PDA

View Full Version : Drivers without lights

Geordie Stu
24-09-12, 05:28 PM
Driving today in the bad weather I observed a number of drivers today not using dipped headlights.

The problem occurs when the heavy rain mixed with spray like today, reduces visability & you can't see the tailights in front of you. When I got passed the cars the vast majority relied on LED lights & nothing else, great if they are behind you.

Those LED car lights should be used inconjunction with the rear lights. Most modern cars have a seperate Brake light so I don't see why not

Wes
24-09-12, 05:58 PM
Nearly as bad as those who drive round with their foglights on, or the popular sidelight/foglight combo, wtf is that about? :-?

Jacde
24-09-12, 06:00 PM
We should be like Sweden, our sidelights should come on when we start the car and ideally all cars are fitted with sensors so there's no need to remember to turn mainbeam on when light becomes poor or it's dark.

Geordie Stu
24-09-12, 06:30 PM
Nearly as bad as those who drive round with their foglights on, or the popular sidelight/foglight combo, wtf is that about? :-?

I don't mate ::) ::)

Volvo's yes exactly like Volvo's. They had the "Bright" idea years ago. Whoever, thought putting white LED "only" on the front....? DOH....!

Nelly
24-09-12, 07:55 PM
Strangely...i saw a volvo in all that water and rain today with NO lights on. :-?

Beamer
24-09-12, 08:17 PM
I really don't get why people drive without any lights on in bad weather conditions..........it doesn't really help your own visibility but by god it makes a hell of a difference to other road users......the amount of people with no lights on this morning was staggering !!!

Dan505
24-09-12, 08:47 PM
Agree in bad weather but in daylight? If all cars had them on during daylight then wouldn't we as bikers blend in more with our lights on and be harder to spot by oncoming traffic? Bad weather yes but leave them off when weathers good so bikes can be seen easier :)

Scotty
24-09-12, 09:21 PM
We should be like Sweden, our sidelights should come on when we start the car and ideally all cars are fitted with sensors so there's no need to remember to turn mainbeam on when light becomes poor or it's dark.
Sorry Jackie, that's precisely what we don't want, Dan's alluded to why (and people like MAG are fighting proposals for it) - we'd just blend into the traffic and disappear :( we're invisible enough to most dopey morons in cars already and if our one main distinguishing feature is lost amongst all the other road users.... We're doomed, doomed I tell ye!

Some have asked why so many so many car drivers don't put their headlights on in poor weather... I'll spell it out for you: IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE ****ING STUPID! >:(

Dan505
24-09-12, 09:59 PM
:) oooh feeling all chuffed cause someone agreed with me for a change ;D

Swanny
24-09-12, 10:50 PM
I agree with Scotty. :o

Swanny
24-09-12, 10:54 PM
What pisses me off are drivers that travel at night on dark country roads with nothing in front but they drive on dipped beam. Don't the stupid feckers want to see all of the road???
It also means it's harder for anyone following the numpty to overtake as they can't see the road in front.

Crosbie
25-09-12, 04:22 PM
What pisses me off are drivers that travel at night on dark country roads with nothing in front but they drive on dipped beam. Don't the stupid feckers want to see all of the road???
It also means it's harder for anyone following the numpty to overtake as they can't see the road in front.
I’m one of the 'STUPID FECKERS' then as when I am out in the car at night i will mostly drive with dipped beam unless the road is particularly tight/twisty/****ty. Reason being one related to contrast in light levels. Flicking your main beams on and off all the time when oncoming traffic approaches makes your eyes work harder due to the continuing changes in light levels and contrast between super bright (when cars come towards you) to being pitch black again once passed. In case any of you were wondering it is actually the contrast between the oncoming lights and darker surrounds that gives the impression of being 'dazzled' or being temporarily blinded.

If you want to over take me it’s your responsibility to do so in a safe place and in a safe manor - i shouldn’t have to light the road with my main beams. ::) :-*

Swanny
25-09-12, 05:42 PM
My mates dad gave up driving at night because he was having difficulties with his eyes. He didn't feel safe. :-*

alanTDM
25-09-12, 11:08 PM

+1
and drivers who have there rear fog lights on in the heavy rain aswell, more difficult to tell when the brake lights come on

Snowy
26-09-12, 08:01 AM
The Highway Code
Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)

This Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone.

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

StreetHippo
26-09-12, 08:32 AM
And is it just me, or are more drivers happy to drive at night with only one dipped headlight, meaning they go from full beam to **** all at the flick of their switch???
I thought it was illegal but I guess not????

Stu