PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

Kevinb
20-09-11, 09:05 AM
Heard on the news this morning about films showing smokers should be re classified as 18's. HOW STUPID. Next they will want bikers to wear fluorescent jackets ;D
Why don't they re classify the films showing people eating fast food to 18 as obesity now must be killing more people than smoking does.

Caz
20-09-11, 01:45 PM
Yeh whar next ;D ;D

redken1
20-09-11, 06:28 PM
Yeh whar next ;D ;D

Ye, and what about yesterday's report that shows 13.5million families in the UK have to make a choice between food or turning on the heating. If the politicians are serious about our health they should get their arse in to gear and do something about the shameful poverty that exists in one of the world's richest economies.

Sorry for the rant Kev >:( >:( >:(

Nelly
20-09-11, 06:33 PM
So, how about Dot Cotton on Eastenders?
They gonna re-classify that and show it after the watershed?
World's gone mad!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

redken1
20-09-11, 06:37 PM

She will have to give up Nelly and we can sit in our orange vests and watch her from the safety of our sofa made of cotton wool. >:(

Nelly
20-09-11, 06:41 PM

She will have to give up Nelly and we can sit in our orange vests and watch her from the safety of our sofa made of cotton wool. >:(

So that we can live to 150 years old yippee! 8-)
Trouble is the pensions etc etc would have run bone dry by then >:( ;)

cornishbob
20-09-11, 06:46 PM
you smoke near me and i punch you in the ****ing mouth - simples

Nelly
20-09-11, 06:49 PM

Charming....

Beamer
20-09-11, 07:46 PM

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT stand near the allocated smoking areas !! I fight back !! lmao ;D ;D

redken1
20-09-11, 08:13 PM
Rather a disproportionate and aggressive reaction from a tolerant biker, don’t you thing Bob? :o

Ryan
20-09-11, 08:14 PM
Ban smoking all together imho ;)

Nelly
20-09-11, 08:14 PM
Rather a disproportionate and aggressive reaction from a tolerant biker, don’t you thing Bob? :o

+1

redken1
20-09-11, 08:17 PM

And bikes on health and safety grounds? :P

Ryan
20-09-11, 08:21 PM
Ban bikes, pffffffft, i would start a mass riot if this ever happened ;)

redken1
20-09-11, 08:25 PM
Ban bikes, pffffffft, i would start a mass riot if this ever happened ;)

I would be right behind you with a fag in my gob. lol ;D

Ryan
20-09-11, 08:26 PM
LOL, Bikes are good for you! fags lead to lung cancer and emphysema

Beamer
20-09-11, 08:35 PM
The amount of tax on a packet of cigarettes funds god knows what for the non smokers......If ciggies were banned I wonder what would get taxed instead to claw back that missing revenue.....I smoke outside and you dont have to stand nearby......my choice :D :D :D :D :D

KP
20-09-11, 08:42 PM

what a statement to make lol..... guess you were at the back of the queue when they handed out decorum and tact (simples) :-X

redken1
20-09-11, 08:44 PM
The amount of tax on a packet of cigarettes funds god knows what for the non smokers......If ciggies were banned I wonder what would get taxed instead to claw back that missing revenue.....I smoke outside and you dont have to stand nearby......my choice :D :D :D :D :D

Tina, I’m not promoting smoking under any circumstances but. I suspect that in general terms through tobacco tax, smokers probably subsidise the NHS.

Beamer
20-09-11, 08:45 PM
Yup reckon you're right ken :) :) :)

redken1
20-09-11, 08:46 PM

Sorry to play the role of devil's advocate but the RTA statistics don't help your argument. ;)

Ryan
20-09-11, 09:00 PM
Shhhh lol ;)

Scotty
20-09-11, 11:07 PM

Sorry to play the role of devil's advocate but the RTA statistics don't help your argument. ;)

Smoking-related diseases kill thousands more people every year than die on bikes. Fact. Your argument is feeble and flawed. It's a ****ing revolting habit anyway, merely a form of drug addiction that makes the industry billions, not cool, not hip, not remotely attractive, plus it makes you stink - ask any non-smoker who has to be in close proximity to someone who does.

