PDA

View Full Version : Raising the Motorway speed limit.

Jon_W
30-09-11, 02:39 PM
Check it out. Was a soundbite made years ago, but never thought it would re-surface.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15116064

Watch this space.....

Dabz
30-09-11, 02:50 PM
it'd be great to have it raised, though I don't see how it fits with the reduction in co2 emissions targets!

470four
30-09-11, 07:04 PM
Good to see them updated a limit put in years ago, when 70mph WAS testing your engine & brakes!

Everyone drives at 80mph anyways, wont change things, just means less speeding tickets. :)

Wes
30-09-11, 07:31 PM
Higher ;D

BladeTriple
30-09-11, 09:56 PM
I like the German approach of as fast as you want on the Autobahn unless signed , but exceed posted limits - normally around turn offs or near city limits- at your peril! That said they also stipulate that anything over 130kph in an accident and the liability goes more your way if you survive that is!

They also go to town doubling fines and points for anyone speeding through areas with work forces in the road to protect them a bit more too... A great idea IMO .

That said it was always a little worrying when I had the throttle of my cbr6 pinned , laying on the tank doing 160mph clock speed , when some loon in a big merc-BMW- Audi came racing up behind flashing to get by and caning onwards at warp factor zehn!

The other side of the speed limit increase , I believe, is an increase in more 20mph residential zones, also a good idea if adhered to :) :)

redken1
30-09-11, 11:16 PM
Can't believe I support one of the Tory proposals - never been 80mph on the Fazer before :P

Snowy
30-09-11, 11:20 PM
Can't believe I support one of the Tory proposals - never been 80mph on the Fazer before :P

The trick is to use the clutch and pop it into second ;D

redken1
30-09-11, 11:31 PM

The trick is to use the clutch and pop it into second ;D

Oh that's where I have gone wrong - I thought it was an automatic gear box ;D

NoYou
30-09-11, 11:45 PM
Tbh the current speed limits are vastly outdated, although you still have older cars on the roads, a huge ammount of more modern cars and bikes vasly outperform, in both handling and breaking and safety, the cars that were arround when the speed limits were decided.
And somthing like say... a DB9, can stop in under half the stopping distance the highway code dictates... obv. You can't decided the speed limit based on a car like that but I think there needs to be a revision of limits.

Snowy
01-10-11, 12:04 AM
The increase to 80mph on motorways is fine with me, my concern is more about the idiots who sit in the overtaking lanes with nobody on their inside and the tailgaters who sit 10ft from my rear end. An extra 10mph on the speed (in reality it will be 90mph for the faster drivers) is going to make these numpties more dangerous.

NoYou
01-10-11, 12:24 AM
Well the other thing to think about is that by raising the speed limit, you also increase stopping distance, (sorry for contradicting myself that eighth pint seems to have altered my judgment!) Although cars/bikes can stop in the same distance now from 80-0 and they could 10 years ago for 70-0, probaby even less, the thinking/reaction time people need is increased at 80 so you will need the same if not a larger gap between vehicles which obv people will ignore thus pogtentialyh causing a high accident risk

Nooj
01-10-11, 01:16 AM
I don't think it'll make one bit of difference, most people ignore the limits anyway (as long as Plod's not about) and drive how they please, some at 55, some at 95.

I'd like to see big fines for tailgating and also fines/compulsory re-training for poor lane discipline, can't enforce those easily with cameras though so that won't happen.

Mark_Able
01-10-11, 09:07 PM
I don't think it'll make one bit of difference, most people ignore the limits anyway (as long as Plod's not about) and drive how they please, some at 55, some at 95.

I'd like to see big fines for tailgating and also fines/compulsory re-training for poor lane discipline, can't enforce those easily with cameras though so that won't happen.

With you there... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
01-10-11, 09:37 PM

+1.

I don't think it's the cars that are the issue here, more the pink fleshy thing behind the wheel. Unfortunatly that hasn't evolved over the past 20 years and is far more prone to failure!

redken1
01-10-11, 10:06 PM

+1.

I don't think it's the cars that are the issue here, more the pink fleshy thing behind the wheel. Unfortunatly that hasn't evolved over the past 20 years and is far more prone to failure!

Good point Jon and of course there is a much bigger volume of traffic using the motorway network now.

In my view, there is a clear Bottom line here – The Tories are nervously looking over their shoulders at the next election and need to start deflecting public attention from all the cuts. A few popular sweeteners might just do the trick.

Jon_W
01-10-11, 10:28 PM
Absolutely.

I'm suprised you seemed to be falling for this 'crumb of goodnes thrown to the masses' Ken. I took you as a far more hardened cynic on these matters?

redken1
01-10-11, 11:13 PM
Absolutely.

I'm suprised you seemed to be falling for this 'crumb of goodnes thrown to the masses' Ken. I took you as a far more hardened cynic on these matters?

Jon, I will be able to get to London quicker to attend the pending demos. :P ;D