PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to bring them home?

redken1
08-03-12, 07:19 PM
404 of our brave young service personnel have now died in Afghanistan, yet politicians and Military top-brass still spin the yarn that our troops are there to protect our national security.

Everyone knows that Al Qaeda and its terrorist allies fled years ago to find safe havens in Islamic states such as Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen and Nigeria.

Despite PM Cameron’s repeated claim that the deployment of British troops in Afghanistan “Is making a real difference,” the civilian death toll across the country continues to rise. Last year, civilian deaths reached a record high of 3,021, according to the United Nations, the fifth consecutive rise.

In the wake of yesterday’s deadly roadside attack which killed six of our brave soldiers, defence secretary Philip Hammond said, it would not "shake the resolve" to see the mission in Afghanistan through.

What exactly is our mission? Whatever it is, can it be accomplished?
How many more brave young British men and women will have to pay the ultimate sacrifice before we say enough is enough?

RIP none of you will ever be forgotten :'(

Swanny
08-03-12, 07:35 PM
Enough is enough bring them back

cornishbob
08-03-12, 08:30 PM
surely thats what they get paid for no?
you work in macdonalds you get paid to wash lettuce
you join the army you dont expect to wash lettuce

Dan505
08-03-12, 09:22 PM
fatbob, when you sign up you, you generally know and accept the risks, when you are working towards a known goal you try to achieve it with your best but when you are being lead blind by others who have NO IDEA on how best to use you it is DEMORALISING! no one who fights expects it to be them next and you cope when your mate does go but we can't let these high numbers of deaths continue without this nation supporting our lads properly :-/

goz1960
08-03-12, 09:31 PM

Sounds like a bit of a twat?.

Splash
09-03-12, 07:32 AM

Sounds like a bit of a twat?.

+1 to that!

Squashed_Fly
09-03-12, 09:33 AM

That's quite a blunt & tactless (given the recent situation and the number of service personnel on this forum) way of putting what is effectively true.

It's tough - we are led by greedy politicians who go where there is something to be had for them. And if people don't want that, then they shouldn't join up. That said, I still think it's time to come home.

My thoughts are with the families of those who have fallen. At least they died doing what they loved - serving their country. Regardless of the morals/ethics of the war.

Mark_Able
09-03-12, 12:47 PM
I really do not understand why the troops are there? I don't understand the mission. I don't know what we are hoping to accomplish.

RIP the recent unnecessary deaths.

Fatbob, there's a job vacancy for you...

Nikki
09-03-12, 01:36 PM
I really do not understand why the troops are there? I don't understand the mission. I don't know what we are hoping to accomplish.

RIP the recent unnecessary deaths.

My sentiments entirely.

Swanny
09-03-12, 04:20 PM
At least they died doing what they loved - serving their country.
I don't think they are serving their country. Afghanistan is no threat to us.

Squashed_Fly
09-03-12, 06:09 PM

Sounds like a debate, where I would normally put something that may would be torn apart, that Snowy and Scotty would put something contradictory and blunt, Witshire builders would ask if it was SF hunting season yet, Jon W would keep the peace, and Redken would find a reason to mention the government... [this section of my post is meant to be taken in good humour]

Am I game? You bet your ass!

Of course they are serving their country - regardless of the cause/reason/effect, they still work for our government and are serving the country. Your opinion on whether we should be there or not, doesn't really change that.... They are army boys through and through, and wther the war is ethical or not, they are out there because they believe that whatever the army tells them is best, is what they should do.

And they are proud to serve. let's not take that away from them...

Snowy
09-03-12, 06:26 PM

Sounds like a debate, where I would normally put something that may would be torn apart, that Snowy and Scotty would put something contradictory and blunt, Witshire builders would ask if it was SF hunting season yet, Jon W would keep the peace, and Redken would find a reason to mention the government... [this section of my post is meant to be taken in good humour]

Am I game? You bet your ass!

Of course they are serving their country - regardless of the cause/reason/effect, they still work for our government and are serving the country. Your opinion on whether we should be there or not, doesn't really change that.... They are army boys through and through, and wther the war is ethical or not, they are out there because they believe that whatever the army tells them is best, is what they should do.

And they are proud to serve. let's not take that away from them...

