PDA

View Full Version : Retailer Responsibility

Squashed_Fly
11-01-12, 12:20 PM
Do you believe retailers should take responsibility for the ofers and promotions they push, or is the responsibility solely on the consumer to make good choices regardless of of advertising & discounts?

This issue came to light a few years ago when someone tried to sue McDonalds for making them fat.

But I am thinking on a slightly different angle - GWs at the moment, have a range of Shoei helmets, that would normally retail at £350-£400, on offer at £99. Bargain? Yes if your head is XXXS, or XXXXL! But for those among us who have 'normal' sized heads, but for such quality at such a cheap price, would be prepared to take an ill fitting helmet, then not really.

Yet I still saw people on Saturday either squeezing their heads in, or having helmets that were clearly too large, and considering buying it anyway.

Are we better off without these people in the gene pool? Or Should the retailer be taking more responsibility and refusing to sell a helmet that doesn't fit properly?

My opinion is divided between the 2 camps, although weighted more heavily on the side of the fact that IF IT DOESN'T FIT DON'T BUY IT!!!! But there will still be people that are on tight budgets, that won't take any responsibility for themselves and are blinded by such a great offer.

Should the retailer refuse a sale????

Mikkie1986
11-01-12, 01:03 PM
A decent retailer shouldnt refuse a sale but should advise on correct fitment. Unfortuantly we do have muppets in the world who will buy/sell a helmet that doesnt fit at all!

Nico_babe
11-01-12, 01:31 PM
Im on the other side of the fence and say............ "if you buy something that doesnt fit, then your a muppet" as everyone is responsible for themselves.

Jon_W
11-01-12, 01:32 PM
Why shouldn't a retailer sell off stock?? Surely that's the retailers choice. Just because it dosen't fit you is pure bad luck. Most retailers don't sell many clothes that fit me, I have to search and usually pay through the nose. Ultimatly it is your body, your money and your choice.

Toph
11-01-12, 01:41 PM
Surely, it's madness to buy and wear an ill- fitting helmet, regardless of the discount you get on it. :-?

Kevinb
11-01-12, 02:03 PM
People think they are getting bargins this time of year. Stock is either the c*ap they can't sell up to Christmas or the sizes at each end of the scale. Being on the rather large size I don't mind and do pick up the odd bargin in XXXXXXXL ;D

& Yes people are muppets to buy even if it doesn't fit.

Scotty
11-01-12, 04:18 PM
SF asked the pertinent question concerning the gene pool issue. Simply step back folks and watch evolution at work as the pathologically stupid nominate themselves for the 2012 Darwin Awards... ::)The world is probably better off without these individuals, more oxygen for the rest of us! :)

wiltshire builders
11-01-12, 04:30 PM
That's a tricky one. Not sure I'd sleep too soundly knowing I had mis-sold an item ultimately designed to save lives.
Obviously it's the buyers decission and unless the salesperson witnesses them trying on the lid then there's not much they can do.
Maybe the gene pool could use a little chlorine?

wiltshire builders
11-01-12, 04:30 PM
This issue came to light a few years ago when someone tried to sue McDonalds for making them fat.

How did you get on? ;D ;D ;D

Dabz
11-01-12, 04:31 PM
Good luck to the shop assistant who tells a biker they won't sell him a cheap on-sale helmet and directs him to the full price ones instead :P

Squashed_Fly
11-01-12, 05:31 PM

How did you get on? ;D ;D ;D

Don't you have to start paying for these now?

Swanny
11-01-12, 06:04 PM
Stupid is as stupid does :D

redken1
11-01-12, 07:57 PM
I’m split on this one Aidan, but I won’t do a Lib-dem and sit on the fence.

Customer: Even if it is free, if a helmet does not fit snugly then it is not fit for purpose. Not only will the owner of the newly acquired helmet feel uncomfortable, but are potentially putting their life at risk in the unfortunate event of an accident.

I once purchased a tin opener for £1.50 because that was the only one which was available in the small town where I was working at the time. Due to the fact that it would not open my tin of beans, I returned to the ironmongers seeking a refund. The proprietor of the said shop refused to reimburse me, stating, “It only cost you £1.50.”

After much debate and when I pointed out that the cost was irrelevant as it wouldn’t open a tin, he agreed to repay me in full.

Retailer: If I was employed on the clothing department at a Motorcycle dealership, my conscience would not allow me to sell a poor fitting helmet to a customer without advising them of the fact and of the implications, should they wish to proceed with the purchase. After all, it’s not a pair of flip-flops – it’s a life saving item of equipment.

Rabb
11-01-12, 08:22 PM
I will mention one phrase that I believe is applicable to this situation.
" Take responsibility for your own actions - and suffer the consequences of poor thought process "

There is another phrase that is also appropriate too
" Buy cheap, pay twice "

I believe that this will cover most eventualities.

Snowy
11-01-12, 08:25 PM
Customer: Even if it is free, if a helmet does not fit snugly then it is not fit for purpose.

Gotta disagree with that Ken. The helmet is fit for purpose it's the idiot who buys or sells a badly fitting one that is'nt ;)

redken1
11-01-12, 08:31 PM
Customer: Even if it is free, if a helmet does not fit snugly then it is not fit for purpose.

Gotta disagree with that Ken. The helmet is fit for purpose it's the idiot who buys or sells a badly fitting one that is'nt ;)

Sorry Graeme, I could have worded that better. Of course you are right. What I meant to say is that it's not fit for the individual it dosen't fit, if you know what I mean. :-/ ::) ;D