PDA

View Full Version : Help settle the great debate! Brew making

Dan505
03-10-12, 03:14 PM
After a lengthy discusion on FB last night, i need a bit more of an idea as to which is the more popular method (plus i need something to shut G up :P )

Cheers

Mitch9128
03-10-12, 03:30 PM
Water straight from the boil, 1/2 spoon sugar, dash of milk, milky tea is vomit inducing.

Nelly
03-10-12, 03:35 PM
I've voted ;)

Goldie
03-10-12, 03:44 PM
Already kicked your arse on this last night, Dan ::) :-*

Jacde
03-10-12, 03:50 PM
Dan....... ::)

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQ FjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tea.co.uk%2Fmake-a-perfect-brew&ei=O09sUODIDqi90QXW-4GIBA&usg=AFQjCNFXH5m_0lYI4ur2qFM3Y6l0bDXRhg

Just a bit of useless info, during the second world war, the Germans would carefully watch people they thought were spies making tea.
If they put milk in first it meant they were British!
So the SOE had to train spies to always brew tea with water first.

Conehead
03-10-12, 03:55 PM
Voted,

I have always been told that milk cloggs the bag and does not let all the flavours out quickly so it has to be water first.

Dabz
03-10-12, 04:22 PM
water first, drop of milk...like it nice and strong :)

wiltshire builders
03-10-12, 04:37 PM
If you make tea in a pot would you add the milk to the pot first?

There's your answer!

You're welcome ;)

Snowy
03-10-12, 04:40 PM
Water first, then the milk. And if making it in a cup, leave the tea bag in - the spoon needs to stand upright ;D

Geordie Stu
03-10-12, 05:10 PM
Boiling HOT water 1st leave to stand "Don't Squeeze the Bag" Drop of MilK STRONG

Optional Leave Tea Bag in the MUG.

Proper Strong Tea not the Dishwater stuff Roxy drinks ;) ::) ;)

Hazel-nut
03-10-12, 05:28 PM
I don't drink tea or coffee so have used Nellys option :P

wiltshire builders
03-10-12, 05:37 PM
I had a customer offer me a cuppa and when I tasted it, it was Earl Grey!

I know what you're thinking but he was married and had kids. Weird.

redken1
03-10-12, 05:38 PM
If you make tea in a pot would you add the milk to the pot first?

There's your answer!

You're welcome ;)

+1

The hot water fuses the tea-bag enriching the brewing process for the perfect cuppa. Cold milk will have the opposite effect making the tea-bag soggy and neutralising the flavour. ::)

We would probably have lost the war if it wasn’t for, ‘a nice cuppa tea.’ ;) :P

I drink coffee! ;D

wiltshire builders
03-10-12, 05:50 PM
I drink coffee! ;D

My kettle has a setting for coffee. It doesn't boil it as apparently boiling water gives coffee a burnt taste.
Complete waste of money as I don't drink coffee. I only bought it because it matches the toaster [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Loops
03-10-12, 05:59 PM
Water first if it's brewed in the mug.

Milk first if it's poured out of a teapot (cos it's been brewed already).

8-)

Rabb
03-10-12, 06:12 PM
Always water first in my opinion.
Can't stand weak tea.
Leave to stand for 4-5 minutes then sugar it ; and then add the milk.
(If you put the milk in before the sugar - the sugar doesn't dissolve as well because it's cooler!)

It's personal preference really - I used to drink black tea and coffee ; now I drink both with sugar and milk.

I also like "Gold Top" milk (I've got expensive and unhealthy tastes - but the way I look at it is a little bit of what you like won't hurt you)

Dan505
03-10-12, 06:56 PM
Why do people always ask if i milk the pot? Its a stupid question, i don't milk the pot as i'm not a dick.

Jac, your link saying that Brits milk first ;)

Jacde
03-10-12, 07:29 PM
Dan, bless you, you're clutching at straws ;D
I suspect the reason Brits 'milked' first was because they would have normally brewed loose leaf tea in pots, so they would have put milk in the cup before pouring the tea.
Now days, so many of us normal folk ;) use tea bags in a mug and therefore water first milk after.
Me, well, water all the time and if brewed in a pot, always add milk at the end as milky tea is the spawn of the devil!!

