PDA

View Full Version : hanging up the leathers

whizz
11-10-12, 08:51 PM
Hi all im having an issue with this one...shall i stop biking all together...or do i need a break... just cant seem to find the fun in it at the moment ....any ideas on how to rekindle my interest ... :)

Beamer
11-10-12, 08:57 PM
Take up golf...................thats what Kev did lol

Then visit the A40 in Wales ...........Kev found whatever he lost along that road (and managed to lose me Dabz, and Hazel too 8-) 8-) 8-) ::))

Actually...thinking about it....losing me might have been the answer lol

It'll come back Whizz........doesnt everyone go through the 'biker blues' at some point ?? :)

whizz
11-10-12, 08:59 PM
no way id rather stick wasps in my eye than play golf . ;D ;D..lol....i dont need another thing to take its place just an idea to make it fun again lol ....thanks Tina x ;D

Beamer
11-10-12, 09:01 PM
Same here.......golf just doesnt quite do it for me either :)

Dabz
11-10-12, 09:01 PM
2 words...naked bike.

redken1
11-10-12, 09:03 PM
2 words...naked bike.

Yep, naked ride :D ;) ;D

Splash
11-10-12, 09:03 PM
Go on a bike trip! Just pack up and feck off one Friday evening. 8-)

Gooz
11-10-12, 09:08 PM
leave your bike at home, sit in mcdonalds trowbridge on a nice sunday morning as a large ride goes out without you.......................... Then time how long it takes you to reach for your lid ;)

Tobias5571
11-10-12, 09:58 PM
You need to come visit me, we will have a biker weekend and go to scottish lands ;) or a biker weekend :) you just miss your idiot riding buddy. either that or you got upset about being overtaken by a twat sat up on a naked bike ;)

Nelly
11-10-12, 10:59 PM
£20 says you don't. Tell ya what. Don't sell the bike. Bring that lovely yellow Duc over to my place and leave it with me in the garage. I'll look after it until you want it back.....all of about a week. I dare you... :D

Lou
11-10-12, 10:59 PM
Errr no, I have to overtake you at least once...that will make me feel better lol :) :D

voodoo
11-10-12, 11:07 PM
don't do it, we'll eventually get a sunny day and you'll be reaching for your lid :)

Trev
11-10-12, 11:13 PM
2 words...naked bike.

Deffo - I picked up a little MT03 last year to use on wet days and can't keep off the thing, poor gixers don't see the road much.

Not really a naked bike but ........... I also have a 1973 Yam step thru, handpainted, terrible lights, the bounciest suspension I've ever tried and pitiful brakes. It's an absolute hoot, I live on the edge of the New Forest which is a 40 limit and often spend an hour bouncing around the lanes trying to hang onto every last mph, peering into the gloom for horse **** on the road, etc. Even better when get to take on a 'yoof' on a modern 'ped, transported right back to my teens on a AP50 :)

Try something else, don't get rid of your current bike, it will only make you appreciate it more

Nico_babe
12-10-12, 12:17 AM
Just stop thinking about it so much. Then you might start to enjoy it again

Dan505
12-10-12, 08:01 AM
don't use it for work and leave it for weekends and make it about the grin factor, won't be long before your living on it again

Mitch9128
12-10-12, 08:23 AM
If you ride in all weathers, stop now, it takes the joy out biking. Just ride when it's dry, and the mood takes you, you'll get the buzz back soon enough when you do ride.

Kevinb
12-10-12, 09:04 AM
2 words...naked bike.

Deffo - I picked up a little MT03 last year to use on wet days and can't keep off the thing, poor gixers don't see the road much.

Not really a naked bike but ........... I also have a 1973 Yam step thru, handpainted, terrible lights, the bounciest suspension I've ever tried and pitiful brakes. It's an absolute hoot, I live on the edge of the New Forest which is a 40 limit and often spend an hour bouncing around the lanes trying to hang onto every last mph, peering into the gloom for horse **** on the road, etc. Even better when get to take on a 'yoof' on a modern 'ped, transported right back to my teens on a AP50 :)

Try something else, don't get rid of your current bike, it will only make you appreciate it more

Yep

Naked bikes all the way. MT-03 looks great but if you want fun,sound and a smile when you open the throttle go for an MT-01 (big v-twin fun that can go around corners and accelerate like you know what off a shovel)

Nikki
12-10-12, 09:05 AM
Hi all im having an issue with this one...shall i stop biking all together...or do i need a break... just cant seem to find the fun in it at the moment ....any ideas on how to rekindle my interest ... :)

I've felt like that several times in the past and it accounts for why I've had so many bikes!

I've also had several breaks because I've lost interest but I can never get it out of the system.

For me getting a new bike is often the answer - makes it exciting again.

