PDA

View Full Version : Giving it up !

Gerry
20-08-12, 03:50 PM
Giving it up !

Following my well publicised crash at Llandow Circuit on Saturday and the damage to me and the bike, I did a lot of soul searching yesterday (Sunday) and have decided that it’s not really for me.

I may risk some of you trackdayers calling me a wimp, but I don’t care, I’m to old to let what others think make a difference to my deeds.

Now I know some of you really like it, I mean Basil did it three times last year (and got the photo’s to prove it) and a number of you have done it this year, but I simply can’t see the fun in it. Even when I turned on the telly last night I saw Stoner & Hayden in the USA doing it in spectacular style, but it still doesn’t tempt me to continue.

What’s more, I can’t really see which bit people like that much, you can’t really look forward to it, and it’s over so fast you can’t appreciate it when your doing it. Then afterwards there’s the mess and expense (sounds like my love life) :-/

So, I’m sorry, but crashing is not for me, and I’m giving it up.
From now on I’m going to stay riding the bike from the start to the finish.

Please don’t try and talk me around, I’ve made my mind up on this and I’m not budging.

See you on the 29th at Castle Combe ;D ;D ;D

Gerry
20-08-12, 03:57 PM
PS. Sorry if the title of my post was a bit misleading, but you shouldn’t jump to conclusions :P :P :P

G 8-)

cerruti
20-08-12, 03:59 PM
Erm, what? You had a crash? Did I miss the memo? Hope you're ok. Bikes are fixable/replaceable but people aren't.

Wes
20-08-12, 04:11 PM
Good man ;) crashings not for me either mate :)

Snowy
20-08-12, 04:35 PM
But you won't have anything to do during the week if you haven't got any track damage to fix or buy another bike for :-?

goz1960
20-08-12, 04:38 PM
Yes coming off can really be painful and as I know all too well is that the older you get the longer it takes to mend. Came off in 2006 broke scapular, collar bone, and two bones in my wrist, the collar bone has never mended and told by the hospital that due to my age it probably will never mend. And had a bad off in 1979 broke both my legs off work for a year and now have arthritis in both legs, some days have difficulty in walking due to the pain.

Beamer
20-08-12, 07:06 PM
Good for you Gerry.................Positivity is the best policy !!

Fingers crossed for you for Castle Combe !!

Its the getting back up and keeping on going that makes you stronger !!

Well Done you :-* :-*

Dan505
20-08-12, 07:14 PM
Agree with your attitude Gerry, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to practise a few more forward rolls ;) ;D mend soon matey!

Caz
20-08-12, 09:17 PM
PS. Sorry if the title of my post was a bit misleading, but you shouldn’t jump to conclusions :P :P :P

G 8-)

Didnt fool me for a minute Mr Simpson ;D but I agree I think you should give up crashing [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Rabb
20-08-12, 09:30 PM
Crashing is a bit over-rated I find.
Glad to hear that you've seen the light and decided to give it up.
(PS - Nice to meet you Today)

Swanny
20-08-12, 09:53 PM
Good luck Gerry I hope you stay off the tracks..
How many days has it been now?? :)

voodoo
20-08-12, 10:17 PM
it'll never last ;D

Gerry
20-08-12, 10:22 PM
G 8-)

Didnt fool me for a minute Mr Simpson ;D but I agree I think you should give up crashing [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Drat, took me ages to pen as well, thought I'd fool everybody ;)
Sent you some pics (of you) lol
xxx

Scotty
20-08-12, 10:56 PM
The trick is avoiding crashing Gerry, and managing the potential get-off scenario. In your situation you had two good options and one bad one, the better ones being:
1. Take the "Oh ****" lane, as used by numerous Llandow compatriots on Saturday.
2. If heading for the (wet) grass, pick the bike up and go straight on, and don't touch the brakes!
The bad option you don't need explaining...

Keep pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and you'll learn to manage crises when they arise. Good style points on the forward roll by the way, very quickly back on your feet in a quite nonchalant stylee ;) well done on avoiding any more painful injuries 8-)

Fast group next season then? :-?

