PDA

View Full Version : Olympic hopes

Snowy
01-08-12, 07:17 AM
So that those who are not interested in, don't see the relevance or don't agree with the politics of the Olympic Games can leave the rest of us to enjoy it, I thought I would start a new thread. If you have no interest or don't agree with the Olympics then this is your opportunity to ignore it.

So, to start things off, I'm hoping that Wiggin's does well in the time trial today, the mens 8's and woman's double do well in the rowing and the two men in the final of the 200m Breaststroke this evening can match their excellent qualification swims yesterday.

C'mon Team GB!

Jon_W
01-08-12, 07:44 AM
I'm afraid the mens eight is up against it. The yanks are very strong.... a medal in that event would be an achievement. Good luk to the wommens pair.... they are a real bolt from the blue. It's the lightweight double to watch... they have the best chance I think.

Snowy
01-08-12, 07:51 AM
I agree its going to be tough on the 8's but they rowed well last time out to qualify and the crowd will give them a huge lift.

Mitch9128
01-08-12, 08:29 AM
What about the Wimmins football, they haven't conceded a goal yet! Jolly hockey sticks are looking strong too.

Snowy
01-08-12, 09:01 AM
There's lots of teams and individuals slowly moving up to the plate - yeah, the woman's football team is doing great as the only team not to have conceded a goal and they have won all three matches including beating the Brazilians who are the favourites.

We're just coming up to some of our strongest events and we still have the velodrome to start so hopefully we will have some golds by the close of play tonight to satisfy the medal table statisticians. Should get everyone (well, almost everyone) buzzing and cheering the team on.

Geordie Stu
01-08-12, 09:21 AM
Seems to me that all our medal hopefuls have not performed to there best & not yet won Gold

On the plus unexpected winners Men Gynastics, womens cycling & potential for mens 200 mtrs Breast stroke qualified 1st & 3rd fastest. Both lads train at Bath ;D

Dan505
01-08-12, 10:18 AM
i'm holding on for the pole vault, i'm not entire sure but its one of my favourites to watch, also like the long or triple jump :)

everything's crossed for a good set of wins from the Brits ;D

DaytonaDog
01-08-12, 12:08 PM
First Gold for Team GB. Amazing effort by Heather Standing and Helen Glover. Done themselves and the country proud. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Geordie Stu
01-08-12, 12:11 PM
Well done girls [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Mitch9128
01-08-12, 12:47 PM
i'm holding on for the pole vault, i'm not entire sure but its one of my favourites to watch, also like the long or triple jump :)

everything's crossed for a good set of wins from the Brits ;D

Alison Stokke, amazing pole vaulter, Google her :D

Dan505
01-08-12, 01:01 PM

:-/ err may be when i'm not at work....just in case ;D

Mitch9128
01-08-12, 01:14 PM

:-/ err may be when i'm not at work....just in case ;D

LOL she doesn't vault those kind of poles! Least after 4 hours of frantic Googling, i can find no evidence of it!

Jon_W
01-08-12, 01:25 PM
Bronze for the eight. Good result!

But good one ladies!!!!!!! 8-)

Swanny
01-08-12, 03:02 PM
Gold is the only medal worth winning, anything else is a fail :)
Like coming second in a race, second is first of the losers.

Dan505
01-08-12, 03:10 PM
making it into the race in the first place is still an acheivement ;)

Well done GB! keep it :)

Swanny
01-08-12, 03:18 PM
I bet the athletes don't think coming second is much of an achievement after spending their lives training for the olympics ;)

Snowy
01-08-12, 06:46 PM
Gone up 10 places in the medal table in one day. Lots more to come. Well done Team GB, C'mon, more to come.

redken1
01-08-12, 10:04 PM
In front of a record crowd for women’s footie, a fantastic goal against Brazil [smiley=thumbsup.gif] – if that was men’s footie all the commentators would be crowing from the rooftops. Definitely a contender for goal of the season. Can’t remember the name of GB no7 shirt, but what a gifted player – sign her up Fergie. ; [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

voodoo
01-08-12, 10:09 PM
a good day for team GB

still waiting for the beach volleyball though ::)

Gerry
01-08-12, 10:11 PM
making it into the race in the first place is still an acheivement ;)
Well done GB! keep it :)

Agreed [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Went to see the fencing today, Mens Epee & Womens Sabre.
No Brit in the epee (we are not good enough) :( and our two ladies were bashed out in the first round (32) pretty much as expected really. A Venezuelan won the Epee and a Korean the Sabre. Great day though.

Well done our GB medal winners today.... brill.

G

redken1
01-08-12, 10:11 PM
a good day for team GB

Women or Men? :D

voodoo
01-08-12, 10:13 PM
a good day for team GB

:o

I'm sure that the mens event will make for a good sporting event but it's all about the womens for me :P

redken1
01-08-12, 10:21 PM
a good day for team GB

:o

I'm sure that the mens event will make for a good sporting event but it's all about the womens for me :P

No what you mean. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I much prefer the women's tennis - it must be in the stroke. :D ;) ;D

Snowy
01-08-12, 10:23 PM
I bet the athletes don't think coming second is much of an achievement after spending their lives training for the olympics ;)

Try telling that to Michael Jamieson - it took a world record to put him into the Silver medal position. Well done Michael ...... and beating the British record twice in succession to boot - you can be proud of your achievement.

redken1
02-08-12, 07:49 PM
5 golds for the flying Sotsman - not bad for an olden [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

DaytonaDog
02-08-12, 07:50 PM
A good day for Team GB today. 3 golds and 3 silvers so far, with Rebecca Adlington yet to swim her final.

redken1
02-08-12, 07:55 PM
A good day for Team GB today. 3 golds and 3 silvers so far, with Rebecca Adlington yet to swim her final.

