PDA

View Full Version : Wiggins - what a god...

Mark_Able
19-07-12, 09:26 PM
Not you Jon, but Bradley Wiggins. If he and his team get him to the line first on sunday, it'll be an awesome achievement. The Tour has to be the greatest feat of physical endurance in the world. Just to compete and finish is amazing. But to compete and win, especially when we've never had a British winner, will be out of this world! I don't care what happens in the Olympics, as long as Wiggins wins this... :)

BB
19-07-12, 10:29 PM
Agreed! 8-)

BB

Jon_W
20-07-12, 07:56 AM
;D

I read the thread title..... and couldn't agree more!!!!!! :D

But... good luck Bradley.... will be great to have a british winner.

wiltshire builders
20-07-12, 01:55 PM
Barring anything stupid happening, it's in the bag. This years tour was made for him. (The Tour is actually won on the Saturday, but I get your point ;) )

Geordie Stu
20-07-12, 03:51 PM
BBC Sports personality of the year. 8-)

BB
20-07-12, 07:34 PM

Has to be 8-)

BB

Mark_Able
20-07-12, 08:53 PM

Has to be 8-)

BB

He'll be getting my vote... ;)

Ade
21-07-12, 10:24 AM
.. and knighthood eventually .... even Sir Chris Hoy has said that a Wiggins Le Tour win will be the greatest sporting achievement of all time by any British sportsman.

.... go Wiggins in today's Time Trial stage ..

..... and WOW .. Mark Cavendish's sprint finish yesterday was just amazing .. especially the zoomed in helicopter footage .. his closing speed was just staggering. !! 8-)

wiltshire builders
21-07-12, 10:55 AM
Team Sky has been amazing.
I haven't seen a footsoldier like Chris froome since Big George was riding with Armstrong.
They even had the naturally selfish sprinter running around on domestic duties.

I can't see it staying this way for long though. The lure of a yellow Jersey and even a tour win will be too strong for an all rounder like Froome.

pluggedinpete
21-07-12, 11:01 AM
Sadly i reckon that SPOTY might go to anybody who wins a bit of fake gold at the olympics but even if Wiggo does fall off or sommat he still deserves the SPOTY for even being as high as he has been!

The TDF is the hardest physical sport there is, and its participants amongst the hardest athletes there are. Andre Greipel fell off, dislocated his shoulder, put it back in himself (badly, so he had to do it agian!) then got back on his bike and came second in that stage! AND he's still in the race. Absolutely incredible!

wiltshire builders
21-07-12, 11:15 AM
Sadly i reckon that SPOTY might go to anybody who wins a bit of fake gold at the olympics

Yeah, it should be called "Name the last sports personallity that you read about in the paper" award. ;D

Snowy
21-07-12, 11:29 AM
I agree with all the above....Wiggin's and the SKY team is really doing well. The only downside is the continuing effect the doping scandals keep having on the tour as it devalues those who keep clean. Same in athletics mind.....

pluggedinpete
21-07-12, 01:08 PM
Pretty sure that doping happens a lot in other sports, its just that the focus tends to be on cyclists.... Remember Rio Ferdinand and his "forgotten" dope test. A cyclist would never have gotten away with that. Looking at How Rafa Nadal looked at the age of eighteen, there has to be a hint of HGH involved.

Last Train
21-07-12, 02:11 PM
I watched a 'Greatest Olympic Moments' programme the other night.

Florence Griffith-Joyner or Flo-jo as she was known, was frightening.

Though she never failed a drugs test.

Col
21-07-12, 02:31 PM
very long finger nails tho' ;D

Mark_Able
21-07-12, 09:15 PM
I watched a 'Greatest Olympic Moments' programme the other night.

Florence Griffith-Joyner or Flo-jo as she was known, was frightening.

Though she never failed a drugs test.

And didn't live long either. Died at 50 of a heart condition. Makes you wonder how that came about... :-? :(

@bj
22-07-12, 02:06 PM
And didn't live long either. Died at 50 of a heart condition. Makes you wonder how that came about... :-? :(
Makes you wonder where you get your info... :-?

Died at 38 of epilepsy.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flo_Jo

Mark_Able
24-07-12, 08:32 PM
Makes you wonder where you get your info... :-?

Died at 38 of epilepsy.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flo_Jo

I stand corrected. I'm sure that's what they said on the Greatest Olympic Moments programme. My mistake... :-[