PDA

View Full Version : Good riddance News of the World!

redken1
07-07-11, 06:54 PM
We will see the last edition of the News of the World published this coming Sunday and in my opinion, b****y good riddance. I for one wouldn’t shed a tear if Murdoch’s other tabloid rag, The Sun, bit the dust too. All those years of high moral ground editorials in the NOTW during which time it appears staff of the paper were tapping in to the phones of the relatives who had just lost loved ones. Hypocrisy of the highest order. >:(

Mitch9128
07-07-11, 07:32 PM
Except it isn't gone really is it? The name is all that's going, the Sun will now become a 7 day rag with the same drivel printed for the hard of thinking.

FJ_Biker
07-07-11, 07:53 PM
I wonder what else will come out, paying the police has yet to hit the news big time. I suspect closing the news of the world is damage limitation for the Murdock empire. It will be interesting to see if his staff have been hacking phones in America.

The problem is he controls a vast amount of media in the UK so lots of people will be getting a distorted view from news international.

It will be interesting to see what parliament has to say about this as the political parties are scared of him, I'm 44 and cannot remember an election where the party he backed did not win.

I feel so sorry the people involved, speciality for the family's who have lost love ones who don't need this sort of crap in their lives.

I have a lot to say on this but a its a bike forum I will stop my post here.

Dabz
07-07-11, 08:36 PM
The Sun on Sunday is the intended replacement, same rag, different name

Ryan
07-07-11, 08:36 PM
Heard this on the news couldn't believe it :\

Mitch9128
07-07-11, 08:43 PM
They have already got the ball rolling http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=thesunonsunday.co.uk

Taylor86
07-07-11, 08:55 PM
I for one wouldn’t shed a tear if Murdoch’s other tabloid rag, The Sun, bit the dust too.

Not even for the loss of the legendary Page 3? ;)

redken1
07-07-11, 09:14 PM
Police receiving payments from NOTW for information? I am looking forward to watching the rabbits coming out of the hat to cover this one up. Did Murdoch know what was going on? A lot of rhetoric coming out of Downing Street but, I bet Cameron never mentioned the scandal at Murdoch’s recent garden party he attended. Old Vinnie boy must have been on to summit when he blurted out his concerns about Murdoch’s bid to takeover BSkyB? The pot thickens – luvin it

redken1
07-07-11, 09:24 PM
I for one wouldn’t shed a tear if Murdoch’s other tabloid rag, The Sun, bit the dust too.

Not even for the loss of the legendary Page 3? ;)

Wouldn't miss page 3 Jen - perhaps the biggest tits can be found in the editorial boardroom ;D

Nelly
08-07-11, 07:48 AM
"perhaps the biggest tits can be found in the editorial boardroom "

LOL nice one Ken

Jon_W
08-07-11, 07:56 AM
Alas Ken I cannot agree. The people being punished are the current staff who are all now out of a job. The perpetrators of the crimes committed are still in employment and being backed by the management.

Kevinb
08-07-11, 08:46 AM
Alas Ken I cannot agree. The people being punished are the current staff who are all now out of a job. The perpetrators of the crimes committed are still in employment and being backed by the management.

Yes I feel sorry for the staff approx 1400 will be out of a job and it will be hard to find another with 'News of the World' on their CV's.
Was never a news paper just 'Over the fence gossip' with the only real use being somewhere for your hamster or gerbil to cr*p on.

If it is true they tapped into greaving families phones then prison sentences should be the order of the day.

redken1
08-07-11, 06:24 PM

Sorry Jon, I failed to mention that the honest NOTW foot soldiers are the victims of the closure while the former Editor, Rebekah Brooks is still picking up her fat salary. ‘The little man’ always gets it in the neck. >:(

Keep it a secret ;) but, my curiosity got the better of me today and when my boss was not about I took a sneak preview of the NOTW’s sister paper, The Sun. In the true spirit of the tabloid and I suspect as a ploy to put some distance between the rag and its sibling, a bit of benefit cheat bashing was the editorial lead. Surprise, surprise, no mention of the NOTW fiasco. I don’t think Murdoch will pull the wool over his readers’ eyes with this one – “If you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows.”

