PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Dan505
26-07-12, 08:05 PM
i know we all have to go thru it but isn't insurance renewal a major pain in the arse.

mine came thru today and has gone up £3, nothing drastic i know but defeats the point of earning NCB, 2 mins on the phone to Bennetts to say i wouldn't renew due to the increase and they offered it £3 cheaper then currently paying :o why can't they just offer it cheaper in the first place? :-? baffles me why they constantly try their luck :-X

Nikki
26-07-12, 08:30 PM
i know we all have to go thru it but isn't insurance renewal a major pain in the arse.

mine came thru today and has gone up £3, nothing drastic i know but defeats the point of earning NCB, 2 mins on the phone to Bennetts to say i wouldn't renew due to the increase and they offered it £3 cheaper then currently paying :o why can't they just offer it cheaper in the first place? :-? baffles me why they constantly try their luck :-X

Why - because some people do just renew without seeing what the competition will charge. Me I always try Compare the Market etc to see the cheapest before renewing. It generally saves me a lot of money.

Dan505
26-07-12, 08:35 PM
its crazy isn't it the way some people do it

cerruti
26-07-12, 08:59 PM
We had this recently with our house insurance. We had been with Direct Line for years, and never checked it, just auto-renewed every year.

This year when the auto-renewal notice came through I noticed it had gone up about £100 so I phoned them to query it and threatened to leave. They then offered me £150 off to stay with them.

I went to compare the meerkat and found identical cover with Halifax but so much cheaper - over £500 cheaper!

Needless to say Im now the proud owner of a cuddly little meerkat and over £500 in pocket ;D

Last Train
26-07-12, 09:03 PM
Mine's due,

last year I paid £150

renewal £355 ::)

after a shop about £92

:)

Ducatista
26-07-12, 09:40 PM
why can't they just offer it cheaper in the first place?

Because the fact is that 85% of people won't phone up and will just pay.
I find it astounding because I've managed to save thousands off my mortgage bill by doing a few hours work and even though the hourly rate is astounding there are so many people that just can't be bothered.

I find it astounding but then I'm tighter than two coats of paint :)

Goldie
26-07-12, 10:30 PM
Don't talk to me about insurance companies.. AGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
Always a proper pain in the arse!

voodoo
26-07-12, 11:01 PM
I had one recently when I searched around and got a cheaper quote on a comparison site but it was the same company that I was already with :-?

House
27-07-12, 12:18 AM
Bennets wanted £150 to change my bike over to a new one for the remaining 4 months once, after paying £150 to start with. Hastings recently came out cheapest for me but that didn't include the "set up" charge of £12. I fear a lot of insurance companies will jump on that one soon enough just as they all did with the admin fees for change of address etc.

In short, they're all robbing funkers who are just out to sting you for as much as they can but then we all know that.

Mitch9128
27-07-12, 07:43 AM
It 'was' costing us £110 to fc insure both cars, with Bluefin. Just shopped around at renewals and it's now £50 fc for both with Admiral, same underwriter...go figure?!
Also got funked over with the bike, after a non-fault accident at the end of last year, my insurance has doubled, £180 fc, to £360 fc, they will load your premium at every chance.

Goldie
27-07-12, 02:11 PM
Oh, I know, after being burgled last month and having my car nicked I'm really looking forward to my house and car insurance renewal dates :'( wucking fankers.

Wes
27-07-12, 06:25 PM
I had one recently when I searched around and got a cheaper quote on a comparison site but it was the same company that I was already with :-?
I had the same, it was cheaper online because it knocks off the admin charge, when they phoned to ask about the renewal they sent out, i quoted the online price and i got it for that :)

redken1
27-07-12, 08:18 PM
I anticipate hearing the echo from the groans of the stylus is stuck on the same old vinyl following this post.

Nevertheless, here goes; in the pursuit of profits there are many companies and businesses from all sectors resorting to sales ploys and scams, which know no moral or sometimes legal bounds. Some sales pitches are at best misleading and at worst down right lies.

Hacking into a murdered child’s phone, interest rate fixing, miss-selling million’s of payment protection plans to name but a few. All statements of facts.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that as a matter of course your loyalty to a particular company is valued and you will be rewarded accordingly. For example, despite the fact that you have been with the same credit card (phone, TV, etc) provider for twenty years they will still offer a better deal to a new customer.

As has already been stated on here, Insurance companies know only too well that a significant percentage of their existing customers will not challenge their renewal quote and Hey Presto! Big bucks for the greedy profiteers.

Think of it as a game of brag. I call it the apathy card which is the one the company is holding and they are usually bluffing with the first quote, in the hope you will throw your hand in and they take the pot.

Always ask to see their hand.