Charm
21-09-11, 12:20 AM
i was once arrested for attempted murder
but was only charged with GBH with intent to endanger life

Oh - thats ok then...

Anyone starting to notice a pattern here..?

cornishbob
21-09-11, 06:54 AM
sure theres a pattern. i dont put up with dumnasses

Beamer
21-09-11, 07:03 AM

Smoking-related diseases kill thousands more people every year than die on bikes. Fact. Your argument is feeble and flawed. It's a ****ing revolting habit anyway, merely a form of drug addiction that makes the industry billions, not cool, not hip, not remotely attractive, plus it makes you stink - ask any non-smoker who has to be in close proximity to someone who does.

Nothing like a bit of tact and diplomacy eh ........ but hey ho....Everyone has a right to an opinion....doesnt mean we have to agree....thats what makes us all so different and tolerant of anothers idiosyncrasies.......... also it makes the world such an interesting place ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Beamer
21-09-11, 03:58 PM
sure theres a pattern. i dont put up with dumnasses

Nor do I ............ DUMB ASSES!!!!!

StreetHippo
21-09-11, 05:21 PM
I used to smoke but gave up.
About the same time I took up riding.

People should be allowed to make choices, we are still (just about) a democracy after all.

Back to topic, they should then re-classify all films for violence and sexual content, as any A&E department will tell you on a Fri night or STD clinic on a Mon morning ;)

Stu

Wes
21-09-11, 06:14 PM
Its just down to personal choice, and as usual they're trying to take it away from you. I did smoke, don't now, my choice , but it doesn't bother me if others do.

wiltshire builders
21-09-11, 06:15 PM
i was once arrested for attempted murder
but was only charged with GBH with intent to endanger life

Oh - thats ok then...

Anyone starting to notice a pattern here..?
One of you likes smoking and the other likes punching people in the f*cking mouth. Both are harmless pastimes that have been enjoyed for centuries. Live and let live I say so to both of you I say all the bes.......wait a minute!
Strangeness, did you post on the forum without introducing yourself first? People like you make me sick!

cornishbob
21-09-11, 06:20 PM
what a good thread

redken1
21-09-11, 06:46 PM

Scotty, you have taken my previous comments out of context. I am not disputing the fact that thousands more people die as a direct result of smoking than die on bikes. Moreover, despite the fact that I am a nicotine addict, I would discourage anyone from starting to smoke.

My post was a direct response to Rinksy’s submission. With the greatest respect to Rinksy, I’m sure that even he would agree that his statement, “Bikes are good for you” is ambiguous and is therefore, open to different interpretations. In light of the fact that a biker is 25 times more likely to die than a car driver, I don’t agree with you that my response was “feeble.” That said I respect your opinion, even if you do feel the need to use foul language to get your point across.
;)

Rabb
21-09-11, 08:46 PM
I smoke, and I enjoy it - I class it as an expensive hobby!

Nelly
21-09-11, 08:58 PM
what a good thread

It was. Until you, someone who i have never even met, started threatening me. I'm glad that, at the moment, you don't live near me.

Maria
21-09-11, 09:05 PM
well said nelly

KP
21-09-11, 09:17 PM
i love a good debate :) but i do agree with Ken why is there a need for foul language, i hear enough of it at work, now i`ve got to read it on here.

ps well said Nelly [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Last Train
21-09-11, 09:23 PM
A good thread ?

Not one mention of Joe Frazier... WTF ! ::)

RedSoul
21-09-11, 10:26 PM
I have stopped smoking for nearly 2 years and quite proud of the fact but for you "cornishnob" i will make an exception.
If i ever see you on a ride-out i will personally blow an entire cigarette over you ;D ;D ;D

cornishbob
22-09-11, 06:39 AM
i'll look forward to it

Ducatista
22-09-11, 08:42 AM
I am not disputing the fact that thousands more people die as a direct result of smoking than die on bikes.

