PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought anything on gumtree before?

wiltshire builders
13-12-11, 05:46 PM
I'm after a Belstaff Trialmaster jacket rrp is £425.

Seen a few for around £300 in the sales but there's a guy on gumtree selling them for £180.
The sale will be via pay pal. Should I be wary and risk missing a real bargain?

Swanny
13-12-11, 07:06 PM
I bought my Zephyr from a bloke on gumtree :)
It's just the same as buying something from someone in the local paper

njl
13-12-11, 09:38 PM
I bought a guitar on gumtree but local, the guy brought it over for me too!

Personally i'd feel safer buying something face to face via gumtree

NoYou
14-12-11, 12:14 AM
Bought loads of stuff off gumtree, i only do local stuff though so i can go and look at it before handing over any cash but never had any issues so far ;]

wiltshire builders
14-12-11, 07:54 AM
Thanks. Just a bit wary as it's mail order only. Although it does require pay pal there are still scams out there.

wasted_ace
14-12-11, 08:37 AM
Bought my car off a bloke who advertised it on Gumtree..not a problem :)

Jacde
14-12-11, 09:05 AM
Only ever sold things on Gumtree, if it's payment by paypal surely you're covered and you would get your money back if it turns out to be a right kipper? It just be the inconvenience you'll have to go through to get your money back!

wiltshire builders
15-12-11, 06:19 PM
Only ever sold things on Gumtree, if it's payment by paypal surely you're covered and you would get your money back if it turns out to be a right kipper? It just be the inconvenience you'll have to go through to get your money back!
I got stung before on ebay buying a pair of yohji Yamamoto trainers that were "100% genuine" they turned out to not only be copies but bad copies at that. I got my money back minus postage and was just a real pain.

Going to give it a miss I think. Thanks for all the advice

Morticia
18-12-11, 12:26 PM
Got loads, not a problem once

SupeRDel
20-12-11, 06:04 PM
I would pay for anything on gumtree using paypal. Go and see it and pay cash. Treat it as a local way for selling/buying like Trade it

Gumtree has no link to paypal like it does to ebay

Rabb
20-12-11, 09:56 PM
Ive only ever sold things on Gumtree.
All went swimmingly - cash payment (sold as seen)