Dan505
03-10-12, 07:47 PM
Thank you Jac :) gotta clutch at something! Glad i'm not normal then :p i've just made my 1st backward brew an its grim, i'll stick to what i kniw but if anyone wants to invite me round and try convert me brew technique then........:)

redken1
03-10-12, 07:47 PM
I drink coffee! ;D

My kettle has a setting for coffee. It doesn't boil it as apparently boiling water gives coffee a burnt taste.
Complete waste of money as I don't drink coffee. I only bought it because it matches the toaster [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ye that’s right Dan – coffee don’t taste very nice when you get that burnt taste in your mouth.

I’m shocked :o I thought it was only frustrated women and posers who cared about matching kettles and toasters. ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
03-10-12, 08:02 PM
Why do people always ask if i milk the pot? Its a stupid question, i don't milk the pot as i'm not a dick.
Jury's still out on that one! ;D

wiltshire builders
03-10-12, 08:05 PM
I drink coffee! ;D

Ye that’s right Dan – coffee don’t taste very nice when you get that burnt taste in your mouth.

I’m shocked :o I thought it was only frustrated women and posers who cared about matching kettles and toasters. ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Frustrated posers are the worst!

KP
03-10-12, 08:14 PM
Water first , let it stand for a while , drop of milk job done

Kevinb
04-10-12, 01:11 PM
Water in first and it needs to be builders tea (no sugar) something like Yorkshire tea. The fairtrade stuff is rubbish. Yuk

A13X4ND7A
04-10-12, 02:11 PM
Alex's guide to making tea and coffee

tea - teabag > sugar (if desired) > boiling hot water > milk (how much depends on one's personal preference)

instant coffee - coffee granuals > sugar (if desired) > milk (how much depends on one's personal preference) > Hot water

fancy coffee machine jobby - sugar (if desired) > milk (how much depends on one's personal preference) > coffee/Hot Water

Sportster883
04-10-12, 03:17 PM

tea - teabag > sugar (if desired) > boiling hot water > milk (how much depends on one's personal preference)

instant coffee - coffee granuals > sugar (if desired) > milk water (how much depends on one's personal preference) > Hot water milk
fancy coffee machine jobby - sugar (if desired) > milk (how much depends on one's personal preference) > coffee/Hot Water

nearly right love !

A13X4ND7A
04-10-12, 04:04 PM
nearly right love !

Not nearly, thats how I will always make it, and if anyone comes to my house and doesnt like it like that... tough, dont ask for a drink next time ::)

Loops
04-10-12, 07:28 PM

instant coffee - coffee granuals > sugar (if desired) > milk water (how much depends on one's personal preference) > Hot water milk

nearly right love !

He had it right the first time. Milk first helps protect the coffee if the water is too hot so it doesn't get burnt taste 8-)

bobf279
04-10-12, 11:06 PM
If you follow the common method these days of brewing in the cup then you add milk once you have brewed the tea and removed the tea bag. If you make proper tea in a pot then you put milk in the cup first and add tea once it has brewed in the pot.

Whichever way you make it tea has to be made with boiling water and allowed to brew. My best cuppa of the day comes from my teasmade.

Kevinb
05-10-12, 08:51 AM
Teasmade. Is that what you call your wife/partner?

DC
05-10-12, 10:42 AM
One important thing that none of you have mentioned and this is essential, Always heat the pot or urn !!! or Mug in the case of us modern folk so that the boiling water from the kettle doesnt cool too quickly in the cold mug, allowing the tea the optimum brewing potential !!!

1: Heat mug.
2: Add tea bag.
3: Add boiling water (leave to stand until desired strength is achieved).
4: Remove tea bag.
5: Add sugar to taste ( if desired ).
6: Add milk to taste ( if desired ).
7: Stir.

Job done, there is no other acceptable method !!! ;)

Kevinb
05-10-12, 01:17 PM
One important thing that none of you have mentioned and this is essential, Always heat the pot or urn !!! or Mug in the case of us modern folk so that the boiling water from the kettle doesnt cool too quickly in the cold mug, allowing the tea the optimum brewing potential !!!

1: Heat mug.
2: Add tea bag.
3: Add boiling water (leave to stand until desired strength is achieved).
4: Remove tea bag.
5: Add sugar to taste ( if desired ).
6: Add milk to taste ( if desired ).
7: Stir.

Job done, there is no other acceptable method !!! ;)

Prior to heating the urn please make sure there is nothing left in it like ashes ;D

Senna(Dan)
05-10-12, 04:05 PM
With coffee I never let the kettle boil, if you have a thermometer stop the kettle boiling at 89C. If not stop it just before the water starts going like a jacuzzi!
The best tasting coffee ever.
Even putting milk in first with coffee can burn it if you use boiling water. A random known fact picked up from some documentary.