PDA

View Full Version : Anti-speeding volunteers

redken1
06-10-11, 05:43 PM
Could someone please enlighten me? On my way home from work today I passed 3 community volunteers who were watching out for speeding vehicles. In addition to recording the speed of a vehicle, does the gun they use photograph the registration plate? Fortunately for me, I was well within the permitted speed limit – I was just curious.

Nelly
06-10-11, 05:59 PM
Yeah Ken. I think these volunteers note the numbers of speeding cars. They then send them to the local constabulary who write you a nice letter telling you that you have been naughty. ;)

Nooj
06-10-11, 06:34 PM
Am I right in thinking that this evidence won't stand up in court as so many registration plates have been copied wrongly by the volunteers in the past that the Police tend to ignore them?

redken1
06-10-11, 06:43 PM
Am I right in thinking that this evidence won't stand up in court as so many registration plates have been copied wrongly by the volunteers in the past that the Police tend to ignore them?

That was going to be my next question. Surely it is open to legal challenge? What safeguard is there against one of the volunteers writing down the reg of the Milkman who run off with his wife? :P :

Hazel-nut
06-10-11, 07:05 PM
I could be wrong but I think the idea is to see how many people speed and if it warrants a speed camera being put in or more police speed checks done in that area

NiteW4tcher
06-10-11, 07:33 PM
I could be wrong but I think the idea is to see how many people speed and if it warrants a speed camera being put in or more police speed checks done in that area

thats what i was thinking.......i just stare at them as i trug past in 1st gear slipping the clutch hahah eat scorpion ;D im so childish at times

Nelly
06-10-11, 07:53 PM
No charge can be brought as far as i am aware, but, i think that if the noisy sods volunteers see you a few times then the police come along to see if you are indeed being a little speedy :)

speedlink
06-10-11, 07:59 PM
i got a letter from the police after getting caught by them in goatacher (sorry proberly spelt that wrong),saying if i get caught again i will be put on the serial speeders list,no action was taken ,just a warning.

redken1
06-10-11, 08:06 PM
Basically a deterrent then. Thanks for the info

Ryan
06-10-11, 08:10 PM
Never seen any of these, would pull over for a chat if i did hahah!

Snowy
06-10-11, 09:27 PM
Have to admit I hate speeding bikes and cars through my village. So many times I have been close to being wiped out by someone going too fast near a particularly dangerous blind junction to a roundabout. It's signposted well just that many of them ignore the signs and the black tyre marks on the main road junction is testimony to the number of near misses. It's now a common site for these HiViz privateers with a speed camera.

Having said all that, I still think there must be something a little odd in these people's make up to make them actually want to do this job. Something not quite "normal" ;D ;D ;D

Nelly
06-10-11, 10:16 PM
I might stand out in my road at the weekend, pointing Lou's hairdryer at cars to see what they do... ;)

NoYou
06-10-11, 10:25 PM
I might stand out in my road at the weekend, pointing Lou's hairdryer at cars to see what they do... ;)
hahahahha ;D make sure you wear hi-viz or it won't be convincing

Snowy
06-10-11, 10:26 PM

See what I mean...not quite "normal" ;D

Thorkill_The_Tall
07-10-11, 04:27 PM
Community Speedwatch Volunteers are trained to use the equipment by Police Officers from Traffic.
In Wiltshire, they are normally only positioned in our rural villages, only in 30 and 40 MPH zones during daylight hours and if it isn't raining, where concern has been raised over speeding motorists. (an all-encompassing term that includes motorcycles)
Wiltshire Police allow 2 MPH + 10% , so the CSW bods will only note your number if you are doing over 35 in a 30 and so on.

One strike and you get a letter.
Two strikes and you get another letter.
Third strike you get a visit from a nice Policeman.
It's down to them if they prosescute.

Try to imagine how you would react if it was your child who had been mown down by a speeding motorist, whilst on their way to school or the playground.

A personal view only:
Respect the urban areas, especially when you know people are about.
When you are on the open road and conditions allow, do what you like as long as you don't act like a knob.