Usually happy to pull you apart anytime if I'm bored SF, but not on this occasion as it's a serious discussion thread and should be kept as such :-X

Dan505
09-03-12, 06:33 PM
Usually happy to pull you apart anytime if I'm bored SF, but not on this occasion as it's a serious discussion thread and should be kept as such :-X

we're all entitled to our own opinions and the right to air them as and when we like......but who won us that right, the right to freedom and the right to speak english and not sprechen sie deutsch.... i agree with the above posts with the exception of FB's :-?

Snowy
09-03-12, 06:39 PM
we're all entitled to our own opinions and the right to air them as and when we like......but who won us that right, the right to freedom and the right to speak english and not sprechen sie deutsch.... i agree with the above posts with the exception of FB's :-?

Agreed...not a subject to be flippant about. Had about 30 of the injured in for rehab today - I'm amazed at how cheerful they are all things considered.

Beamer
09-03-12, 06:41 PM
Stuff the politics.......6 of our own have died !!

They joined up, they went to do what they were told to do, they died doing it

Like them and many before them and Im sure there will be more, they died doing their job.

I thank them and every other member of the armed forces for doing what they do. And I will bring my son up knowing that the armed forces are there to protect whatever they are told to protect

R.I.P to the 6....so young but each one of them died a hero in my eyes.....thoughts to their families and friends

goz1960
09-03-12, 06:58 PM

Like them and many before them and Im sure there will be more, they died doing their job.

I thank them and every other member of the armed forces for doing what they do. And I will bring my son up knowing that the armed forces are there to protect whatever they are told to protect

R.I.P to the 6....so young but each one of them died a hero in my eyes.....thoughts to their families and friends

Second everything you have said.

redken1
09-03-12, 08:23 PM
I make no apologies for discussing the politics and the government’s role in the conflict in Afghanistan for two simple and obvious reasons. Firstly, it was a government (previous) decision to deploy our troops in the country and the government will decide ultimately, when to bring them home. Secondly, in our democracy our politicians are merely representatives of the people and as such are accountable to us.

The latest poll I could find on the conflict was conducted in October 2011 by Pew Global Attitudes Project.

United Kingdom: “57% want all of their soldiers brought home immediately. 71% think the war is unwinnable, an increase of 11% from June, and 60% said the war was not worth the deaths of British soldiers. 62% disagree that having British military forces makes Britain a safer place and 58% say their country's military intervention actually increases the likelihood of a terrorist attack at home.”

Because I agree with all of the above and fully support our troops, I personally believe that they should be withdrawn from Afghanistan immediately.

DaytonaDog
09-03-12, 08:26 PM

Some what disrespectful!!!!!!!

Dan505
09-03-12, 08:27 PM

:( finally a bit of sense, never mean to drone on but things like this matter to me :(

DaytonaDog
09-03-12, 08:28 PM

Tina, couldn't have put it better. You echo my sentiments and thoughs.

Mitch9128
10-03-12, 08:36 AM

Whilst soldiers in WW2 fought off ze Germans, and won, with the the help of the Russians. They and not one single other soldier has ever won us rights, rights are won by civilians, unions and coalitions, soldiers take away rights. Just setting the record straight there!

I fully support the withdrawal of our troops to protect our borders, i don't think there is any better way to support the troops than to get them home into the 'bosom' of their families, instead of dying for Bush's ego, or gas, whichever conspiracy you believe.

Snowy
10-03-12, 09:56 AM
Whilst soldiers in WW2 fought off ze Germans, and won, with the the help of the Russians. They and not one single other soldier has ever won us rights, rights are won by civilians, unions and coalitions, soldiers take away rights. Just setting the record straight there!

I fully support the withdrawal of our troops to protect our borders, i don't think there is any better way to support the troops than to get them home into the 'bosom' of their families, instead of dying for Bush's ego, or gas, whichever conspiracy you believe.

and just setting the record straight, that quote above is not mine!

Mitch9128
10-03-12, 12:24 PM
and just setting the record straight, that quote above is not mine!

Neither is your quote mine, quote is obviously fubar.

Dan505
10-03-12, 12:30 PM
Eh? This is getting random?

Can mods just close this thread and we all agree that people dying, whoever they are and however it happens, is not cheery news

Edited for spelling :-[