One thing needs to be made clear here.
Cigarettes are pretty much unique in the fact that they cannot be used safely when used as intended.
Bikes, knives and guns etc. can all be used safely and put to good use.
That's an important distinction I think and makes cigarettes unique.

However we should have choice and tolerance and that's what we are all fighting for on Sunday right?

People that smoke should be allowed to do so as long as they don't harm others and make a contribution to the NHS via the tax.

I can't believe there is any argument about this when we are fighting for choice on Sunday.

Rossio
22-09-11, 01:34 PM
lol what a chuckle this one is, i smoke, listen to hip hop, guess that makes me hip, and when im holding up a 100 cars with the tractor.... damn right im cool ;D ;D ;D tounge in cheek scotty! ;)

oh and bob, prob best you find a mine shaft in camborne n crawl in it,be safer than offending everyone and then moving up ;)

jonnydangerous
22-09-11, 02:16 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... taxes on cigarettes keeps the fuel duty down, let people smoke themselves to death as long as it prevents fuel prices rising EVEN more!!!!!
if you ban smoking they will add the required duty onto fuel..... :'(

redken1
22-09-11, 06:04 PM
I am not disputing the fact that thousands more people die as a direct result of smoking than die on bikes.

One thing needs to be made clear here.
Cigarettes are pretty much unique in the fact that they cannot be used safely when used as intended.
Bikes, knives and guns etc. can all be used safely and put to good use.
That's an important distinction I think and makes cigarettes unique.

However we should have choice and tolerance and that's what we are all fighting for on Sunday right?

People that smoke should be allowed to do so as long as they don't harm others and make a contribution to the NHS via the tax.

I can't believe there is any argument about this when we are fighting for choice on Sunday.

Ducatista, (sorry I don’t know your first name) I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said and you are right to point out the difference between cigarettes and bikes, etc.

Informed adults who smoke know the risks that are involved.

What really concerns me is that as a society we appear to have adopted a “Hammer to crack a nut” attitude towards many aspects of our lives. Ban smoking, ban ‘hoodies,’ ban cheap alcohol, ban fast bikes, etc etc. In my view, we should be addressing many of the aforesaid issues and others through education instead of always seeking to introduce ill thought out legislation for a quick fix.

I am well aware of the risks every time I jump on my 150bhp bike but, that is my choice and I’m not giving it up without a fight. Roll on Sunday.

kurt
22-09-11, 07:29 PM
do roll ups count ?
they dont smoke as much and keep going out in there defence.

cornishbob
22-09-11, 07:34 PM
i have no objection with anyone smoking - its a free choice
my objection is the assumption that i wont mind breathing in the smoke
you want to smoke go ahead but refrain from allowing it to infiltrate my space

not much to ask is it

redken1
22-09-11, 08:22 PM
The revenue the Chancellor of the Exchequer raised from VAT and Excise duty from the sale of all tobacco products in the UK: 2008-09 £10 Billion, 2009-10 £10.5 Billion, 2010-11(p) £11.1 Billion. Source: (HMRC) :o

I have read a number of reports relating to the cost to the NHS for the treatment of smoking related illnesses/diseases. The estimates within the respective reports vary from £5billion to £6.5 billion per annum. Taking the highest figure, this equates to a net gain of £4.6 billion for the last financial year. It’s worth noting that if everyone stopped smoking tomorrow the NHS would not save anywhere near £5 to 6.5 billion overtime. This is because millions of the now non-smokers would require treatment for illnesses/diseases not associated with smoking. (we all gotta go some way) :'(

I must emphasise that I’m not defending or trying to justify smoking, merely challenging the myth that smokers place a heavy financial burden on the NHS.

No wonder successive UK governments have waged war on the smugglers bringing tobacco contraband in to the UK. Time for a coffee and a duty-free (acquired legally of course) rollie.
;D

Morticia
22-09-11, 10:44 PM
I was talking to a lady at work who claims eroin works out cheaper than ciggies. WTF?!

redken1
22-09-11, 10:47 PM
I was talking to a lady at work who claims eroin works out cheaper than ciggies. WTF?!

