PDA

View Full Version : Any one going to the olympics?

Crosbie
25-03-12, 09:51 PM
as the title say's! me and the missus are and iv just tryed booking our train tickets - what a hash job is all i can say. not a simple process, nothing is clear, nothing ties up. I suspect the whole of the olympics will be very similar but we shall see.... Any way, after giving up trying to book train tickets i started wondering ---- could going on the bike be a better option all round? iv tryed googling and searching the olympics webs site but nothing is said about it.
Is anyone else going on their bike. if so what are you going to watch and where do you anticipate parking?

Cheers.
Crosbie. :)

goz1960
26-03-12, 07:05 PM
Simple reply No No No

Hazel-nut
26-03-12, 07:24 PM
I heard on the radio earlier that there is no parking at the venues so you should go by public transport. They did mention a website to arrange travel but I can't remember it I'm afraid :-/

Morticia
26-03-12, 10:49 PM
I applied for a job in the gym :)

Squashed_Fly
27-03-12, 06:50 AM
look on TFL's website, or get in touch with them if it's no help (which knowing anything public sector, it probably won't be!)

Jacde
28-03-12, 12:55 PM
Train booking are normally released 6-8 weeks in advance.
Have you considered national express or mega Bus?
As Hazel said there is no public parking at the venues (except I expect disabled parking)
You could bike up and then find somewhere to park bike and then use public transport across London, but that would mean either leaving your kit somewhere like a main line station, i.e Euston, Paddington left luggage or carting it round with you.
Underground, DLR is at the best of times busy, I suspect it will be manic come the Olympics, you wouldn't want to be carrying anything that isn't neccessary (plus could be a vicious rumour but I think spectators are being asked to restrict the amount of bags they have with them)
Is there not any information with your tickets?

Kevinb
28-03-12, 01:31 PM
You could save lots of money, time and effort and just watch it on the TV. :)

Beamer
28-03-12, 05:14 PM
Train booking are normally released 6-8 weeks in advance.
Have you considered national express or mega Bus?
As Hazel said there is no public parking at the venues (except I expect disabled parking)
You could bike up and then find somewhere to park bike and then use public transport across London, but that would mean either leaving your kit somewhere like a main line station, i.e Euston, Paddington left luggage or carting it round with you.
Underground, DLR is at the best of times busy, I suspect it will be manic come the Olympics, you wouldn't want to be carrying anything that isn't neccessary (plus could be a vicious rumour but I think spectators are being asked to restrict the amount of bags they have with them)
Is there not any information with your tickets?

I know its a different venue but a colleague went to Wembley on Sunday with some wheelchair users.....nearest parking was a mile away...........Hopefully the Olympic stadium will have better facilities for disabled people !!

Andybusa
28-03-12, 07:23 PM
No I'm not but I can recommend a good psychiatrist ;D

Crosbie
30-03-12, 12:04 PM
OH.... :( lol. I was hoping someone else would be going on the bike so i wouldnt feel like its an insaine idea. Obviously is...

Jacde, the emails from the Olympics people has links to a speacial site where you can book everything in advance before national rail - only problem is one page has a train time leaving at 7.30am arriving at 12.45 (the train i want) click the link and a new page loads which then displays the earliest time of some time way after 8am which gets me in too late for the event. This is what i mean about a hash job. If they can get the website and train times right how the hell can they expect to run a whole olympics?!?! My Tickets for the event havent been delivered yet either and none of the emails give you an indication of when you will get them. ::)

To go on national express would be like crossing the atlantic on a rowing boat! :o ;D its bad enough that the train journey is estimated to be circa 5 hours

The use of public transport just frustrates me - why would any one want to pay stupid money to get on a train which is crammed, hot and generally not a great place to be and likely to be late. the truth is no one wants to but we are forced but thats a whole different subject :-X lol.

I think i will wait till national rail's site lets you book tickets and see what they come up with (not being associated with the government i suspect it will be a little more accurate! ;D and for the moment go on the basis that i will go on the bike with plently of time to spare.

Jacde
30-03-12, 03:06 PM
Crosbie

5 hours to get to Stratford hummmmm :-? Where are you based?

Swanny
30-03-12, 08:11 PM
Each to their own but I wouldn't go even if I was given a VIP seat :)

goz1960
02-04-12, 10:11 PM
I have a nasty feeling that terrorists will target the Olympics, in London with the eyes of the world on it, spells trouble to me.

Swanny
03-04-12, 01:12 AM
More likely to be a false flag attack

Crosbie
03-04-12, 09:00 AM
Crosbie

5 hours to get to Stratford hummmmm :-? Where are you based?

You and I and everyone elses knows 5 hours is utter Bo >:( :( ox but according to the olympics train booking system thats how long it will take me to get there from Trowbridge where as at the moment i can get in within 2 hours i believe...

Swanny, I have tickets for hockey as I play hockey myself and do have a genuine interest. Its not like im going to watch the ladies syncro swimming just to have a perv ::) The coverage on TV wont be as good as seeing it on the pitch for me.

@bj
03-04-12, 10:28 AM
...Its not like im going to watch the ladies syncro swimming just to have a perv ::)
Perv is such a strong word Officer - I would describe it more as

An appreciation of the Female form... :)

Jon_W
05-04-12, 08:07 AM
No. Watching it on the box. Far cheaper, morwe comfy and get a better view!!!!

Bring on the rowing...... :D

off_again
10-04-12, 12:28 PM
Going with the wife and two kids to the Olympics! Couldnt face the whole in and out of London thing - especially since its east London and thats a nightmare on an average day!

Nah, cheated and got tickets to the sailing down at Weymouth! Bit of an ex-sailor myself (many years ago) and I am reliably told that the facilities there are excellent and its cleverly setup for spectators.

....and there is parking....

;D

Gerry
11-04-12, 04:14 PM
Wasn’t going to go, but a club mate of mine, Phil Marsh, still has the chance to be selected for Mens Epee (Fencing) think it’s between him and our current number one ranked guy. Philip is only young (think 17) but he’s been fencing like a demon in the last twelve months.

It’s funny, three years ago, he was just another lad who was a bit tidy and I used to try to encourage, two years ago I could still beat him as long as I gave it 100% effort, a year ago he was beating me more than I beat him. Last time we fought, he beat me 15-2 !
He’s now the Junior World epee Champion and British Senior epee Champion - nice lad too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHCjEmBnGRk

Phil has an unusual style (same as mine) where we hold the very end of the handle (called a pommel) it gives an extra 3-4” in length but you lose almost all of the grip (we are often lovingly known as “cheating pommelling bastards“) This means you need to fence with no blade contact , otherwise your opponent just bashes your blade out of your hand and stabs you.
It can be very effective but makes for crap spectator value.

Epee fencing (as opposed to foil or sabre) is based on duelling, everything’s the target, toe to head, and no rules of engagement. He who hits first wins the point, end of. There are no points for style (thank God) or the way you do it (as ina duel) !
Great fun... :)