PDA

View Full Version : Re: Republicans

redken1
05-06-12, 01:22 AM
show sum respect Col Shhhh the old duke........

Mitch9128
05-06-12, 09:01 AM
Funny how when strikes loom, we can't afford it, it will cost the country billions...blah blah blah. Yet we can afford bank holidays willy nilly for the toffs to lord it over us?

Col
05-06-12, 12:22 PM
::) hit wrong button

Anyways point was that those who bleat on about having a republic are still having time off or enjoying in some way the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty and probably not at work today ;D

The last attempt at a republic here we ended up with that well known laughter maker and all round funster :D Olli Cromwell...he was soon told to move on and the Monarchy was restored ;D ;D ;D

gawd help us if it ever happens again---think on !!! we could have the likes of those weasels Livingstone, Bliar, Cambell, Camoron, bloody Prescott etc etc swanning around at Buck Palace ....nightmare :P

cornishbob
05-06-12, 01:54 PM
a clear demonstration of someone not having any idea of what a republic would mean

Mitch9128
05-06-12, 02:25 PM
The French topped all their toffs years ago, their palaces are still full of tourists, off with Liz's head.

Swanny
05-06-12, 03:05 PM
The royal family are reptilians [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mitch9128
05-06-12, 03:09 PM
The royal family are reptilians [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Funny, my mate Dave says that too...

Swanny
05-06-12, 03:39 PM
Must be true then :)
But even if they aren't reptiles they are bloody Germans

redken1
05-06-12, 04:09 PM
I’m sure The Queen’s subjects across her Kingdom are very proud of her amazing performance over the past few days.

It’s as if she was born to do nothing else. :P ;)

Mitch9128
05-06-12, 04:12 PM
It's the Royal families overriding greatest achievement, they have managed to foist Stockholm syndrome on the whole nation for generation after generation after generation.

Col
05-06-12, 04:25 PM
a clear demonstration of someone not having any idea of what a republic would mean

;D ;D it would mean utter mediocrity matey

I can't be bothered to debate the point only to wonder why so many republicans hang around in a Kingdom supporting it by their work and tax...... why are they here :o :-?

Let's face it they ain't too riotous in their adversity to the monarchy...had to laugh as their best hope for change being Bliar has just been on the tv congratulating Her Majesty ;D ;D

Swanny
06-06-12, 01:12 AM
Interesting article here about the royal family

http://worldtruth.tv/the-royal-trillions-2/

redken1
06-06-12, 06:57 PM
I’ve never really understood why supporters of Republicanism are demonized by some quarters in this country.

Republic: “A state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected president rather than a monarch.” Publicus‘ of the people, public’.

I get fed up with people who accuse me of being an anti-royalist. I believe there is a distinct difference between being a pro-democrat and an anti-royalist.

As a staunch egalitarian and democrat, how could I possibly support an unelected monarchy?

Col, I accept that in light of recent events such as the expenses scandal, politicians are not held in high esteem. Ironically, such fiascos have contributed to the Queen’s rise in popularity. Unlike the Queen however, if we are not happy with our elected representatives the democratic mechanisms exist to enable us to remove them.

cornishbob
06-06-12, 07:05 PM
waste of breath.
the man(?) wont,or more likely cant,debate it.
a clear case of arguement lost.

Col
07-06-12, 12:46 PM
Debate the point ---happy to...the '?' matey your point being ?

No argument here to lose as the post was a casual observation that even those who would probably prefer to be in a republic ,or more likely aren't bothered, still took time off and might have joined in on something connected to the Diamond Jubilee and those who have posted some mention reptiles and Germans so what ::) Wellington needed Germans to win at Waterloo and I ,for one, don't want more voting for more layers of waffling overpaid politicos as we have enough of them as it is---in fact the only offerings for the role of a President would be from the self serving ranks of the current political parties such as the London mayor position...as I've already said 'nightmare'

Ken bear in mind a democracy follows the wishes of the majority thereby overriding the wishes of the minority therefore it is not egaliterian as such and the form a Republic takes is determined by the constitution it lays down but who is to decide what is contained within this constitution ? Guess what we have here is a monarchial democracy d'ya reckon Ken ?

Anyway seems most of us are quite happy with the status quo even the near 60% who don't bother voting ;D...that's somat else to talk about one day 8-)

redken1
07-06-12, 05:52 PM
Debate the point ---happy to...the '?' matey your point being ?

No argument here to lose as the post was a casual observation that even those who would probably prefer to be in a republic ,or more likely aren't bothered, still took time off and might have joined in on something connected to the Diamond Jubilee and those who have posted some mention reptiles and Germans so what ::) Wellington needed Germans to win at Waterloo and I ,for one, don't want more voting for more layers of waffling overpaid politicos as we have enough of them as it is---in fact the only offerings for the role of a President would be from the self serving ranks of the current political parties such as the London mayor position...as I've already said 'nightmare'

Ken bear in mind a democracy follows the wishes of the majority thereby overriding the wishes of the minority therefore it is not egaliterian as such and the form a Republic takes is determined by the constitution it lays down but who is to decide what is contained within this constitution ? Guess what we have here is a monarchial democracy d'ya reckon Ken ?

Anyway seems most of us are quite happy with the status quo even the near 60% who don't bother voting ;D...that's somat else to talk about one day 8-)

Col, it wasn’t me who said the argument against Republicanism was lost, on the contrary, I agree with you that the majority of the UK still supports the monarchy – that is the main reason I offered up my views (in an non-antagonistic way I hope) because we can only change opinions on any issue through sensible debate.

I find myself agreeing with you again – a first-past-the-post electoral system will always ride roughshod over the minority. I don’t have the answer, but only some kind of PR electoral system, which is truly representative of the whole electorate, could deliver an egalitarian society.

I’ll meet you half way on your other point – will my acceptance that we live in a monarchical semi-democracy suffice? ;) :P

Your casual observation in your original post is not entirely correct – as a principled republican I did not partake in any of the celebrations and was forced to take an unpaid day of work against my wishes. >:(

If I had had the pleasure of bumping into you last weekend I would have still shared a pint with you as long as I didn’t have to raise my glass to the Queen. ;) ;D

Col
07-06-12, 08:36 PM
;D Ken always a pleasure to have a pint and natter with you

Didn't realise many places actually closed on the Tuesday not that I went far- so nobody was given the choice at your place whether to work or not- it was a company decision to stay closed ?

I was told the extra Bank Hol was a voluntary thing and you took it off with no pay if the employer agreed so I didn't take it off as such but I did :D ..reason being that I normally have Sunday/Mondays off which means I get a day for the lost normal day off when there is a Monday Bank Holiday so I had Tuesday off if ya follow ;D
[ even though they owe me 175 days unpaid work time :o --it happens if can't fit holidays/time off in over the years ]

A 'monarchical semi-democracy' with a smattering of republicanism sounds fine Ken ;D ;D ;D 8-)

redken1
07-06-12, 08:49 PM
I'm self-employed Col. The contractor I'm working for at the moment closed the site - nevermind had a great ride with Rosie and a crowd of WBs on Monday. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ain't seen you at the H&C lately. PM me next time you are going and I'll try and make it. 8-)