50 grammes of golden virginia £15 here and I paid under £4 for it in Gibralter recently

Morticia
22-09-11, 10:54 PM

50 grammes of golden virginia £15 here and I paid under £4 for it in Gibralter recently

Bloody hell!

wiltshire builders
23-09-11, 07:37 AM
scarily enough, it's actually better for you too.

Beamer
23-09-11, 04:38 PM
scarily enough, it's actually better for you too.

Shame its illegal i suppose..........and since I have been smoking I never been asked to put my house up as 'for bail' for a stupid person who got caught trying to smuggle it into the country (this was many many years ago)

Col
23-09-11, 05:05 PM
aha the ever present 'smoking' thread as found everywhere---yawn!!!!!

Yeah it is bad for you--I don't need money wasted by governments with info on it.

Yeah it is ludicrously taxed by thieving governments[400%-IF 80% is duty and vat] to fund the killing of innocent foreigners--strange use of punitive taxation under the guise of helping the nations health but then using some of the tax to inflict wholesale slaughter on peasants elsewhere.

Some revenue is used for NHS --fair enough and it keeps plenty employed who would otherwise be on the dole as everyone would be so healthy :D

So we have punitive taxation of a minority group using a legal product because 'smokers' are deemed by government to cost the state money. Mmmmmm interesting --- now obviously this logic must be expanded to include others that 'cost the state money' --where to begin ???? A Muslim tax as their terrorist threat to our civilisation is undoubtedly 'costing money', an old person tax cos they obviously cost money and are a burden and will increasingly be so as has already been highlighted by government...

hey!! hey!!!let's have a dysfunctional family tax ---no no better give 'em all cheap fags to end their worthless lives really early--save the state a fortune ---nice idea that ;D----this can also apply to serial offenders :P

Fact:- Statistically smokers die younger and are less of a burden to the state as the legal use of tobacco is taxed to fund any percieved/expected cost to the state.
They will require less pension and over the time care costs than healthy :o long lived non productive pensioners.
They also help in trade and employment globally.
An aged population is not good for any population--this is another topic really but can be applied here.
The early deaths are also of benefit to the worlds ever expanding population problem. Apparently 25% of Chinese will die :-? thru smoking--this may be of some benefit in the 'big picture'

:-* :-* :-*

Flying Half-Dutchman
23-09-11, 05:32 PM
Well, I gave up the fags after they nearly killed me, but I'm buggered if i'm giving up bikes!!!

Col
23-09-11, 10:41 PM
p.s. whilst I'm on a roll ;D

Doubt the NHS figures are absolutely correct that Ken put up knowing the hysteria around smoking.

Tax revenue being used to treat users of illegal products such as heroin [although licensed medical use]--the production of which has been hugely escalated thanks to our interference in Afghanshoiteland-----utterly bizarre.

Surely these 'users' treatment ought to be paid by 'concerned rellys' as the State should only be concerned with stopping trade. It only terminates c.120k p.a.out of the estmated c.50 million users--not enough to assist in overpopulation problem :D

whoa !!!!! let us not forget the potential to introduce a Fat Tax cos them fatties are going to cost the State -- no wonder half the world is starving---no pies left :D

redken1
24-09-11, 10:28 PM
"Doubt the NHS figures are absolutely correct that Ken put up knowing the hysteria around smoking."

Ye Col, I too have reservations regarding the accuracy of the figures I quoted from the reports (so do the authors, as they are estimated).

About 10 years ago, I sustained an ankle sprain of such severity to necessitate a visit to my local surgery. Before I had time to secure a comfortable posture in the patient’s chair, the Doc asks, “Do you smoke or drink alcohol?”

How the bl**dy hell did he know that I was searching the house for my backy in a drunken stupor and fell over the dog? ;D

Green Man
24-09-11, 10:39 PM
Is it time for a fag ... yea man .... ;D ;D