PDA

View Full Version : Jackie’s Pedalling Progress

Gerry
30-10-11, 11:49 AM
As you may know, Jackie (Jacde) is embarking on a 400 km bike ride through Kenya’s Rift Valley in support of Women V Cancer charities.

She said she would try to keep us posted as to her progress, so I’m starting this in the hope that she can !
I’m sure she will be able to read it at some point so encouraging words may help with keeping her moral up and her mind off her sore bum :-/

She flew into Nairobi Airport at 7.50 this morning and will be transferred to Nyeri and roughing it in The Green Hills Hotel ready for the start of the ride tomorrow (see below).

Some of us waved her and friend Nicky off yesterday from Swindon, and as you can imagine she was both very nervous and excited !

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/imaging.jpg
Nicky Daley and Jackie Deininger

Her route is:
Day 1 cycling
Nyeri to Nyahururu (approx 99km) stay in Thomson's Falls Logde
Day 2 cycling
Nyahururu to Nakuru (approx 57km) transfer to Baringo and stay in Soi Safari Lodge
Day 3 cycling
Kabarnet to Eldoret (approx 85km) stay in Eldoret Wagon Hotel
Day 4 cycling
Eldoret to Kakamega (approx 92km) stay in Golf Hotel
Day 5 cycling
Kakamega to Kisumu (approx 53km) stay in Sunset Hotel
Transfer from Kisumu to Nakuru and stay in Hotel Waterbuck
Transfer Nakuru to Nairobi stay in 680 Hotel and then home and a gallon of tea the following day.

If you missed out and wish to give a small donation, you still have time at: www.justgiving.com/nicky-daley

I'm sure it will be a trip of a lifetime for her and wish her the best of luck and lots of fun x

Gerry

Gerry
30-10-11, 12:02 PM
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/Swindon.jpg

Picture of her Swindon well-wishers complete with Certificate from Swindon Council asking us all to donate £25.00 to their own fund :( not sure if Colin was crying at the thoughts of Jackie being eaten by lions or getting the parking ticket ;D

Beamer
30-10-11, 12:43 PM
Brilliant stuff Gerry.......it'll be ace hearing how shes getting on :D :D

redken1
30-10-11, 01:18 PM
Looks like Jackie has taken on a real tough challenge - I wish her all the luck in the world and well done to the the WB rebels. 8-) ;D

Gerry
31-10-11, 11:13 AM
Had a call very early today to say that yesterday she visited Lord Baden Powell's (SuperScout) grave at Nyeri, had a bath in brown water (she claims it was that colour before she got in it) :-?

Had another (call - not bath) about 6.30am to say she had started the ride and was at the first 12 mile stop, just 50 miles to go today :-/

There's a three hour time difference so hope to get a call later this afternoon to says she's finished Day One (if no call I'll just assume she's been eaten by lions) first dibs on the Monster ;D

G

Blackandchrome
31-10-11, 12:38 PM
Six parking tickets!
Gee thanks; I can expect a reduction in my council tax next year! ;D ;D ;D

Gerry
31-10-11, 03:50 PM
Day One completed [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

She's had a puketastic day and is now relaxing in a hotel with no hot water :-/

One day down, four to go - GO JACKIE GO [smiley=thumbup.gif]

G

PS Have told her not to worry about the lions as in that area the crocodiles have eaten them all 8-)

Bonnielass
31-10-11, 04:18 PM
Well done Jackiie, good luck for the next lap! :) :-*

Dabz
31-10-11, 04:28 PM
puketastic..sounds erm..

Day 1 over with tho, well done Jackie :d

Beamer
31-10-11, 04:53 PM
Well done Jackie........shouldve taken some ear-plugs and pegs for the ......ummm....... facilities hehehehe ;D ;D

Hazel-nut
31-10-11, 05:36 PM
i know how she feels about not having any hot water! i had very little when i was in kenya and what we did have we had to ration to make sure everyone got a bit of a hot shower!

glad to hear she finished day1 in 1 piece! :)

Toph
31-10-11, 05:40 PM
Well done Jac... A puketastic day??? :-?
Keep pumpin' those pedals!! xx :-*

Gerry
31-10-11, 05:45 PM
[quote author=Hazel-nut link=1319975348/10#10 date=1320082609]i know how she feels about not having any hot water! i had very little when i was in kenya and what we did have we had to ration to make sure everyone got a bit of a hot shower! :)[/quote

Don't Hazel, don't :o

G ;)

PS. Re "Puketastic" do I have to explain in detail :-/

bubblylittleme
31-10-11, 05:55 PM
Well done Jackie...keep it up!!

Gaz
31-10-11, 06:57 PM
Or down,as the case may be!
Anyway, well done Jackie. :)

BB
31-10-11, 07:18 PM
Keep smiling Jackie! ;)

BB

Loops
31-10-11, 08:02 PM
Go Jackie! Willing you on from here :-*

Rabb
31-10-11, 08:28 PM
Go Jackie go....!
Well done on the first day!

