PDA

View Full Version : one piece Vs two set

Dan505
18-05-12, 03:17 PM
right peeps i'm in the market for some leathers but want some opinions on the pro's & cons with a ful suit versus wearing seperate trousers and jacket, really looking for suggestions/recommendations that aren't that obvious.

thanks for your help, any recommendations for makes appreciated too. don't need anything track worthy just the odd bimble and monthly rideout will be it's main use.

goz1960
18-05-12, 03:21 PM
2 piece for me more versatile and there are some great deals about at the moment. And I would pick the colour carefully as I have been caught out a few time when I have changed the bike?.

Dabz
18-05-12, 03:22 PM
2 piece every time for me - easier to take the jacket off when you arrive somewhere and it's hot!

Squashed_Fly
18-05-12, 03:54 PM
1 piece leathers for 'fun' rides, textiles for when you want to take it easier.

I want to know that if I come off in leathers, there isn't just a zip holding my top and bottom halves together! That may be unfounded, but I definately have a lot more confidence, and feel safer in 1 piece. I'm sure there is a reason why racers only use 1 piece leathers, and they could do with being able to remove their jackets off the bike if it were possible...?

Dabz
18-05-12, 04:12 PM
the fact that almost all trackdays allow 2 pieces as long as they're zipped together should suggest that they're safe enough compared to 1 piece.

Mitch9128
18-05-12, 04:19 PM
2 piece every time, i've come off at 70 in a 2 piece, and it wasn't even zipped together, apart from a few broken bones... 8-)

Swanny
18-05-12, 04:28 PM
I'd have a two piece if I was buying

goz1960
18-05-12, 04:30 PM
You don't see to many racers on a day out having a bite to eat at the local pub either. I always think that you need also to use common sense, you do not see to many people on a touring bike in a one piece. Horses for courses. :-/

wiltshire builders
18-05-12, 05:18 PM
Depends on how you ride.

If you're a lady wot lunches like the nancy boys above then get a 2 piece.
If you're hardcore like me then 1 piece all the way! ;D

A 1 piece will always fit you better than a 2 piece because the zippy bit gets stretched by the weight of the leathers.
I must admit if you're in the pub or at a race meet 1 piece leathers are a pain as the sleeves knock everything over and they always start sliding down.

I rarely use my bike to go and do something. It's either track days or a week away on the continent so I wear a 1piece. If I do i wear kevlar jeans and a jacket.

Make sure you try loads on and buy the best you can afford and remember the wise words of the dalai lama "Matching paint scheme and leathers, do not a biker make"

goz1960
18-05-12, 05:28 PM
Depends on how you ride.

If you're a lady wot lunches like the nancy boys above then get a 2 piece.
If you're hardcore like me then 1 piece all the way! ;D

A 1 piece will always fit you better than a 2 piece because the zippy bit gets stretched by the weight of the leathers.
I must admit if you're in the pub or at a race meet 1 piece leathers are a pain as the sleeves knock everything over and they always start sliding down.

I rarely use my bike to go and do something. It's either track days or a week away on the continent so I wear a 1piece. If I do i wear kevlar jeans and a jacket.

Make sure you try loads on and buy the best you can afford and remember the wise words of the dalai lama "Matching paint scheme and leathers, do not a biker make"

I rarely use my bike not to do something and to be honest I think most riders have an end result to there ride and I think that a 2 piece is far more user friendly and like I said a lot would depend on what you are ridding? If Dan you do intend to do track days then you would probably be better of looking at a one piece in the end it is your choice and your money.

Dan505
18-05-12, 05:41 PM
not interested in track riding as i don't possess the talent or patience to do it.

so safety wise they're both on an equal par?

any one got any suggestions for makes? who's good/bad?