I've also found doing advanced rider training has made riding much more fun again.

spudgun
12-10-12, 09:26 AM
to go against the grain

I hung my leathers up this year and haven't looked back since!
Replaced the road riding with Trials riding, totally off road, mainly practice ground and a few events and am having the most fun on a motorbike that i have experienced for a few years.
I had been riding on the road since 98 and had some cracking times, but over the last few years found that i was more concious of speed traps/cameras, other road users and generally not enjoying the little time i got on my bike.

Now i look forward to the weekends, ride almost every weekend and mid week in the summer eve's, not worried about the bike getting scratched or caked in crud and am learning a totally new set of skills on a motorbike (not really transferable to road riding) and since starting both my kids have also started to ride, so I get another buzz of seeing them having a great time as well

Geordie Stu
12-10-12, 01:36 PM

Buy a Harley or try fishing!!! you'll soon want to come back to a Sports bike. ;D ;D

Sits back & waits for Harley riders to bite ;)

Berniebloke
12-10-12, 01:54 PM
I went through something similar last year, wasn't enjoying it anymore so gave up and sold my now very much missed and immaculate ZR 7. Three months later and I was starting to miss biking again. Borrowed a mates VFR for the day and felt comfortable Nd happy again straight away. Now ought one and loving it again - restrict myself to nice weather riding (hobby only) and as a result thoroughly enjoy it every time. G out.

Maybe not the same for you but I found that getting a completely different bike and changing habits brought al the fun back. I do miss my ZR 7 though.

Snowy
12-10-12, 01:55 PM

Buy a Harley or try fishing!!! you'll soon want to come back to a Sports bike. ;D ;D

Funny you said that - I was going to suggest the same but with a different ending - get off the sportsbike and open up some new challenges and horizons as yet untouched due to being in the foetal position all the time ;D ;D

Swanny
12-10-12, 02:29 PM
Take up green laneing
I used to have an old Honda XL250S and had so much fun getting it covered in mud. :)

Nikki
12-10-12, 04:10 PM

Funny you said that - I was going to suggest the same but with a different ending - get off the sportsbike and open up some new challenges and horizons as yet untouched due to being in the foetal position all the time ;D ;D

My last bike was a swap to a sportsbike - had loads of touring style bikes which just weren't doing it for me and now love my little GSXR 750 :)

Loops
12-10-12, 05:58 PM
£20 says you don't. Tell ya what. Don't sell the bike. Bring that lovely yellow Duc over to my place and leave it with me in the garage. I'll look after it until you want it back.....all of about a week. I dare you... :D

Or it can join my Honda's for a while, I'd make sure it was ridden nice and regular to keep it in top condition :P

It's actually a good suggestion - make it so you can ride for a while (or just ban yourself from riding for a few months) and the biking love will come back!

BB
12-10-12, 06:00 PM
Some great ideas there, I'd go for a small fry road bike and have a hoot on the road and/or a street legal off roader and play down the byways

Guarantee both will have you smiling :D

BB

Scotty
12-10-12, 07:04 PM
Just man-up Neil and stop bloody navel-gazing! ;)
Get an off-roader and come green landing with us, it's a hoot. ;D I'm still limping as proof of that ::)

Regarding the suggestion to go for a bike trip, remember that he has a Ducati so it'd be a fairly brief trip... (Cue predictable response from a certain other Ducati owner...) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

StreetHippo
12-10-12, 08:56 PM
Track day? It's off road but in a good way!

Stu 8-)

Red Zed 1
12-10-12, 09:06 PM
don't use it for work and leave it for weekends and make it about the grin factor, won't be long before your living on it again
i use my gpz500 mostly everyday for work and have done for the past 5 1/2 years..still enjoy riding it,helps that i have a good ride to/from work..plus i have gpz1100 and vz800 which provide a bit of variety..maybe if you only have one bike the answer is to get a 2nd,different bike..just a thought.. :)

Senna(Dan)
13-10-12, 02:27 PM
I had the blues before I chopped in my GS500, was getting very bored of it and wanted to call it a day.
Took the XJ6 for a demo ride at the bike show and knew it would keep me happy.
Now own my dream bike as well but I remember picking up the YBR from Goldie and loved riding that home, bike screaming and stupid lean angles on bicycle tyres!!

You will find your rhythm again Neil and I am sure a different type of bike will help you to reinvigorate the experience.

smellygerm
13-10-12, 10:15 PM
wednesday nights, smellyburger, pint of your diarrhea drink,good company and you get to see me what more do you need to ride. :D

redken1
13-10-12, 10:30 PM
wednesday nights, smellyburger, pint of your diarrhea drink,good company and you get to see me what more do you need to ride. :D

How much do you want for your leathers Whizz? :D ;D ;D ;D

smellygerm
13-10-12, 10:40 PM

How much do you want for your leathers Whizz? :D ;D ;D ;D

your bard :P
no more smelly for ken, only the left overs ;)

whizz
15-10-12, 08:10 PM
Thanks all...must try some of these ideas .. :)