PDA

View Full Version : Belstaff a 'British' embarrassment

wiltshire builders
01-03-12, 12:13 PM
I recently bought a Belstaff Tourist Trophy jacket as I needed a winter coat, I like the look of them and I had more money than sense.
I've had it less than 3 month and already one of the belt loops has come off along with one of the buttons.

A few of my friends own Belstaffs and they've all had the lining rip or stiching fail.
I expect a jacket costing over £400 to last a little longer to be honest especially as it was oringinally designed for trials riding.

Their slogan is 'English designed and made since 1924' well it turns out that it's actually owned by an Italian company.

Is nothing sacred!

Col
01-03-12, 12:19 PM
Would have thought the garment quality would be very high considering it is Italian owned :-?.

Mitch9128
01-03-12, 01:00 PM
Did you contact them?

wiltshire builders
01-03-12, 01:09 PM
I managed to fix the button myself (I don't just lay bricks) by the time I sent it off and they faffed around with it, summer would be here and I wouldn't need it.
The mate with the failed stitching did and they said they couldn't fix it and gave him a refund.
They used to be a British intitution, now it seems they're just trading off of their name.

Mitch9128
01-03-12, 01:38 PM
Ahh British institutions, do you drive an Allegro too? :P

Kevinb
01-03-12, 01:41 PM
I recently bought a Belstaff Tourist Trophy jacket as I needed a winter coat, I like the look of them and I had more money than sense.
I've had it less than 3 month and already one of the belt loops has come off along with one of the buttons.

A few of my friends own Belstaffs and they've all had the lining rip or stiching fail.
I expect a jacket costing over £400 to last a little longer to be honest especially as it was oringinally designed for trials riding.

Their slogan is 'English designed and made since 1924' well it turns out that it's actually owned by an Italian company.

Is nothing sacred!

'Along with one of the buttons' Did it rust?

wiltshire builders
01-03-12, 01:53 PM
No they're brass poppers. The whole thing came off.

Nelly
01-03-12, 07:34 PM
I bought a Belstaff waterproof some while back. First outing in the rain and the thing failed big style. Absolutely soaked to the skin. Terrible quality. Vowed i would never ever wear anything with their name on it ever again. >:(

Snowy
01-03-12, 08:01 PM
I had one of the wax cotton jackets in the late 70's which was lovely and greasy and waterproof ;D Guess it was British still at that point. Not had anything since but good old Ewan and Charley used them on the RTW trips. Thats probably why they're so expensive now.

Toph
01-03-12, 08:05 PM
When I worked at Plowrights Motorcycles in Trowbridge in the mid 70's we sold the Belstaff Trialmaster waxed cotton suits... they sold like hot cakes... they were indestuctable!!

redken1
01-03-12, 08:08 PM
I had the wax cotton jacket and trousers early 80s-they didn't have stink-people walking past would avoid me as if I was a skunk. lol ;D

Snowy
01-03-12, 08:16 PM
I had the wax cotton jacket and trousers earlt 80s-they didn't have stink-people walking past would avoid me as if I was a skunk. lol ;D

Ha ha, yes, I had forgotten about the smell ;D

redken1
01-03-12, 08:30 PM
I had the wax cotton jacket and trousers earlt 80s-they didn't have stink-people walking past would avoid me as if I was a skunk. lol ;D

Ha ha, yes, I had forgotten about the smell ;D

No good for the bike but great for keeping the boring old git who frequented my local from annoying me. If you knew him you would realise why they were worth every penny lol ;D

Nelly
01-03-12, 08:39 PM
...and when it rained....your neck went black!
;D

DaytonaDog
01-03-12, 10:05 PM
I had the wax cotton jacket and trousers early 80s-they didn't have stink-people walking past would avoid me as if I was a skunk. lol ;D

Me too, and the trousers......a very unique aroma. ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
02-03-12, 09:28 AM

Me too, and the trousers......a very unique aroma. ;D ;D
They're a bit more sofistimocated now.
Not like a barbour and all oily. Mine might smell but that wouldn't be the coats fault. ;)
It really keeps the wind and rain out and looks amazing, it's just a shame it's constructed so badly

Jon_W
02-03-12, 10:30 AM
I use Spada.... it works, lasts and is reasonably priced.

Have tried other brands and only Clover has lasted longer.

Kevinb
02-03-12, 01:22 PM
When I worked at Plowrights Motorcycles in Trowbridge in the mid 70's we sold the Belstaff Trialmaster waxed cotton suits... they sold like hot cakes... they were indestuctable!!

I didn't know you had worked at Plowrights. I used to go there (once I was old enough, so must have been early 80's)

I had a 70's Trialmaster I acquired from my brother & yes they did stink

wiltshire builders
02-03-12, 02:20 PM

I didn't know you had worked at Plowrights. I used to go there (once I was old enough, so must have been early 80's)

Still got it? They go for big bucks now even if they're damaged.

Kevinb
02-03-12, 04:12 PM

Still got it? They go for big bucks now even if they're damaged.

No I checked not that long a go to see if it was still at my mums house. It probably would have still fitted because I was just as fat back then ;D