Sounds like a shift day out will be on the cards when I tell the lads about this.

When are the WB'ers doing it ;D