Scotty
08-07-11, 07:40 PM
The Sunday Sun will be the same **** with a different name. Sometimes the news of the screws undertook proper investigative journalism and exposed true corruption, other times it was entrapment (get Fergie pissed and dangle a £500k carrot in front of her), and the rest of the time it was intrusive and inappropriate dirt-digging purely for sensationalist headlines to sell what I refer to advisedly as a "newspaper". Given the chance I'd chain the entire editorial team together (including Cameron's lackey who's been arrested) in orange Guantanamo suits and have them out cleaning ditches, in full view for the public to see and hurl abuse at. Just another part of Murdoch's evil empire >:( ****ers >:( >:( >:(

redken1
10-07-11, 12:06 AM
Nip out early peeps and make sure you get a copy of the last edition of the 'News of The World' Murdoch's giving away a free mobile phone with every paper.

Word of advice - make sure you change the sim card. ;D

470four
10-07-11, 07:27 AM
We are all forgetting the irony here...

Today as a last edition it will sell MILLIONS of copies to people who have probably never even read it before??

As much as I would like to buy one to show the great-grandchildren what toilet paper was in 2011 I will not be doing so.

Sales minimal today please! ;)

Kevinb
11-07-11, 08:55 AM
Yep saw lots of people (I use this word loosely) buying it in Tesco's yesterday. I'll stick with the Sunday Times (Yes some Sunday papers still have proper news in them

ChrisJo
11-07-11, 10:52 AM
Yep saw lots of people (I use this word loosely) buying it in Tesco's yesterday. I'll stick with the Sunday Times (Yes some Sunday papers still have proper news in them

Sunday Times is from the same stable. NoW will be back as somethjing else in a short time...

Squashed_Fly
11-07-11, 10:52 AM
I bought a copy.

For all the negativity the paper receives, it has done some good, interesting investigative journalism over the years. I read the Sunday Times as well, but sometimes you want a more light hearted look at life.

What the 'journalists' did in respect of the current headlines is attrocious, but it should be their heads on the block, not everyone elses at the paper.

Reading through Sundays edition, I can remember some of the good stuff they have covered and exposed over the years. But are they really to blame for what they print, or is it the public who buy it in their droves? If nobody wanted to read the trashy stuff, they wouldn't buy it and thus it wouldn't get printed. I couldn't care less about which celeb is snorting coke, and which star is having an affair with a 2 foot midget, high on crack and wearing suspenders. But the stories around Sarah Payne, Huntley etc that have genuinly uncovered newsworthy stories, were worth reading.

People are very quick to forget the good works that are produced, when it's overshadowed by such poor practice by a handful of individuals unfit to call themselves journalists.

Kevinb
11-07-11, 01:28 PM

Sunday Times is from the same stable. NoW will be back as somethjing else in a short time...

Yes produced by the same group but worlds apart in quality. You are right it will be back in another form. They are probably re employing most of the same journalists right now

SueZX4
11-07-11, 11:02 PM
I don't really trust any of the "biggies" paperwise, think they're all in some funny-hand-shake club, along with the dodgy MP's and high up bank managers.... SF, agree though, they print stuff that people will want to read, gloss it up, whatever, the paper sold, and sold well.... my take? where is "have i got news for you" when you need it??? I'd love to see what Paul Merton and Ian Hislop would have to say about it.. (or another "victim" of NOTW - Angus Deayton!) ;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
12-07-11, 08:01 AM
Didn't buy one.... never bought it, never will. It seemed to me that Shutting the paper 5 years after the event is somthing along the line of "shutting the stable door after the horse has feked off". This has more to do with BSky B than the News of the World.

redken1
12-07-11, 09:33 PM
S F, I have to disagree with your comments regarding the NOTW’s coverage of the tragic death of Sarah Payne in July 2000. You may recall that the rag led a campaign for a change in the law (“Sarah’s Law”). In essence, introduction of such a law would have meant that residents with children would have had the right to access information relating to the names and addresses of known paedophiles living in their locale.

