PDA

View Full Version : Any solicitors on here ??

silly_simon
21-01-12, 11:16 PM
I could do with a bit of advice ref: a car purchase thats getting a tad nasty :( :(

Ducatista
23-01-12, 05:16 PM
Did you buy it privately or from a trader?
It makes a big difference to your rights.

Do you have any legal cover on your home insurance? You may have access to a professional solicitor for free. You may just have access to help over the phone or you may have cover to pay for legal help.

There is a relatively cheap system commonly known as the small claims court that you can use, but I would check whether you are insured first rather than do it yourself.

I am not a solicitor.

Mitch9128
23-01-12, 07:12 PM
If it was from a trader, call trading standards or consumer direct for advice.

Rossio
23-01-12, 07:22 PM
I could do with a bit of advice ref: a car purchase thats getting a tad nasty :( :(

How can a car purchase get nasty?

Ducatista
23-01-12, 09:33 PM

When there are mechanical issues and the trader refuses to fix them in accordance with their legal obligations?

I have legal insurance for this sort of thing.

If it's private then it's pretty much sold as seen, unless it's been majorly misdescribed e.g. non-roadworthy but sold as roadworthy.
Traders have statutory obligations under the Sales of Goods act.

Jon_W
24-01-12, 07:59 AM
Talk to the Citizens advise. Thy'll be able to tell you of any solicitors who offer a free 20min consultation.

Rossio
24-01-12, 09:13 AM

When there are mechanical issues and the trader refuses to fix them in accordance with their legal obligations?

I have legal insurance for this sort of thing.

If it's private then it's pretty much sold as seen, unless it's been majorly misdescribed e.g. non-roadworthy but sold as roadworthy.
Traders have statutory obligations under the Sales of Goods act.

ah right so the car is already purchased.... i see ::)

silly_simon
25-01-12, 05:20 PM
Cheers Guys & Girls

It was bought from a trader so I will check out the suggestions and take it from there :-?

Mitch9128
26-01-12, 09:08 PM
The law is pretty clear on problems with cars from dealers/traders, within the first 6 months the fault is presumed present at point of purchase, down to the dealer to prove otherwise, after 6 months it is down to you to prove it was.

Trading stds/consumer advice will tell you exactly what to write in letters to them, from start to finish they are brilliant, you won't need legal advice, not at this stage anyway.

We had problems with an Espace year before last, after 6 months dealer gave up fixing faults and gave us our money back, but when we first contacted him he wasn't interested, as soon as trading standards became involved, he shat it and couldn't do enough.

Our latest is the motor i bought in June last year, dealer gave us a 3rd party warranty and wasn't interested in any faults we had, basically fobbed us off to the warranty company. Car is good now, but after a few small problems we are down circa £450, in excess's and consumables. We reported him to trading standards and he still fobbed us off, after a few similar complaints to TS, he is now being served with an injunction to cease trading until he resolves his customers problems.

silly_simon
30-01-12, 03:57 PM
This has now been sorted and alls well :)

Ducatista
30-01-12, 04:28 PM
Glad to hear that Simon :)

Geordie Stu
30-01-12, 04:59 PM
Result 1-0 to WBers