PDA

View Full Version : What's the panic???

Swanny
29-03-12, 09:36 PM
I don't understand why everyone is panic buying fuel :-/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/29/panic-buying-fuel-prospect-peace-talks?newsfeed=true

"There is no fuel tanker strike and therefore if drivers followed normal fuel-buying patterns there would be no fuel shortage whatsoever," said King. "We now have self-inflicted shortages due to poor advice about topping up the tank and hoarding in jerrycans. This in turn has led to localised shortages, queues and some profiteering at the pumps."

He added that the statutory seven days' notice on setting strike dates would give motorists plenty of time to replenish supplies if a fuel strike does occur. "Even if we do have a strike, which is unlikely, there will be seven days' notice of strike action, and therefore time for drivers to fill up. The AA has advised all along that drivers should follow their normal fuel-buying patterns."

I'm not following the sheeple and needlessly filling up on fuel.

Toph
29-03-12, 09:42 PM
I think Redken's comments on another related thread hit the nail squarely on the head.
Gooberment creating panic ahead of the end of the financial year to increase the coffers? allegedly!!!! lol ;D
The sale of petrol has been reported as being up by 80% over the past week, considering a huge %age of revenue from petrol sales go straight to government coffers... nice little earner !! :o

Beamer
29-03-12, 09:47 PM
I always have and probably always will get fuel when I actually notice the dial is nearly at the bottom (its a woman thing apparently) except if I know Ive got a fair bit of travelling to do for work......but its a bit of a pain in the bum driving past garages with queues half way up the road knowing Im going to have to get in a queue and look like one of those twits that are panic buying.......the way I look at it if I cant get fuel I dont drive full stop !!

I am one of the lucky ones who lives within walking distance of my 'office', I can do telephone support for those I work with instead of visiting projects up to 70 miles away.....I must admit Im glad the schools are shut for 2 weeks so there will be no school run either.........but I just wish some people would stop doing the 'me,me,me' thing and consider other options/people instead. ::) ::)

redken1
29-03-12, 09:48 PM
I think Redken's comments on another related thread hit the nail squarely on the head.
Gooberment creating panic ahead of the end of the financial year to increase the coffers? allegedly!!!! lol ;D

It was also a government tactic to turn public opinion against the tanker drivers. Don't be fooled - oldest trick in the book ;)

Mitch9128
30-03-12, 09:59 AM
The fuel shortage is a nice distraction from the fact that the Conservatives were caught out selling themselves to their donors last week. Not that I would ever suggest they are using the non-existent fuel strike to bury bad news. But they aren't half milking it.

Swanny
30-03-12, 02:25 PM
Yea and the garages are putting the prices up now >:(
I will need to put some petrol in my car this weekend but don't want to join the idiots in the queues :-/

FJ_Biker
30-03-12, 03:27 PM
think Redken's comments on another related thread hit the nail squarely on the head.
Gooberment creating panic ahead of the end of the financial year to increase the coffers? allegedly!!!! lol

It was also a government tactic to turn public opinion against the tanker drivers. Don't be fooled - oldest trick in the book

For some reason I can’t help but think this was started by the Tory party to cover up David Cameron’s cash for access.

Ducatista
30-03-12, 04:22 PM
I haven't been out to get petrol because I'd rather leave it for ambulances and people that need to get to hospital.

However I do understand the concern of people who have genuine needs e.g. to get food to elderly relatives or to get to hospital appointments.

Almost certainly a lot of selfish behaviour though.

Moo
30-03-12, 04:59 PM

It was also a government tactic to turn public opinion against the tanker drivers. Don't be fooled - oldest trick in the book ;)

Yep, same thing with Civil Servants, we are all overpaid scum!!

Ducatista
30-03-12, 07:26 PM
It was also a government tactic to turn public opinion against the tanker drivers.

Well that's back fired then - big time.
It has been well and truly demonstrated what a essential service they provide for the economy and how they work long and anti-social hours when called upon for the benefit of the community/economy.
They are well paid, but I wouldn't want to work nights and most weekends.

redken1
30-03-12, 07:51 PM
It was also a government tactic to turn public opinion against the tanker drivers.

Well that's back fired then - big time.
It has been well and truly demonstrated what a essential service they provide for the economy and how they work long and anti-social hours when called upon for the benefit of the community/economy.
They are well paid, but I wouldn't want to work nights and most weekends.

If this dispute can’t be resolved at the ACAS talks, I wonder which side holds all the aces in the event of industrial action?

Swanny
30-03-12, 08:13 PM
Some crazy stories on the radio today about people doing the maddest things at petrol stations in their panic induced state trying to get fuel they don't even need :o

Dabz
30-03-12, 09:41 PM
What I don't understand is that everyone I know is annoyed at the idiots who are panic buying - so who are these people who are queuing??

Going to avoid using fuel this weekend so I don't have to join the queues, means a well needed day of gardening tomorrow!

Loops
30-03-12, 09:46 PM
I had to join a queue today :( Needed fuel for work next week and both stations I pass were sold out of unleaded - had to go on an expedition to Chippenham.

Now have fuel for a further 1 1/2 weeks of commuting, lets hope it's all calmed down by then! ::)

Couldn't believe how quickly people started panic buying!

Swanny
30-03-12, 10:48 PM
Carrying the extra weight of a full tank of fuel makes your car more uneconomical ;D

Rabb
30-03-12, 11:40 PM
A few months ago I was speaking with a petrol tanker driver.
He told me that his employer was only employing him on a monthly basis - his employers had changed the terms of his contract after working for them for several years (eight I believe)
No wonder they are unhappy as employees.
You reap what you sow.........

Swanny
31-03-12, 08:52 AM
The government has now said there is no need the stock up on fuel :-X

Beamer
31-03-12, 09:03 AM
All I can say is they must be really happy with the end of year accounts !!!

Swanny
31-03-12, 09:47 AM
Yea it was definitely done for some purpose other than their concern that we might not have enough fuel to get to tescos

Usually the government tells people not to panic
Arseholes