PDA

View Full Version : It's started already... (llandow space available!)

Squashed_Fly
21-04-12, 09:46 AM
Married life is already taking it's toll, and I'm reliably informed that it's a good idea to sell the bike for the time being, and use that money toward to the deposit on our first house as we're about £2k short of where we need to be.

That being the case (and for once I do actually agree, much to my disappointment), then my space on the Cornwall trip and also Llandow are up for grabs. I can always get another bike next year...

If you would like either (both are paid for minus £2 for Corwall), then please let me know, and I can give you my bank details to transfer the monies across so you can have my places.

Here's to buying my first house! [smiley=beer.gif]

Scotty
21-04-12, 12:53 PM
Hold on, just checking the book of Racing Excuses.... Yep, here we are, #107; "Wife says I must sell the bike, money needed for house"
Sounds like both feet are already on the slippery slope and you're on your way...
Best of luck. Perhaps we should run a book on how long it is before SF gets another bike, a bit like the 100 club, everyone could choose a number (in terms of months), but even 100 months is only 8 years 4 months and if the two of you start spawning whilst bike-free it could be longer... :-?

Dabz
21-04-12, 12:54 PM
Bit of a bugger but gotta be done - I sold my track car to go towards the house deposit :/

wiltshire builders
21-04-12, 01:09 PM
Reminds me of my friend Kev but in reverse. He made it clear from day 1 that he will always own a bike.
He loves his girlfriend and son more than life itself but bikes are in his blood.
He once traded his new R1 for an RSV4 Factory. When I asked him how much it was he said "Only £50 a month more than I was paying for the Yamaha"
To him it made sense. Personally I don't think I could act that way.

Do whatever makes you happy but be warned, not many return after hanging up their leathers.

Congratulations BTW. Hope you had a great day.

Squashed_Fly
21-04-12, 01:11 PM
The leathers are definately not being hung up! lol

It's only short term. But like Scotty says, who knows what priorities might be in the next few years. But I'm certainly hoping that once we have the house out of the way, I can get the 98 R1 that I've always wanted... Kids aren't in the plans for a couple of years yet as it's not possible at the moment with long term contraception!

redken1
21-04-12, 05:44 PM
Aidan, fair play to you for trading your bike in for a wife. ;D :P

Anyone know of any bike dealers out there, which accept wives as part exchange against a new bike? :o ;) ;D

Dan505
22-04-12, 05:27 PM
Can you not get a tent? Lets you stay 2 wheeling then or sell the car, half on the house and half on a bike for the other half ;D.....good luck with it tho

Senna(Dan)
22-04-12, 09:15 PM
Aidan,
Can you not trade down in the car department?
Use the argument that it is:
1.Cheaper to insure.
2. Cheaper to tax.
3. Cheaper to run.
It probably wont work, but that is how I managed to procure my new machine.

Squashed_Fly
23-04-12, 07:34 AM
Company car so I don't get a say!

The sad fact is, Jen has about £4k more than I do in savings, and we are still about £8k short of what we need to start the process. Just have to tighten belts for 12-18 months and cut out all most of the luxuries. The bike is not a need, and I can have another once we have the house sorted. It's not forever

Gerry
23-04-12, 11:21 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Squashed, but it’s worse than you think !

Only two days ago you were only 2K short, and now you are 8K short - this means you have lost 6K (got my accountant to work it out) in two days :-/

At this rate, by the end of the year you will be £738,000 short :o

The only good news I can think of is that Halfords are having a tent sale at the mo ;D

G :)

Squashed_Fly
23-04-12, 11:27 AM
Yeah, that was before we looked at some houses yesterday, and the guy said "oh yeah, you don't just need 5% deposit, you still need the equivalent of 10% as you now have stamp duty and legals, plus reservation fees etc"

It's enough to make you question whether it's worth actually starting the process. We thoughtwe only had £2k to find :'(