Thought that was tomorrow Chris, when's that on?

Snowy
02-08-12, 08:08 PM

I'm just trying to catch up with it all now - fantastic stuff. Two world records as well, well done lads.

Adlington's final is at 1945 - I think she's going to have to beat the world record to get gold. C'mon Becky!

Last Train
02-08-12, 08:26 PM
I watched some of the cycling earlier, bit of a mare for the girls, excellent work from the guys.

8-)

Snowy
03-08-12, 07:50 AM
Here's hoping Jessica Ennis starts her campaign well and that being "the face of the games" is not too much of a burden for her.

Ben Ainsley is fired up after yesterday and maybe that will propel him from silver to gold.

The velodrome should bring more success today after yesterdays gold and world records.

No phone calls please at 7.45pm tonight, c'mon Becky :)

Geordie Stu
03-08-12, 10:44 AM
Watched the Shotgun shooting yesterday. Thought it was brill. Gold for Peter Wilson from Dorchester [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Dan505
03-08-12, 03:08 PM
The russian shooting in the trap yesterday was unbelievable :o he was so rapid with his sighting it looked seemless.

hoping to catch a bit of the archery too. i'm sure plenty people know but i found last night that 'RED' button on the BBC gives you various coverage of live events so we're not stuck watching the same thing :)

DaytonaDog
03-08-12, 04:32 PM

Thought that was tomorrow Chris, when's that on?

You right Ken, its on tonight at about 7.45pm (just as I'm about to head off to work :( :( :( :( :()

redken1
03-08-12, 09:42 PM
Highlights for me today. Jessica Ennis 200 metres and team pursuit in the Velodrome.

Oh and Victoria Pendelton. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Snowy
03-08-12, 10:30 PM
I've lost my voice from shouting at the telly.... great day on the water, in the velodrome and fantastic start for Ennis on her first day. Brilliant! C'mon Team GB!

redken1
03-08-12, 11:02 PM
I've lost my voice from shouting at the telly.... great day on the water, in the velodrome and fantastic start for Ennis on her first day. Brilliant! C'mon Team GB!

I really got into myself today. Reckon Queen Victoria's turn of speed to win would have left me on my Fazer in her wake. Boy, did she take-off! 8-) 8-) 8-)

goz1960
03-08-12, 11:09 PM
Watched the Shotgun shooting yesterday. Thought it was brill. Gold for Peter Wilson from Dorchester [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Have to say that it made great viewing on the TV well done young man.

Geordie Stu
05-08-12, 04:55 PM
Murray wins Gold in Olympics. ::)
Louis Smith Silver on pommel horse [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

leehateswork
05-08-12, 09:52 PM
Hey Ken,let me know if your going up to the harp and crown wednesday

Col
08-08-12, 10:46 PM
Argies beat the girls hockey team 2-1 so now match for bronze against NZ .... close game --hard luck

Tom Stalker lost in his middleweight bout 22-23 but team still done well in the boxing getting 6? into medal possibility :)

Still bit baffled that Louis Smith got pommel horse silver by being marked down on 'execution' with a more difficult routine than opponent -- both having scored the same :-?

Anyway---great stuff :)

Jon_W
09-08-12, 09:57 AM
Keep an eye on Ed McEver on the Sprint Kayak. Current world number 1 and Local Bradford on Avon boy.

Good Luck Ed!!!

Last Train
09-08-12, 08:23 PM
Just watched David Rudisha destroy the 800m field with a world record...
awesome :)

Now for the Bolt

8-)

Snowy
09-08-12, 08:39 PM
Rudisha was really strong for the whole race...nobody else was in the hunt for gold.

Yeah, the Bolt is up in about 7 minutes.....will he do it? Well, I won't bet against it!

Snowy
09-08-12, 08:42 PM
Oh, and Nicola Adams.....first ever woman's boxing gold. Nuff said. C'mon Team GB!

24 Golds and past the total medal tally of Beijing. I'm almost speechless.

Last Train
09-08-12, 08:47 PM
Yep, brilliant from Dujardin too 8-)

I can see Blake pushing Bolt to a sub 19 second time

8-)

Snowy
09-08-12, 09:01 PM
Jamaican clean sweep and Bolt eased down before the line. wow!

Col
09-08-12, 10:00 PM
Nicola Adams--first ever gold female boxing --beat 3x World Champion by an amazing 16-7 points She even did an Ali Shuffle in the last round 8-) What crowd support too :)

Seen the greatest ever 800m and fantastic 200m race

Dressage gold too for Charlotte Dujardin --very difficult equine discipline :)

taekwondo fighter Jade Jones will go for gold soon !!!..GOLD!!! 1st ever GB Taekwondo gold and she is only 19!!! :)

Last Train
11-08-12, 08:02 PM
Mo Farah Rocks

8-) 8-)

Geordie Stu
11-08-12, 08:26 PM
Mo Farah Rocks

8-) 8-)

Runs pretty good as well ;D ;D