PDA

View Full Version : Greek dominoes

redken1
20-05-12, 03:00 AM
Who wants to play Greek dominoes? The US, the Germans, the French, the UK and just about everyone else apart from the Greeks it seems.

The Greeks have no desire to return to the polling booths again in such a short space of time because they know that all votes cast will draw a double-blank.

The slightly left of centre US and French administrations are urging Greeks to vote for the anti- austerity parties and the UK and German administrations are urging them to vote for the pro bail-out parties.

The Greek voters may be too preoccupied thanking their well-wishers to realise that whatever the outcome of the election, “The Games a bogey” anyway and the Euro is no more.

I understand why there is this unprecedented outside interferences in the domestic democratic process in Greece – to avert a repeat of the atrocities committed by a fascist state and ensure that all the citizens of Europe will live in harmony and peace. :P Or could I be wrong, and none of the aforesaid give a toss about Greece and they are more concerned about the dominoes coming tumbling down on their heads?

What I don’t understand, is why there is no debate or discussion with the aim of drafting a contingency plan to soften the blow of the inevitable collapse of the Euro.

Need not be that doomy and gloomy across Europe in the future if you listen to a nutty biker like me ;)

FJ_Biker
20-05-12, 09:26 AM
Ken I don't see the Euro going, their might be less countries in it in a few years time.

Germany, France, Holland and Luxembourg will carry on trading in Euro's no matter what happens as it saves the countries millions a year in financial transactions.

From what I read most of the Greek citizens still want the Euro, Just not the Austerity measures that have been enforced on them due to their overspending. I suspect the Greek debt will be re-structured again at some point over the next few months, or we might even see a default.

From what I read on the internet and listen to on the news it sounds like Greece will be worse off in the long run if it comes out of the Euro. Yes the currency will devalue and they will then suffer chronic inflation but the cost of borrowing will be astronomic as they will not have any way to underwrite it.

The hatred for the Euro seams very British. I often think it's down to the people who actually run this county (media barons and financial bigwigs who bankroll the political parties).

I know I am in the minority in the UK as I am a fan of the Euro. But it makes sense for all European countries to trade in one currency as it saves billions a year financial transaction charges. The way the Euro was implemented was not tidy and letting countries stray off from the monetary guidelines that were put in place was wrong.

If Greece comes out of the Euro I am not sure how much off a run there will be on the Euro as the financial institution know they cannot bleed much more money out of the system as it's all gone.

Basically what I am trying to say in a roundabout way is financial institutions are not a fan of the Euro as they loose billions a year as they cannot make money on currency transactions and currency speculation. Surely that's a good thing?

Mitch9128
20-05-12, 12:40 PM
All the countries in the euro will eventually drop out, leading to massive economic collapse in Germany, they will bring back the Deutschmark, but you will need a wheelbarrow full to buy a loaf of bread, the people will become disillusioned, needing a new leader who will end their economic blight, someone will emerge who will blame their troubles on a particular ethnic group, he will be elected, Germany will annex an eastern European country, war will be declared...repeat to fade.

Swanny
20-05-12, 05:22 PM
Good time to buy gold and silver

redken1
21-05-12, 06:46 PM
Taffy, I’m not anti-euro because I have some kind of sentimental attachment to the pound, I just can’t see how a single currency can work for a group of countries all with different economies.

Did you watch the programme, “The Great Euro Crash” on BBC 2 last week? It was a real eye opener. It pains me to say it, but I agree with former Tory Chancellor Norman Lamont. A common currency cannot work without fiscal union and fiscal union cannot work without political union.

I agree with you on the positives you highlighted. I visit Europe quite often and although it annoys me taking an exchange hit, it’s a price I’m prepared to pay. I could never support political union across Europe because it would lead to a centralised unaccountable bunch of Eurocrats ram raiding through their agenda unchallenged.

Just look how the foundations of democracy are crumbling in Greece and Italy now. >:(

Looks very much like Gordon Brown did get at least one thing right. :-/ ;D