PDA

View Full Version : No more cheap booze for Falkirk MP?

redken1
24-02-12, 09:49 PM
According to reports, Labour MP Eric Joyce was last night charged with three counts of common assault after allegedly attacking seven people – including four MPs – in a House of Commons bar.

Is this what PM Cameron was referring to when he talked about the cheap booze binge drinking culture and said, "This is one of the scandals of our society and I am determined to deal with it." :-?

A total of £1.33m was spent in the House of Commons' nine bars in the year to March 2011.
The Strangers' bar, where the alleged assault was said to have taken place, took takings of £206,100. MPs can enjoy a pint of ale for £2.70 or a bitter for £2.60.
Commons authorities spent £275,000 stocking the wine cellars with 44,000 bottles over the past two years, including £28,000 on 1,838 bottles of champagne and £11,100 on 1,470 bottles of sparkling wine.

The public helps foot the bill. The taxpayer subsidy for the Commons catering service, which runs the bars, rose to £5.8m last year, despite a fall in custom and promises to slash the cost of refreshing MPs. It meant that for every £10 an MP spent on food and drink, the taxpayer added a top-up of £7.60.
Last year Dr Sarah Wollaston, a GP and MP for Totnes, said some MPs are too drunk to stand up in debates and have “no idea” what they are voting for.
Shortly after being elected to Parliament, Tory MP Mark Reckless apologised after being too drunk to vote on George Osborne's first budget.
“I normally have just one or two and know when to stop. I don’t know what happened. I don’t remember falling over," he said. :o

The do as we say not as we do rhetoric from the House of commoners is enough to drive me to drink – better get last orders in while it’s still affordable. >:(

Maria
24-02-12, 09:56 PM
:D

Toph
24-02-12, 11:15 PM
Is their strangers bar tab included in their expenses?
maybe they can "flip" a few rounds.

redken1
24-02-12, 11:31 PM
MPs will be leaving the commons bars p***ed-up on cheap booze we subsidised, to enter the chamber to vote on setting a minimum price for alcohol for the people who put them there. [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Bloody hypocrites! >:(

wiltshire builders
24-02-12, 11:38 PM
According to reports, Labour MP Eric Joyce was last night charged with three counts of common assault after allegedly attacking seven people – including four MPs – in a House of Commons bar.

Be fair, we've all thought about doing it ;)

redken1
24-02-12, 11:41 PM

Be fair, we've all thought about doing it ;)

Got the wrong end of the stick there Dan. Only difference being I feel like doing it when Im sober. lol ;D ;D ;D