Mitch9128
18-05-12, 06:31 PM
Some people like them, some people don't, but i've always got on with the M&S of the biking world Hein Gericke. Bought a 2 piece Pro Sport from Brizzle a couple of months back, was £540 and they threw in a pair of Sartso jeans for free. Can't fault them, fit great, full length zip for those that worry.

goz1960
18-05-12, 06:35 PM
Always found RST good value for money and a good price if you shop around.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CKYB EBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rst-moto.com%2F&ei=6Ye2T-mpG8rL8QPu9MWiCg&usg=AFQjCNGuOYVqSpbv5OO2QUXUeKw0K jVDvA

Scotty
18-05-12, 07:06 PM
I'm sure there is a reason why racers only use 1 piece leathers...........
There is a reason, it's called the regulations, only one-piece leathers are allowed for racing, a two-piece would be failed at scrutineering...

I've got both one- and two-piece, and choose the two-piece all the time for road riding. The level of protection isn't much less and it's just more versatile and easier than walking around with the top half of a one-piece folded down and the sleeves knocking drinks over and the like... ::) ::)

For relatively moderate budget stuff the Hein Gericke and RST kit is pretty good. I don't know what's still in The Shop Formerly Known As George White but it may be worth having a sniff round in there. If you find something that you like the look of, ensure it fits comfortably first, should be pretty snug - if leathers are loose they won't work properly in a crash, you can get road burn through them on impact and the armour won't stay in place. Don't go for a size that will allow you to get five T-shirts and your WB hoody underneath it, ideally you shouldn't get much more than a thin sweatshirt beneath them. Perforations - great when it's hot, bloody cold when it's not - like pretty much all of this year so far! >:( Check out the materials and workmanship - leather should be thick but supple - if it's thin and soft you'll probably need to bin them after a crash. Most of the named brands are reasonably well made, beware of anything with an unfamiliar name that's dirt cheap...

Don't get sucked into buying something just because it's cheap - there are far too many people about with atrociously badly fitting leathers that could surely only have been bought because of the price... Aside from the sartorial affront, they won't work properly when you need them to if they don't fit! :(

4L1Stroker
18-05-12, 08:48 PM
I've got 2 piece spyke leathers which use a seriously butch zip so i feel perfectly safe in them, not cheap when i bought them but they are a very good fit and have lasted really well. As with all safety kit buy the best you can afford and make sure it fits well.

Squashed_Fly
18-05-12, 08:54 PM
I did say it was probably unfounded. But just personally I feel safer in 1 piece. As someone else said, it's your money. If you know some people with both, see if you can try both and see what feels better

Senna(Dan)
18-05-12, 09:03 PM
Dan,
I have got a set of Hein Gericke leathers here mate, they are a decent set and are rarely used because they are a little tight around the gut. Should fit you perfect.
http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1331723171

Dan505
18-05-12, 09:14 PM
I'll text you Dan [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks for advice Scotty, informative as always and appreciate the time it took to post ;)

wiltshire builders
18-05-12, 09:32 PM
Dan,
I have got a set of Hein Gericke leathers here mate, they are a decent set and are rarely used because they are a little tight around the gut. Should fit you perfect.
http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1331723171
I had a big off in a set of these and they stood up pretty well. The 'hump' got ripped off but it was a zip on one anyway. Very strong.

Scotty
18-05-12, 11:17 PM
What size are you Dan? I still have one of my old one-piece suits for sale, going cheaply as advertised here (can't do a proper url link on the phone):
http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1321895397

Dan505
19-05-12, 11:33 AM
No idea size wise? :-/ i'm 34 waist and medium up top otherwise aint got a frigging clue? :D

wiltshire builders
19-05-12, 11:49 AM
No idea size wise? :-/ i'm 34 waist and medium up top otherwise aint got a frigging clue? :D
If you don't have a tailors tape use a piece of string. Run it around your chest, under your arms and mark where it meets. Lay it out next to a tape measure.
For some reason modern leathers seem to cater for narrow shouldered fat b'stards these days.
I struggle to get the top and bottom to both fit.