In my view, the tactics adopted by the rag to bring pressure to bear on the government of the day was one of the most irresponsible examples of journalism I have ever seen. As part of its “name and shame,” policy the NOTW published the names and photographs of 49 sex offenders.

As a direct result of the NOTW action, lynch-mobs across the country decided to take the law in to their own hands. I remember watching the reports of numerous cases of misidentification, where innocent people were terrorised by the mobs. 60 people waving banners and shouting abuse attacked a house in Plymouth. The mob threw paint at the house which they had mistaken for the home of a paedophile. The family with small children were moved for their own safety. In another case, a man from Manchester was attacked by his neighbours who thought he was one of the 49 individuals named in the paper. Even the “Victims of Crime Trust” condemned the NOTW’s campaign.

Ironically, MPs opposed to the proposed “Sarah’s Law” repeatedly referred to the NOTW article as ammunition to further their argument against its introduction.

redken1
13-07-11, 06:48 AM

Yes produced by the same group but worlds apart in quality. You are right it will be back in another form. They are probably re employing most of the same journalists right now

Kev, did you see what former PM Brown had to say about Murdoch's Times on the BBC news last night?

Kevinb
13-07-11, 01:35 PM

Kev, did you see what former PM Brown had to say about Murdoch's Times on the BBC news last night?
Yes. I think I will stick with the Wiltshire Times or give up on newspapers all together

FJ_Biker
17-07-11, 08:21 PM
The Saga keeps on going.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14180043

The big question for News International did his staff hack the phones of the 911 victims? America will not mess around.

Squashed_Fly
17-07-11, 08:37 PM
I suspect this news item has a long journey ahead, during whicj it will almost undoubtedly be uncovered that all the newspapers are doing this. Fingers are already being pointed at The Sun & The Guardian and others will follow suit when people realise the only way the papers could have got hold of some of their stories is if they had hacked their phones/emails

Col
18-07-11, 02:14 AM
;D chief plod resigns ???????????? free stay in expensive health spa ???????????? list of freebies ???????? 'fresh pair of eyes needed' so promote the deputy ;D £1000 day of taxpayers cash to some PR ex NOTW bloke ???????

Plod is also investigating errrrr Plod :o

The fan has been well and truly covered ;D

Jon_W
18-07-11, 08:12 AM
I'd go with that.... it is hitting the fan and spraying everywhere.

redken1
18-07-11, 09:54 PM
Gonna watch the news to see who else has fallen on her/his sword. Expect to see some big-hitters from the murky world of politics to bite the dust in the forthcoming days/weeks

Cameron? ;)

pilninggas
18-07-11, 11:15 PM
+ whistlebower takes their own life, so all-in-all those responsible have some serious things to think about, even if they do manage to 'expensive-lawyer' their way out of trouble. :-/

Squashed_Fly
19-07-11, 06:40 AM
The plot thickens....

2 Senior Police officers resigned, and the original whistleblower found dead under 'mysterious but not suspicious' circumstances...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14194623

Scotty
19-07-11, 06:54 AM
So the evil emperor now has blood on his hands.... it'll be interesting to see how they wriggle when facing the inquiry >:( Amazing how posh twat Cameron was so naïve in employing Coulson, a natural born liar who denied any knowledge of phone hacking, what a load of bollocks. When's the stoning?

redken1
19-07-11, 07:16 AM
So the evil emperor now has blood on his hands.... it'll be interesting to see how they wriggle when facing the inquiry >:( Amazing how posh twat Cameron was so naïve in employing Coulson, a natural born liar who denied any knowledge of phone hacking, what a load of bollocks. When's the stoning?

+1
Perhaps a case of "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" ;)

redken1
20-09-11, 06:20 PM
According to today’s news reports, News International is close to reaching a £3million out-of-court settlement with the family of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler. It is reputed that the Dowlers would receive an unprecedented compensation deal of £2million and the remaining £1million would be donated to charity.

It is extremely unlikely that a civil court would have awarded such a huge sum, so why has Rupert Murdoch agreed to payout so much? Is it an admission of guilt over the phone hacking scandal?
:-/