PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sorry for myself

Maz
14-03-12, 07:26 AM
Well,

I havent been on here in a little while.

Sold my lovely ninja and cried when it went. I thought that there would be a chance of me still being able to ride but looks like this isnt to be the case.

I am now on sticks for the rest of my life as my knee is too weak.

I have to have its a hard pill to swallow. Found out this week that there is nothing else anyone can do, i have to live with it at the age of 23.

Makes me angry, I was speaking to my GP about getting a blue badge and because all the surgeons I have seen have said different things it might be hard as I do not have a propper diagnosis. Out of a list of 8 possilbe issues I know I have defo got 2 of them.

Makes me anrgy how they can ditch me and leave me hanging like this, Ive been fighing the NHS for years over a screw up a surgeon did and no one wants to take responsibility other than saying ow, we think you have this. I am like well thats another one to add to the long list...

I miss my biking its so much fun, its not just about you and the bike but about you guys too...!!! Massive family I will miss...xxx

Jon_W
14-03-12, 07:41 AM
I met a guy with Polio, he loved bikes but could never ride.... so he made a trike. Brilliant thing using parts from MZ's and an Allegro!!! He didn't give up.....

Maz
14-03-12, 08:00 AM
Thanks hun, Ive been looking at trikes but I am unsure on how the clasifications work with regards to the licence. Unfortunately DVLA has said I can only drive automatics so, if the trike falls under a car licence I dont know where I would stand.

Demonbaker
14-03-12, 08:05 AM
Ha Maz. I've never met you and don't know whats caused your disability, but all i can say is don't give up. I know several people who have ridden or do ride with a disability.One guy had a leg missing and you would not know he had a false leg and others use trikes etc. Also i find a friends boyfriend an inspiration, Josh lost both legs while serving in Afgan he is a fantastic guy and the father of a year old baby girl.

Jon_W
14-03-12, 08:09 AM
There are plenty of trike people out there who know the rules. NABD might be a good place to start. Great bunch they've probably got someone whos been in the same position.

http://www.nabd.org.uk/

Kevinb
14-03-12, 08:44 AM
Depending on your needs, a trike or bike with a sidecar.
If you can or would like to try a motorbike and sidecar I have a Triumph outfit

BB
14-03-12, 01:46 PM
Hey, I appreciate you will feel down at the moment but keep smiling and look to the future. There's a thread on here about Talan, he's paraplegic and still rides, not to mention does loads of other stuff too.
Make sure you check out the nabd website they have lots of ideas. They would probably be able to advise on licence requirements too. If you are restricted to an automatic licence then that means your car licence is restricted but I'm sure a trike could be adapted to comply.

BB

Wes
14-03-12, 05:29 PM
Maybe someone with a sidecar or trike could bring you along to one of the events or rideouts :)

goz1960
14-03-12, 07:29 PM
Sorry don't know you, however if there is ever anything I can do to help you in your plight to get back in the saddle I would be willing to help. And I am sure you would be inundated with offers of help from the good people on this forum.

Toph
15-03-12, 06:18 PM
Hey Maz, sorry your knee is worse than expected and also so sorry about you having to sell your beloved Ninja. :(

Nelly
15-03-12, 06:21 PM
BB is right Maz. No need to give up. Have a look here....

http://web.me.com/tskeelspiggins/Disabled_Motorcycling/Bike_Experience.html

Maz
16-03-12, 09:08 AM
Thanks all...

Am thinking about getting one of the following...

Honda Steed 400
Honda VRX400
Suzuki Desperado 400
Suzuki Intruder 400
Suzuki VS400
Yamaha Drag Star XVS 400

I do have limited funds £2000

I will swap the pedals over if that makes sense (gear over to the right and break over to the left and that should sort the problem out as its placing my leg on the ground thats the issue)and get someone to weld crutch holders on the bike :D for my sticks...

These bikes are 33bhp so no need to wait. I just cannot find one on the internet for sale!!

Maz
16-03-12, 09:09 AM
Ha Maz. I've never met you and don't know whats caused your disability, but all i can say is don't give up. I know several people who have ridden or do ride with a disability.One guy had a leg missing and you would not know he had a false leg and others use trikes etc. Also i find a friends boyfriend an inspiration, Josh lost both legs while serving in Afgan he is a fantastic guy and the father of a year old baby girl.

Small world as Josh is my mate! Havent spoken to him since last year...

goz1960
16-03-12, 09:21 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VRX400-VRX-400-Roadster-classic-V-twin-Rarer-than-400-Bros-Shadow-/190653965077?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2c63dca315

Found this in the advert it said ono looks in very good condition and its local.

Morticia
16-03-12, 08:55 PM
Maz, please go and help Talan one day. He is the most inspirational rider you'll ever meet, and talking to him will let you see how there really are no limits. DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Geordie Stu
19-03-12, 11:44 AM
BB is right Maz. No need to give up. Have a look here....

http://web.me.com/tskeelspiggins/Disabled_Motorcycling/Bike_Experience.html

Maz, Do take a look at the above. This guy could be an inspiration or just offer some advise.

Maz
19-03-12, 05:39 PM
Thanks x