PDA

View Full Version : Road Tax

Geordie Stu
27-03-12, 04:56 PM
In my travels up & down the country I have noticed an increase of Right hand drive vehicles, cars, vans, lorries registered with foreign plates, German, Netherlands, French...etc

Does anyone know what the DVLA say about registering your car abroad & paying the respective road tax in that country. What's to stop us buying a foriegn plate & registering it in that country?

Swanny
27-03-12, 06:34 PM
Many years ago my mate had a DT50 that his Dad bought him in Jersey. The police gave him loads of hassle about the number plate and he ended up registering it here. Not sure if he had to by law though.

Mitch9128
27-03-12, 06:55 PM
If you are resident in any country, you have 6 weeks to register/tax etc it. How would you register a car abroad if you are resident here?

Ducatista
27-03-12, 07:00 PM
What's to stop us buying a foriegn plate & registering it in that country?

I think you might find insurance more expensive and therefore counter-productive.

Geordie Stu
27-03-12, 08:53 PM
For vans & lorries perhaps they have a registered office abroad & trade in the UK, that would make sense. I'm not looking to do just an observation

Dan505
27-03-12, 09:27 PM
as mitch says 6 weeks...let us all know as soon as you set up your Monaco haven Stu, we could all do with the perks
:D

jpssantos
29-03-12, 09:32 PM
its 1 year....

the cars you see is probably people that brought them over from their country of origin over here.

You can have a car here on foreign plates for a period of 12 months.. then you have to register here or take it back and then return here again..

as long as the car in question pays road tax and insurance in the country of origin, and the insurance covers to drive over here, then all is legal.

I had my portuguese car over here for 3 years, never had any problem. was stopped a few times, showed the papers, proof of insurance and road tax paid and was let go on my way..

Mitch9128
30-03-12, 10:03 AM
A year!!?? It used to be 6 weeks for sure, when i took my uk reg car to BFG i had 6 weeks to BFG register and test it, same returning to UK, you had 6 weeks to register and MOT it if required, the rools 'as bin relacksed innit.