Viking
31-10-11, 10:32 PM
Well done Jackiie, good luck for the next lap! :) 8-)

Gerry
01-11-11, 09:58 AM
Had an early text from Jackie to say that it was a shorter but nastier day today, she had just climbed up to 2550 metres :-/ and says it’s effecting many peoples breathing including her’s.
She crosses the equator again today (maybe they are lost) ;)

Got a text a bit later from a heavy breather with the words “wheeze, wheeze, wheeze” on it - lol

Hoping for some hot water tonight at the hotel (sounds like they will need it) !

G
--------------------------

Texted to say she was done for the day, just had a yummy lunch and after a 2 hour bus ride looking forward to a long hot bath.
Roughing it in a gloryfied mud hut tonight:
http://www.soisafarilodge-lkbaringo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1288& Itemid=773

TWO DOWN - THREE TO GO :)

BB
01-11-11, 06:35 PM
Well if that's the only accommodation available then it will just have to do! ;)

Keep smiling girl!

BB

Toph
01-11-11, 07:04 PM
That's a classy mud hut!! ;D
Enjoy the hot water Jac.. :)
:-*

Squashed_Fly
02-11-11, 12:23 AM
Remember to unclip your pedals!! :D

Well done Jac!!!

Gerry
02-11-11, 11:08 AM
Had a few couple of updates from Jackie, she said it was unbelievably hot yesterday and they had a huge storm last night.

Today she was up at 5.15 am, getting ready for a big day, a 85 km ride, a lot of it climbing !
They were bussed to the start of the ride but had to get off the bus to build up a riverbank that was washed away (as you do) :-? she’s now in the middle of a 27km climb to get out of the Rift Valley and it’s just after mid day 8-)

She says the Kenyans think they are mad (as do most of us on here I suspect) but I’m sure we are all full of admiration too. GO JACKIE GO...

G

Dabz
02-11-11, 11:59 AM
Crazy crazy girl, but such a good cause. Keep going Jackie :)

smellygerm
02-11-11, 10:01 PM
We r all thinking of u and missing u jackie , your such a star, keep strong and work it baby ;)

BB
02-11-11, 10:10 PM
I hope you pyjamas weren't too wet! :o ;D ;D

BB

Geordie Stu
03-11-11, 08:06 AM
Jackie, You know the song. The Wheels on the bike go round & round....!!! Good luck [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Squashed_Fly
03-11-11, 08:49 AM
Stu, didn't you say you wanted to keep the saddle after they finished? ;D ;D ;D

Last Train
03-11-11, 09:35 AM
Great work Jacde

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-037.gif http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-037.gif http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-037.gif

JohnS
03-11-11, 12:01 PM
Absolute admiration for you Jackie! Keep up the good work girl!

Geordie Stu
03-11-11, 01:15 PM
Stu, didn't you say you wanted to keep the saddle after they finished? ;D ;D ;D

emm Did I say that. Do you have evidence of me saying such a thing. Or is this fabrication? ::)

Jacde
03-11-11, 02:48 PM
Oh my goodness me, ;D how many pages??? :D
Just reached civilisation, wifi I can use! :)
Day 4 over and done with last days cycling tomorrow, think it's a fairly normal get up time i.e. not 5 in the morning!
Think it's 40km to Lake Victoria and our finish line.
Will keep updating Gerry and will catch you all soon.
xxxxxxxxxxx :)

Gerry
03-11-11, 03:51 PM
Should have updated you before Jackie finished todays ride, but this is most of this mornings text in full !

Day 4: Dear Diary, after a night in the most grotty hotel on this continent (now called Satan’s Armpit) very little sleep and only having a mashed banana sandwich for breakfast because the event team were worried we’d be ill if we ate the cooked breakfast :-/ We are cycling 95km today. Because there has been so much rain we weren’t able to cycle down the river bed so it’s all on the road today.

The banana sandwich was the highlight of the last 12 hours. The hotel was truly awful, black mould, fungi and slugs, and that was just the bedrooms, Lord knows what the kitchen was like !

So may children to wave to and call “Jambo” to lol. Not an insult, it’s “hello”
I’m waving so much I feel like royalty, though I feel bad when there’s a group of kids calling to you on a downhill stretch and I can’t take my hands off the handle bars to wave - way to risky

I told her I'd try shouting "Jambo" to the next gang of black youth's I see in Trowbridge on a Saturday night - it's good to be friendly :)

G

Squashed_Fly
03-11-11, 04:23 PM
I told her I'd try shouting "Jambo" to the next gang of black youth's I see in Trowbridge on a Saturday night - it's good to be friendly :)

G

Please, please video that and post it on youtube! ;D ;D

Toph
03-11-11, 05:36 PM
That hotel sounds horrible, Did the organisers know it was that bad before you got there?? :o :o :o :o
Full of admiration for you Jac, not long to go now!! xxxx

Nelly
03-11-11, 05:53 PM
Keep it up J xx

Beamer
03-11-11, 08:17 PM
Well done Jackie..........you've almost done it girl......we are all so proud of you !!

