PDA

View Full Version : Cars M.O.T

goz1960
30-04-12, 03:33 PM
Who would have one, took the Peugeot for its annual MOT failed and told the cost would be £500.00, did not see that one coming :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Dan505
30-04-12, 06:02 PM
take it to motest in hawksworth, it'll pass, regardless of its condition...they don't seem that thorough :-/

goz1960
30-04-12, 07:41 PM
Tyres were borderline 4 tyres = £240.00

Discs and pads front = £180.00

Sticking rear brakes strip and clean = £75.00

MOT Around =£50.00

:'( :'(OUCH That hurt Dan

Dan505
30-04-12, 08:04 PM
euro car parts will sort you out cheaper brakes than that.
kwik fit can do you 4 corners of rubber
unsticking the rear is 1/2 hr with a mallet, brake cleaner and bit of elbow grease and MOT at motest is £29

wasn't meant as a dig just saying they seem to pass majority of cars regardless of the state their in. i unstuck the rear caliper on my impreza and it was just road salt on the piston. give us the make and model and i'll take a look 'google' at something for you

BB
01-05-12, 07:42 AM
Please don't recommend people who are 'not that thorough' It does us no favours - or them if an MOT inspector spots this thread.

I'd rather have someone point out the problems that I had grown accustomed to, than wrap a vehicle up possibly injuring someone or worse. If you don't like the MOT stations quote you can always shop around or DIY, then go back for MOT.

Just my point of view of course.

BB

Squashed_Fly
01-05-12, 12:06 PM
Please don't recommend people who are 'not that thorough' It does us no favours - or them if an MOT inspector spots this thread.

I'd rather have someone point out the problems that I had grown accustomed to, than wrap a vehicle up possibly injuring someone or worse. If you don't like the MOT stations quote you can always shop around or DIY, then go back for MOT.

Just my point of view of course.

BB

+1 -with the caveat that I can't stand garages that try to rip people off by finding faults that can easily be fixed with said elbow grease & mallet!

We go to Haskins in Wroughton - family owned firm, they're always fair. Jens exhaust looked knackered to me when we last took it in. Most garages would have got £200 out of me, but they told me it was just the outer skin, and it had another 12-18 months left yet.

Dan505
01-05-12, 03:10 PM
Fair points - but i'm not advocating the use of dodgy garages, i only said they don't seem that thorough. Goz can make up his own mind where he takes his car, but i do understand the point your making BB

Agree with you SF, i hate it when you get quoted through the roof with things that are easily fixable.

wiltshire builders
01-05-12, 03:40 PM
I don't think any M.O.T tester is negligent. But some are extremely overzealous. I always give my car to a local mechanic who then takes it to the testing station. They don't take the p*ss then as the mechanic knows the score. Trouble is you need to know a mechanic in the first place.

Bathwick tyres is the cheapest place I know for rubber and they'll even fit tyres if you buy them from the net.

Snowy
01-05-12, 04:53 PM
I don't think any M.O.T tester is negligent. But some are extremely overzealous. I always give my car to a local mechanic who then takes it to the testing station. They don't take the p*ss then as the mechanic knows the score. Trouble is you need to know a mechanic in the first place.

Bathwick tyres is the cheapest place I know for rubber and they'll even fit tyres if you buy them from the net.

I'm the same in that I have an excellent local mechanic who I use to get the MOT done at the same time as a service. Just gets done whats needed, nothing more nothing less.

I also agree with BB - I would rather know that something is wrong with my car and get it fixed rather than drive around in a death trap. None of my bike's have ever failed an MOT but that one's down to me ;D ;D

NiteW4tcher
01-05-12, 05:12 PM
my van failed haha £500

doing myself @ half the price

Rossio
02-05-12, 04:58 AM
IWS In fairford are the cheapest place for tyre round here, and regularly does half price MOT's if it is tyres tho you can spread the cost a bit,part worns are only 20 quid each usually and will do you a little while :)
And as mentioned euro car parts are very reasonable for parts, i got drive shafts for 56 quid each!try find that anywhere else!

goz1960
02-05-12, 08:55 AM
IWS In fairford are the cheapest place for tyre round here, and regularly does half price MOT's if it is tyres tho you can spread the cost a bit,part worns are only 20 quid each usually and will do you a little while :)
And as mentioned euro car parts are very reasonable for parts, i got drive shafts for 56 quid each!try find that anywhere else!

Took my car to second to none in Faringdon no sure what I think of them in hinsight should have asked to have my old discs back car is less than 5 years old?.

newnut
02-05-12, 09:39 AM
taking it to somewhere else you can expect them to inspect what it failed on as it will pop up on their system. you can find all your cars (or bikes) MOT history on the .gov site, including minors. useful when looking to buy a motor as well.

Hazel-nut
02-05-12, 12:27 PM
i used to have a mechanic that the whole family used and was quite good for MOTs and services but when he took 4 attempts to fix an oil leak and then broke the electrics in my car by wiring up a cd player wrong i decided to not go to him anymore! on the look out for a good garage who wont charge me the world and wont treat me like an idiot coz im female either!

Bonnielass
02-05-12, 04:24 PM
Hazel, I went to the garage off Newtown, can't remember what its called but the chap seemed nice and didn't rip me off, was recommended by my neighbour so has a good reputation! :)

Goldie
02-05-12, 04:38 PM
Qtech in Chippenham is good - used to be in Melksham, been servicing & MOTing my cars for years. Up on bumpers farm and John is usually happy to take cash for a reduction in price ;)

BB
02-05-12, 06:19 PM
Hazel, I went to the garage off Newtown, can't remember what its called but the chap seemed nice and didn't rip me off, was recommended by my neighbour so has a good reputation! :)

Yep, I'll vouch for him too and so will a girl at work who has been going there for years. :)

BB

Kevinb
03-05-12, 04:43 PM
£50 for a fuse does seem quite cheap ladies ;D

Shop around for tyres as there are always deals, buy your own discs & pads and then get them fitted. Even a 10% saving is money back in your pocket