PDA

View Full Version : Great deal for the poor!

redken1
01-10-11, 10:52 PM
Today saw the minimum hourly wage rise by a below inflation rate of 2.5%.
The new statutory rate for adults increased by 15p to £6.08.
There is a 6p rise to £4.98 for 18 to 20-year-olds, and a 4p increase to £3.68 for 16- and 17-year-olds, while the apprentice rate goes up by 10p to £2.60.

Personally, I have never seen the point (in terms of fair wealth distribution) of a minimum wage if it is not fixed relative to the economy, and wage increases based on percentage rates. An employee on a £100,000 annual salary awarded a 2.5% rise will receive not 15p but, £1.20 per hour more. Is it any wonder that year on year the gap between the rich and poor widens?

We all have to pay the same for property, fuel, VAT, Energy, Food etc.
May be I have got it wrong and the new minimum wage rates relate to Zimbabwe or Congo. :P

Nooj
02-10-11, 01:36 AM
Don't we have the biggest rich/poor difference since WWII at the moment?

Rabb
02-10-11, 07:51 AM
Today saw the minimum hourly wage rise by a below inflation rate of 2.5%.
The new statutory rate for adults increased by 15p to £6.08.
There is a 6p rise to £4.98 for 18 to 20-year-olds, and a 4p increase to £3.68 for 16- and 17-year-olds, while the apprentice rate goes up by 10p to £2.60.

Personally, I have never seen the point (in terms of fair wealth distribution) of a minimum wage if it is not fixed relative to the economy, and wage increases based on percentage rates. An employee on a £100,000 annual salary awarded a 2.5% rise will receive not 15p but, £1.20 per hour more. Is it any wonder that year on year the gap between the rich and poor widens?

All that you've said is true.
Where I used to work percentage increases were always used.
I constantly reminded the management that it was unfair for the reasons that you have mentioned.
I was towards the top of the pay scale because of my position and job title however,
I don't forget where I came from and how difficult it is when you are lower down the pay scale.
The reason why pay changes are percentage based is because it's 'easy'.
If we are ever to regain the 'Great' in 'Great Britain' we must not take the 'easy' option every time.
We should make the right 'Moral' decision and reward achievement.
May be I have got it wrong and the new minimum wage rates relate to Zimbabwe or Congo. :P

Rabb
02-10-11, 07:57 AM
Don't we have the biggest rich/poor difference since WWII at the moment?

Absolutely true.

And anyone who thinks that reducing top rates of tax for the highest earners will stimulate new business is sadly deluded.
In such dificult times everyone is holding onto their cash including the highest earners.
The only people who are able to take advantage of lower property and share prices are those in the top ten percent of the country who wouldn't miss a few hundred thou!

FJ_Biker
02-10-11, 09:01 AM
For people on the minimum wage the resection will never end

Nooj that's correct the wage gap is among the bigest in the world. There are direct correlations between country happiness and the gap between the rich and the poor.

Dabz
02-10-11, 01:54 PM
Geez there's no pleasing you lot is there? Poor government can't win, whatever they do it gets moaned about :p

R1chie
02-10-11, 02:56 PM
Some people aren't happy unless they're moaning about something (irony huh)

FJ_Biker
02-10-11, 03:32 PM
I would look at it as caring about what goes on.

redken1
02-10-11, 03:50 PM
I would look at it as caring about what goes on.

Could not agree a more - if wishing to change the UK in to a fairer and more caring society is moaning then I'm Victor Mildrew ;)

Crosbie
03-10-11, 12:09 PM

I had the arguement regarding percentage rates with my boss last year when 10% pay cuts were introduced across the board - I got fobbed off with 'Its difficult for every one'. Ummmm not when you and others in the office are still earning 20K+ more than me. :-?

Hazel-nut
03-10-11, 02:05 PM
looks like im getting a pay rise :P

redken1
03-10-11, 05:28 PM
looks like im getting a pay rise :P

Hazel, you will be able to afford a nice new bike now with all that extra cash ;) ;D :P

Col
03-10-11, 08:25 PM
what's a payrise :( :(

nowt extra for last 18 months and that was after c.5 years of none---on the brightside new supply contracts been signed along with higher prices plus some expansion

perils of private sector that you have to produce profitably and operate within strict budgets unlike public sector that generally enjoy annual increases irrespective of improved performance, efficiency, and use to private sector------what :-? :-?

redken1
03-10-11, 10:07 PM
Who saw panorama? Thousands of workers across the spectrum of industries not receiving the statuary minimum wage. Seven firms prosecuted in ten years >:(

Col
04-10-11, 12:47 AM
Not if a London tube driver Ken. Old Crow ,on £140k+ and believed to live in a council house [housing association] :o , has wangled a pay deal that'll send them upto c.£50k in a few years--already 'drivers' are c.£45k --- don't think it's much more than 32 hours/week either---nice work :D

redken1
04-10-11, 07:41 AM
Not if a London tube driver Ken. Old Crow ,on £140k+ and believed to live in a council house [housing association] :o , has wangled a pay deal that'll send them upto c.£50k in a few years--already 'drivers' are c.£45k --- don't think it's much more than 32 hours/week either---nice work :D

I think the fact that you mentioned Bob Crow lives in a council house reveals a lot. Bet the old Etonians in the cabinet will be choking on their cornflakes this morning at the thought of a council tenant earning £140,000. ;) Must be one house that Thatcher never sold. :P