Top Tip: Next time, back off slightly before the final corner, drive through it harder, carrying more corner speed for a faster exit and slingshot past the other bike on the way out of the corner thus avoiding the need for a death or glory manoeuvre too far up the braking zone [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jimbok4
20-08-12, 11:09 PM
Sorry to read about your off Gerry :( also sorry to read your hanging up your trackday gloves :(

But hang on to one of your track bikes as in a few months time you may feel the urge to get back on track :) and as scotty said in the fast group next year !!

NoYou
20-08-12, 11:20 PM
Sorry to read about your off Gerry :( also sorry to read your hanging up your trackday gloves :(

But hang on to one of your track bikes as in a few months time you may feel the urge to get back on track :) and as scotty said in the fast group next year !!

Somebody didn't read the post all the way through ::)

wish i'd been there to see it first hand Gerry! Looks like a cracking crash! Fancy doing it again next year for me?! ;D

Jimbok4
21-08-12, 07:39 AM
Nice 1 g3o lol
A combination of alcohol - holiday - old age creeping on = not reading posts correctly ;D

Good choice Gerry crashing = pain + ££££££s :)

Bonnielass
21-08-12, 08:13 AM
From your post Gerry, I can relate to every point, although, not on the track and not going fast!! Sorry you are hurting, I can sympathise, but we'll get back on because we love it so much!! :) Hope you feel better soon! :-*

Col
21-08-12, 11:58 PM
hang on in there dude :D

CharleyX
22-08-12, 09:25 AM
LOL I'm saying nothing Mr G :o :o :-* :-*

Geordie Stu
22-08-12, 12:28 PM
Sorry to read about your off. Obviously a tuff decision to make to give it up (Track days) The Older Generation don't bounce as well.

Least its only your ego/pride thats damaged & no bones [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SupeRDel
27-08-12, 09:46 AM
When I was 16/17/18 in the mid to late 70's I did a lot of stupid things and a lot of crashing on little bikes and I soon learned that it hurts

It has tempered my riding. Hurtling around blind corners on ordinary roads is not for me.

I would ride around a track if I could do it on my own because I would no longer be pushing it to any limits.
I have a wife and kids to consider. I see so many track day videos where other people have big off's. I think the risk of being hurt by those knob heads is just too great.

If you are going to do track days then sooner or later you will have an off.

Gerry
27-08-12, 08:59 PM
Sorry to read about your off. Obviously a tuff decision to make to give it up (Track days) The Older Generation don't bounce as well.

Read again Stu [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Can't wait to get back on at Combe on Wednesday.

SupeRDel, Think you are right about having off's at track days, if you do enough of them it's going to happen.
They (TDR Forum) do say that if you don't fall off your'e not trying hard enough ;D
At least I've proved I can fall off and I don't necessarily have to have a helicopter ride anywhere, but Stu's right about bouncing (and the lack of doing so) at 55 - that's age, not MPH ;D

SupeRDel
27-08-12, 11:25 PM
I ride to protect myself - its the riders around me that frighten me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HZ4eixlNf6Q

Geordie Stu
28-08-12, 03:55 PM

Read again Stu [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Can't wait to get back on at Combe on Wednesday.

SupeRDel, Think you are right about having off's at track days, if you do enough of them it's going to happen.
They (TDR Forum) do say that if you don't fall off your'e not trying hard enough ;D
At least I've proved I can fall off and I don't necessarily have to have a helicopter ride anywhere, but Stu's right about bouncing (and the lack of doing so) at 55 - that's age, not MPH ;D

Didn't scroll all the way down to see the last bit :(

Bit early or late for April fool :D

Kelpie
31-08-12, 08:00 AM
I feel your pain! I too decided track days weren't for me in spite of absolutely loving them. I don't bounce any more...

Top Tip: Next time, back off slightly before the final corner, drive through it harder, carrying more corner speed for a faster exit and slingshot past the other bike on the way out of the corner thus avoiding the need for a death or glory manoeuvre too far up the braking zone [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

That was my plan before a spectacular highside on the exit part (I'll never buy Dunlops ever again) ruined everything. ::) I mangled both my hands although 3 years on, they're almost as good as they were. I guess if it was simple it wouldn't be fun. :P