;D ;D ;D ;D

BB
03-11-11, 09:45 PM
Nearly there girl 8-)

BB

Maria
03-11-11, 10:49 PM
well done jackie,nearly there.

Caz
03-11-11, 11:22 PM
Keep up the good work we're all routing for you :)

Jacde
04-11-11, 01:04 PM
All done and dusted folks ;D
Wow amazing tough emotional experience.
Hope you all realise how inspiring your comments, thoughts and text messages have been.
We had a minute of reflection and remembrance yesterday, my Mum was the first in my thoughts, followed by those of you who have also lost loved ones, I hope you don't mind me remembering your loved ones.
Days off now, no mixing deep heat and chamois cream!!! :o any more.
At the moment no phone signal, but wifi is the best so far.
See you all soon, love Jackie :-*

Bonnielass
04-11-11, 01:30 PM
Well done Jackie, knew you would do it!! Congratulations!! Enjoy the rest and look forward to hearing all about it!

Beamer
04-11-11, 01:42 PM
Hey There Jackie...........Well done to you !!

I hope you realise what an inspiration you are to all of us ...especially me......You have been to 'hell and back' for something you believe in ..and completed it in style.

Be proud of yourself Girl, 'cos we are all proud of you and what you have achieved.................now hurry back luvvie and make some more cakes, we miss you hehehehe

Massive hugs chick xxx ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gaz
04-11-11, 05:52 PM
Well done Jackie,fantastic achievement,something you will remember forever i'm sure. See you soon. :)

Toph
04-11-11, 06:35 PM
Huge congratulations to you Jac, you nailed it girl ! :)
Enjoy the rest of your adventure, and rest up !
Well done also to your friend Nicky and all the other peeps who completed this arduous challenge.
See you when you get back! :-* :-*

redken1
04-11-11, 06:52 PM
Huge congratulations to you Jac, you nailed it girl ! :)
Enjoy the rest of your adventure, and rest up !
Well done also to your friend Nicky and all the other peeps who completed this arduous challenge.
See you when you get back! :-* :-*

+1 Well done Jackie [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nelly
04-11-11, 07:09 PM
Well done Jackie, you are a star! 8-)

BB
04-11-11, 07:21 PM
Well done girl, now relax :-*

BB

virginie_morisot
04-11-11, 07:36 PM
well done Jackie, really impressed, will be fantastic to see you soon !! xx

Hazel-nut
04-11-11, 08:50 PM
That was quick :P
Well done jackie!proud of you for cycling all that way :)

Nokesy
04-11-11, 09:02 PM
You are simply a truely inspiring pair of women :) well done to you both :)

Beamer
07-11-11, 10:08 PM
SHE'S HOME

WELCOME BACK WONDER WOMAN

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nelly
07-11-11, 10:31 PM
Welcome home J xx

Gerry
07-11-11, 10:37 PM
Welcome home.. [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Will miss my early morning texts ;)

You did great Jackie and in a way I'm sure you will appreciate it all the more as it threw up more obstacles than the group was expecting (like having to ride for a day on a banana sandwich) !
Makes your achievement all the better.

What are you going to do to top this next year ;)

Gerry xxx

CharleyX
08-11-11, 12:01 AM
Great to have you back :D :D
Congratulation honey you did yourself proud ;D
Now for the best bath ever!!
See ya soon xx :-* :-*

JohnS
08-11-11, 01:21 PM
What are you going to do to top this next year ;)

David Walliams is looking for a partner for his next challenge!
;)

Jacde
08-11-11, 03:47 PM
Hey everyone [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]
Got back home last night about 21:30 then had to nip straight out to get some milk for a much deserved bucket of tea! ;D
First of all I must say a HUGE thank you to you all for the encouragement and sponsorship, we were told on Friday night that the 5 groups who are doing the Cycle Kenya ride have so far raised between them 1.6 million pounds, with money still coming in. :D and without the encouragement and support from you I would have found some parts really tough going.
I'd never been to Kenya and was surprised at how green and mountainous it is :o we had a Kenyan lady cycle with us, and she kept reminding us that when the British Army go to Kenya to train they normally have at least a week to aclimatize before they start any strenuous exercise, less than 24 hours after arriving we were embarking on the first 99km ride!!
It was a tough 5 days cycling, I didn't cycle the whole 400k, umm, I saw my breakfast twice on the first day :-/ (Gerry described it as a Puketastic day!) so the dr recommended a ride on the bus for a bit.
Day 3 was the climb out of the rift valley, it was unbelievably hot and I only managed 17 of the 27km climb, out of 63 of us only 10 super women managed the full 27km climb.
Our accommodation generally wasn't too bad, however on Wednesday we had to stay in the most grotty 'hotel' and that certainly was the low point :(
The Kenyan people were so cheerful and we often had groups of children cheering us on, Kenyans don't cycle up hills, seeing 63 women cycling up hills must have amused them no end!!
I'll get my photos downloaded and post a select few up for everyone to see soon. :)