Dan505
19-05-12, 11:59 AM
So the size relates to chest then? Are they marked for waist size too? Cannot remember from the last time i looked at GWs?

wiltshire builders
19-05-12, 12:49 PM
Only 2 piece are chest and waist, Italian and French suits are completely different to uk and us and now for the really great bit......they all differ in their interpretation of sizing anyway!
The only way to know is to try it on. Like Scotty said not only do badly fitted leathers look stupid but they wont perform right either.
You can normally tell someone who thinks they got a bargain as they're strutting around in a BKS race suit with the crotch down to their knees.
Get over to Bristol. There's Hein Gericke, Riders and Fowlers so you'll have loads to try on.

Squashed_Fly
19-05-12, 01:26 PM
Ironically, only the bks suit fitted me as I'm so short! I must have tried on 10 or more sets to find some where the sliders weren't round my shins!

Jon_W
23-05-12, 07:57 AM
2 piece for road use, 1 piece for track.

camera.op76
23-05-12, 09:51 AM
both for me too, though I find the 1pc more comfortable, I went for a couple of sizes bigger, and can quite comfortably wear normal clothes underneath.. Though, when Im stood upright you can get a 'mangina'. But then again comfy when you're riding.

supermancss
24-05-12, 11:33 PM
i had just opted for a 2 piece set. Got it from George whites, or whatever the new name was. size 46 Alpinestars monza 2 piece for £400 I was quite chuffed.

Then my motorbike gearbox went PLONK 4 days later. After spending a fortune on kit and new MOT.

SupeRDel
27-05-12, 08:26 AM
When its hot.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/superdel/P2240001.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/superdel/phpEG5ePQPM.jpg

Swanny
27-05-12, 12:23 PM
Rather them than me :)

voodoo
27-05-12, 08:43 PM
Saw someone riding a Ninja today with the obviously safe vest/shorts/no gloves combo :o

Swanny
27-05-12, 08:52 PM
I prefer to keep my skin rather than maybe look cool to some people that I don't even know and who have no idea how uncool it is to ride around like that :)
A chap went past the H&C Wednesday night just wearing a wife beater shirt and jeans 8-)
;D

Stewboy
28-05-12, 06:01 AM
Saw someone riding a Ninja today with the obviously safe vest/shorts/no gloves combo :o Seen two bikers riding like that over the weekend http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10404/screwy.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Geordie Stu
28-05-12, 07:45 AM
I have both a 1 piece & a 2 piece. Prefer the 2 piece as you can take the jacket off if a little warm. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

wiltshire builders
28-05-12, 11:05 PM
I have both a 1 piece & a 2 piece. Prefer the 2 piece as you can take the jacket off if a little warm. [smiley=thumbup.gif]
I went to Bath on Sunday and did the same. Lugging a leather jacket around was a right pain in the ass. I have on occasions taken shorts and flip flops with me and locked my 1 Piece to the bike with a cycle lock.

Jon_W
29-05-12, 03:41 PM
Saw someone riding a Ninja today with the obviously safe vest/shorts/no gloves combo :o

That's usually R1 attire....... ;D

Senna(Dan)
29-05-12, 04:24 PM
I saw a guy an a Tuono in similar attire. His legs must have been very warm judging by the large red patch on his leg!
I don't think that was sunburn :D :D

Loops
29-05-12, 05:45 PM

Is this a Ninja thing? I've seen two recently, one with shorts and the other in a t-shirt (who then proceeded to roar off at speed between two lines of stationary traffic.....I winced)

wiltshire builders
29-05-12, 06:54 PM
STOP CALLING IT A NINJA! THERE'S NO SUCH BIKE!

Senna(Dan)
29-05-12, 07:45 PM
I beg to differ mr builder!
Please check this page on the Kawasaki website
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk
You will find the ZX6, ZX6R & ZX10R are all preceded by the word NINJA!

Mitch9128
29-05-12, 07:45 PM
Maybe it was a small far eastern man, dressed in black, and not ANY Kawasaki voodoo is referring to? Speaking of which, i see the latest ZX6r has Ninja on the tank, not Kwak?

wiltshire builders
29-05-12, 08:00 PM
And that makes them the same bike does it? If I said to you that I ride a Kawasaki ninja would you know what bike it was? The 'Ninja' bit just denotes that it's a sportsbike. I ride a zx10r not a bloody 'ninja' Like I said there is no such bike as a Kawasaki Ninja.

