PDA

View Full Version : Soldering

Conehead
14-08-12, 04:40 PM
I need to replace the charging port on my wifes laptop. I have the part, soldering iron, solder and solder wick. Stripped laptop but cant get the old solder off of the part so that I can get the new part in. Can anyone help that has more confidence in electronics than me.

Jacde
14-08-12, 04:54 PM
You need a vaccum pump or solder wick, heat the old solder till it's liquid and then remove with said wick or pump. Easy enough to do.

Lou
14-08-12, 04:56 PM
You need a solder sucker, just heat up the old solder and use the tool..works a treat... if you are at the H & C I think I could lay my hands on one :) just let me know :)

Jacde
14-08-12, 04:59 PM
Solder sucker / vaccum pump is the same thing btw

Conehead
14-08-12, 05:05 PM
i have tried that but I dont seem to be getting it right, I am using the solder wick but spent ages doing it with no success.

Jacde
14-08-12, 05:09 PM
Is there a lot of old solder, I'd use the pump/sucker first and then use the wick to clear up any remaining solder.

Conehead
14-08-12, 05:21 PM
Very little solder to be removed but i just cant get it right. Cant seem to liquify the old solder but the iron is getting hot enough. First time i have ever done anything like this.

Jacde
14-08-12, 05:36 PM
Did you heat the wick up too? if not heat it with the iron before holding it onto the solder that needs removing and while holding the the iron onto the wick you should see the solder be sucked up by the wick.
Remember to cut the wick once it's sucked up the solder and use a new bit of wick for the next bit of solder.

Marmalade
14-08-12, 06:34 PM
I'm in Salisbury and have a solder sucker if you need one. Sure I know where it is too. If you are really stuck I'll come do it for you as did spend some time employed assembling circuit boards in my teens.

Conehead
14-08-12, 06:44 PM
Cheers for the advice, will give it another go.

Marmalade, I might be calling on your services. If I need you is it ok to pm you.

NoYou
14-08-12, 08:47 PM
I'm also in Salisbury and currently work producing circuit board for naim audio, just holler if you need a hand :]

Conehead
14-08-12, 10:11 PM
Cheers G3o. You might regret the offer. :D :D

Marmalade
15-08-12, 10:01 AM
Cheers for the advice, will give it another go.

Marmalade, I might be calling on your services. If I need you is it ok to pm you.

Of course it is.