PDA

View Full Version : Falklands War ll?

redken1
05-07-12, 07:38 PM
A fifth of the armed forces personnel to go, the biggest cut in its history.

The Argentine invasion of the Falklands in 1982 had clearly been precipitated by PM Thatcher’s defence review of the previous year, phasing out the navy's "out-of-area" capability and withdrawing HMS Endurance, the South Atlantic patrol vessel.

There has certainly been a lot of sabre-rattling in Argentina of late, but despite the huge cuts I can’t see a Falklands 2.

One thing is for sure, the UK will have to curtail military operations around the globe – we will no longer have the capability to continue our role as world policeman.

I really feel for the ordinary members of the armed forces who are going to lose their jobs. :(

Swanny
05-07-12, 09:17 PM
It doesn't matter, we are part of America so they will look after us ;D

Mitch9128
05-07-12, 09:25 PM
I love and hate the endless Falkland arguement.

I hate it because it's 'king tedious, and I love it because, for once, britain is actually completely and utterly morally (as well as historically and politically) in the right. Which makes a change!

Swanny
05-07-12, 09:25 PM
Don't worry it looks like the police are getting weapon upgrades, so they can fight now instead

The British police will be for the first time armed with the same advanced weapons as British soldiers use in conflict zones in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Ministry of Defense has put the contracts for 30,000 modern assault rifles out to tender to major arms producers around the world to supply the “civilian police” with the state-of-the-art weaponry by 2014 under the pretext of fighting terrorists and criminal gangs.

Media reports said the police chiefs are already considering arming their officers with the Canadian-made C8 SFW carbine, the same assault rifle the Special Air Service uses in its high-profile operations.

Some of the features the police want to ensure the new rifles have are being adaptable to use of grenade launchers, silencers and different sights.

There are fears that bringing the battlefield weapons to the streets of London and other cities across Britain could be a prelude to even deeper suppression of protest movements after tackling of demonstrations over the past two years sparked condemnations from human rights groups.

http://previous.presstv.ir/photo/20120702/rasouli_amir20120702215309717.JPG

DC
05-07-12, 09:37 PM
Isnt it strange how the MOD will now be responsible for arming the constabulary??? ::)

Swanny
05-07-12, 10:20 PM
They Have been militarising the police for a while now.
They are no longer the friendly boys in blue, they are now the aggressive boys in black.

Col
05-07-12, 11:18 PM
MOD = out of control money pit and has been for years ..£billions wasted but nobody says anything :-?

Gawd Plod going to be let loose with assault guns ;D ;D ........where has it all gone wrong ??? :-[

Dan505
06-07-12, 10:20 AM
[quote author=Swanny link=1341513482/3#3 date=1341519926]Canadian-made C8 SFW carbine, the same assault rifle the Special Air Service uses in its high-profile operations.

quote]
They use the Diemaco C7 under licence from Colt ;)

arming the police will just make the lawless pack more and bigger weapons

Maz
09-07-12, 09:17 PM
Just to tag onto this my cuz says this issue is one of the most talked bout senarios in the army (he is in themilitary). When he got back from Afghan this is what was talkd about.

Am sure after the two tours of Afghan (my cuz) am sure I speak for most when I say hopefully this wont happen!

With the decrease in armed personall organisation is the key. Many of times my cuz has said to me that he is bored because there isnt much for the lads to do! He transfered to another unit jist to do something!