PDA

View Full Version : Bus driver jailed for attack on cyclist

Swanny
21-02-12, 07:09 PM
A bus driver who used his bus like a 'weapon' to knock a cyclist to the ground has been jailed for 17 months, a court official said. Gavin Hill was shown on CCTV in an exchange with cyclist Phillip Mead before he lurched the bus sharply into the cyclist's path, throwing him from his bike

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2012/feb/17/bus-driver-cyclist-attack-video?fb=native

Jon_W
22-02-12, 10:25 AM
Saw this.... :o :o :o

Nearly killed him!!!!

Geordie Stu
22-02-12, 12:15 PM
Shocking..! What was the Bus driver thinking of. >:(
Lucky the cyclist wasn't killed

Ducatista
22-02-12, 05:32 PM
17 months !!!!
I hope he has a nice cell mate.

dell_boy
22-02-12, 06:20 PM
i hate cyclists..(im a truck driver),..especially ones like in the video,..who ride deliberately in the middle of the road,.thus making it impossible for large vehicles to pass

however,..what he did is beyond belief and in no way excusable,..he should be going down for 10 years,...but cyclists should open thier eyes to this,..it REALLY infuriates professional drivers who have work to do,..and if they snap?..well the result is there for all to see

KP
22-02-12, 08:49 PM
Totally agree Del :)

wiltshire builders
22-02-12, 09:50 PM
i hate cyclists..(im a truck driver),..especially ones like in the video,..who ride deliberately in the middle of the road,.thus making it impossible for large vehicles to pass

however,..what he did is beyond belief and in no way excusable,..he should be going down for 10 years,...but cyclists should open thier eyes to this,..it REALLY infuriates professional drivers who have work to do,..and if they snap?..well the result is there for all to see
He was deliberately pissing the bus driver off because of an earlier incident where the bus nearly hit him.
Remember what they say "Big vehicle, small dick" now i'm off for a spin on my mini moto ;)

Jon_W
23-02-12, 08:39 AM

He was deliberately pissing the bus driver off because of an earlier incident where the bus nearly hit him.
Remember what they say "Big vehicle, small dick" now i'm off for a spin on my mini moto ;)

So your saying that swinging a 10 tonne bus at the cyclist was justified and measured responce? :-?

What you guys forget is the shear fear element of being cut up on a cycle, especially by a HGV of a bus.

I had an incident in the autum, coming back from Seend toward trowbridge, I got to the top of the bends about to enter th first bend when I hear the screaching of brakes behind me and look to see an articulated piling into the corner overtaking. I slam my brakes on, but still have to pile into the verge to avoid the rear of the trailer.

That put the fear of God into me.... and I've have had a polite word with the driver if I could.

wiltshire builders
23-02-12, 10:44 AM

So your saying that swinging a 10 tonne bus at the cyclist was justified and measured responce? :-?

Who said what now? :o

Geordie Stu
23-02-12, 10:53 AM
Wether the Cyclist was in the middle of the road or not. The road is a 2 lane carriageway.... The driver pulled out to pass then slammed into the guy. :(

FJ_Biker
23-02-12, 08:09 PM
Half way through the video another cyclist pulls out of the junction and starts going the wrong way down the duel carriageway before thinking better of it.

dell_boy
23-02-12, 08:40 PM
jon w read my post again,..this time,..all of it

Wes
24-02-12, 07:13 PM
Professional driver as opposed to what? amateur? be good to know where you have be assessed to achieve such an accreditation. As for being held up by slower vehicles, that's pots and kettles from a truck driver.

wiltshire builders
24-02-12, 07:20 PM
Professional driver as opposed to what? amateur? be good to know where you have be assessed to achieve such an accreditation. As for being held up by slower vehicles, that's pots and kettles from a truck driver.
Surely the deffinition of a professional is someone who is paid to do a task. If that task is driving then yes you're a professional. If you're just popping to the shops..... not so much.

Wes
24-02-12, 07:32 PM
Hmmmm maybe in the sports world this is true, a bit to easy to apply if its down to being paid, like my nephew is a professional tabloid distribution engineer ;D ;D or paperboy ;D

dell_boy
24-02-12, 08:00 PM
professional driver,..as said is someone who is paid for doing it,..also,..someone who had to train to do it,..and has to hold a Certificate of professional Competence

ie weeks of classroom training!!..plus ongoing first aid training etc

i trained for 12 months in 1987,..driving,..first aid,.advanced driving,..basic mechanics,.off road driving,..driving on ice

so YES im a professional driver

as for holding up the traffic,..you are probably not aware,.trucks are only allowed to do 40mph on ANY single carriage way,..ie A roads

they are restricted to 56 MPH,..(making overtaking difficult)

so again,..different kettle of fish

wiltshire builders
24-02-12, 08:05 PM
Hmmmm maybe in the sports world this is true, a bit to easy to apply if its down to being paid, like my nephew is a professional tabloid distribution engineer ;D ;D or paperboy ;D
Nice try but untimately.......Fail!

Julie_S
24-02-12, 11:10 PM
Bus driving professionals. Any of you 'in the trade'? We quite like to watch Wiltshire's equivalent of Santa Pod on a Saturday morning (the old road through Semington that none of us mere mortals/unprofessional drivers are allowed to drive on, only bus drivers) Amazing to see the speed some of the 'professionals' can reach along that stretch before hitting the roundabout by the Police Station. god help you should you be heading off the A350 for Berryfields and meeting a bus at the roundabout in front of the police station **Allegedly

dell_boy
24-02-12, 11:40 PM
ooh..forgot to mention,..i hate bus drivers too!

dell_boy
24-02-12, 11:42 PM
well,..apart from 1,..but thats a long story!

KP
25-02-12, 06:41 PM
Well as a "professional " bus driver I'll have to comment , firstly on the video, I use that bus lane about 4 times a day, and the cyclist do just try an piss you off, but I would never use the bus as a weapon!

Secondly on "Santa pod" I don't know if you've noticed but they have put a big road around semington called a by-pass, which diverts the traffic out of the village, thus increasing the values of the properties there, but that's another story, it's not actually the bus company that decides where we are going, but the council, they also determine what times we do this, all our vehicles are fitted with sat nav tracking and a " drive green" system which informs the company if the bus is being driven fast or dangerously , but it's the poor driver who gets it in the neck by poor old Doris if we're running late, because she needs to be at Bath for an appointment at the RUH, so we need to catch up time where we can, to avoid disappointment ::)

KP
25-02-12, 06:45 PM
Ps.... Del , I don't like truck drivers either , well a couple of them ;)

dell_boy
25-02-12, 07:19 PM
aalllright,..2 bus drivers then!!! ;D

KP
25-02-12, 07:48 PM
Ha ha, you were in my couple of truck drivers ;D

goz1960
27-02-12, 11:35 AM
That clip was dreadful how lucky was he could have been killed.

Andybusa
28-02-12, 07:35 PM
Have to agree with you Dell but that cyclist was in no way an innocent victim! He actually "annoyed" the bus driver! Jesus if that ain't asking for it then what is!!

dell_boy
28-02-12, 08:02 PM
thats what i was trying to say andy,...it REALLY makes us mad,.....but we have to restrain!!

not like matey in the bus