PDA

View Full Version : Auto electrician needed/wanted

silly_simon
17-07-12, 08:45 PM
My sons Ford fiesta needs a new Horn fitted and being 19 yrs old he decided he wanted a pair of 12v Snail type Air horns But didn't factor in the fact they need wiring in ::)

I am not electrically minded at all so I would appreciate any help in doing this for him as evedently they need to be wired through a relay etc :o :o

Mitch9128
17-07-12, 08:50 PM
Not hijacking, but my rear parking sensors have self destructed, so anyone taking Simons offer, i have work to punt their way.

Conehead
17-07-12, 08:52 PM
just checked google and it says it can be wired straight to the existing wiring.

Conehead
17-07-12, 09:20 PM
mitch, have you checked the fuses?

Mitch9128
18-07-12, 06:56 AM
mitch, have you checked the fuses?

The wiring between the sensors is all shot, either they need replacing as a loom or the wring re-making. I've had to take out the fuse or it's beeping constantly.

Dan505
18-07-12, 10:11 AM
Simon, couple of spade connectors and you should be able to wire these in, in replacement of the existing horn. trace the wires from the old horn until the first connector and unplug, bolt new horn in and plug into same connector, job done :)

Mitch, you checked the sensors are clean?

Snowy
18-07-12, 10:22 AM
Simon, what's the current draw of the new horns - it will say on the packet they came in? You need to determine if the current wiring will be adequate for the amount of amps its going to draw and same goes for the fuse rating. I fitted a relay for mine to power them direct from the battery as the twin air horns I have pull 16 amps which is above the rating for the OEM wiring.

wiltshire builders
18-07-12, 12:10 PM
I need an auto electrician too.
My Vito headlights are doing weird things and the dash lights stay on after i've stopped.

Come back Transit, all is forgiven!

Dan505
18-07-12, 12:36 PM
My Vito headlights are doing weird things and the dash lights stay on after i've stopped.

you sure it's not one of those 'auto off' systems that provide back light whilst your stopping/getting out and locking up?

wiltshire builders
18-07-12, 01:16 PM

you sure it's not one of those 'auto off' systems that provide back light whilst your stopping/getting out and locking up?
Nah, there's some kind of wiring problem. It sometimes beeps as though i've left the lights on too.
All the bulbs are fine yet only main beam works on both sides and dipped and side lights work on one side.

Dan505
18-07-12, 03:10 PM
check the switch contacts for the parking light(if there is one), could be a possible shorting out of the wires

silly_simon
18-07-12, 03:22 PM
Simon, what's the current draw of the new horns - it will say on the packet they came in? You need to determine if the current wiring will be adequate for the amount of amps its going to draw and same goes for the fuse rating. I fitted a relay for mine to power them direct from the battery as the twin air horns I have pull 16 amps which is above the rating for the OEM wiring.

Cheers Graham, hadn't given the power draw a thought :-[ I will have to check :)

Dan Tried that mate but nowt, I think they both have to be wired in parrallel but as I say I'm no expert when it comes to electrics.

BTW Can I test the horns anyway off the car to make sure they work ? There are two connections per horn but neither say + or - :o :o

Jon_W
18-07-12, 03:27 PM
Generally if they are not marked it dosen't make any difference.

I'd not get too worried by power ratings. As long as they are ball park the horn is only on for a second at the most.

Snowy
18-07-12, 05:30 PM
Generally if they are not marked it dosen't make any difference.

I'd not get too worried by power ratings. As long as they are ball park the horn is only on for a second at the most.

Most likely the horn will sound like a damp squib or blow the fuse. On mine, it shuts the circuit down and the horn won't work.

Dan505
18-07-12, 08:07 PM
Wiring in parallel only allows each horn to operate independently. If it didn't work earlier maybe old horn is ok and has another fault. Check the fuse and all other connections are not loose/damaged.