Swanny
29-05-12, 08:08 PM
I saw some Ninjas in Bath today.
Well they looked like Ninjas, dressed all in black and only their eyes visible
http://www.elyninjas.co.uk/mini-ninja2.jpg

didn't notice any swords though :-/

wiltshire builders
29-05-12, 08:12 PM
Maybe it was a small far eastern man, dressed in black, and not ANY Kawasaki voodoo is referring to? Speaking of which, i see the latest ZX6r has Ninja on the tank, not Kwak?
They did that with the zx7s too

Senna(Dan)
29-05-12, 08:15 PM
And that makes them the same bike does it? If I said to you that I ride a Kawasaki ninja would you know what bike it was? The 'Ninja' bit just denotes that it's a sportsbike. I ride a zx10r not a bloody 'ninja' Like I said there is no such bike as a Kawasaki Ninja.
On that mentality is there no such bike as a Honda Fireblade or Suzuki GSXR?

wiltshire builders
29-05-12, 08:27 PM
On that mentality is there no such bike as a Honda Fireblade or Suzuki GSXR?
A Honda fireblade is a 1000cc sports bike, no ifs or buts. The GSXRs 600 and 750 are the same bike with a different engine. Kawasaki currently make 4 bikes that carry a ninja badge ranging from a 250 upto a 1ltr. Not exactly the same thing is it?

Loops
29-05-12, 10:22 PM
STOP CALLING IT A NINJA! THERE'S NO SUCH BIKE!

The ones I saw were two different types of Kawak Ninja - but I don't know which ones so they will have to be covered by the catch-all name :P

voodoo
29-05-12, 10:36 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/12962/delete.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/) twas a zx6r ;D

wiltshire builders
29-05-12, 10:41 PM

Why so formal? You can call me Wiltshire ;D

Dan505
03-06-12, 11:33 PM
with regards to fit should the jacket be tight on the arms?
went to the shop formally known as GW and tried a load on and most of the jackets were really loose on the arms and i could rotate the sleeves on them, guess that would be bad?

so should the jacket be almost to tight to move? also guessing being leather it would get softer and stretch over time?

Swanny
04-06-12, 12:28 AM
Yea I think the idea is to keep the protection armour where it's supposed to be

Dan505
05-06-12, 06:31 PM
A Honda fireblade is a 1000cc

Didn't they do a 900cc blade in the mid 90's? :-/

Mitch9128
05-06-12, 07:41 PM
A Honda fireblade is a 1000cc

Didn't they do a 900cc blade in the mid 90's? :-/

Mines 929cc, there was a 918 before and a 954 after, WB has a bee in his bonnet. I wouldn't mind but he's been away riding his ninja all weekend in the IOM!

Dan505
05-06-12, 09:25 PM
Not trying to restart the grief, just thought there was more than a 1000 version. :)

Don't let him hear you call it a ninja! ::)

Senna(Dan)
06-06-12, 03:11 AM
There are several versions of the blade:
900, 919, 929, 954 and of course the 1000.
Guess I can't call my bikes a diversion or f4 anymore because they don't exist :D :D

Dan505
06-06-12, 11:42 AM
don't exist? what you done to them???

Dan505
06-06-12, 12:31 PM
back on topic,

thanks for the input peeps, two piece purchased and just needs bedding in :D

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150418852852799.364647.704192798&type=3

Senna(Dan)
06-06-12, 02:57 PM
What is with that rather gay pose Dan?!?
Nice looking set of leathers though.

Dan505
06-06-12, 09:25 PM
Thats how you posed me bud, not sure why you wanted the nude pics tho?

I was messing around, stretching them out by dancing round and the missus snapped the pic :D

Senna(Dan)
07-06-12, 11:42 AM
Get some leather feed mate, will make it quicker to become more supple.
The nude pics? They weren't on there anywhere :D

Dan505
07-06-12, 03:30 PM
Been feeding them by leaving them on the grass over night

Swanny
07-06-12, 04:28 PM
The slugs with eat them if you do that :o