PDA

View Full Version : First Savile now Steptoe

Swanny
18-10-12, 11:13 PM
Jimmy Savile: Steptoe and Son actor Wilfrid Brambell 'abused boys in Jersey' claims whistleblower
Wilfrid Brambell, the actor, became the latest BBC celebrity accused of child sex abuse last night after it emerged that two people had come forward in Jersey claiming to be his victims.
wilfrid brambell
Wilfrid Brambell, left, with Steptoe and Son co-star Harry H Corbett

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02266/steptoe2_2266692b.jpg

Brambell, who played the “dirty old man” Albert Steptoe in the comedy Steptoe and Son, allegedly abused two boys in a theatre in Jersey at the height of his fame in the 1970s.

Ducatista
19-10-12, 01:18 PM
I think it's essential that we maintain the concept of innocent til proven guilty even for Saville.

Crosbie
19-10-12, 03:19 PM
I think it's essential that we maintain the concept of innocent til proven guilty even for Saville.
Indeed! Bandwaggon springs to mind..... :(

Beamer
19-10-12, 05:24 PM
Not being too sceptical but is this a new way to claim some sort of free money........make accusations about dead celebraties and get some easy dosh ??

I wonder if those no win no fee/accident companies are going to add "Were you abused 40 years ago by a famous dead person" to their selling pitch.

I know that is terribly unkind to the genuine people that were abused but, bloody hell, why are they all coming out now when people aren't around to defend themselves ??

Mitch9128
19-10-12, 05:29 PM
Saville was a well known nonce, everyone knew, but no-one did anything.

KP
19-10-12, 06:03 PM
don`t really care, more important things in life than idle chit chat ;)

redken1
19-10-12, 06:47 PM
“Idle chit chat,” Kev?

Police have started a formal criminal investigation into alleged sexual abuse involving Sir Jimmy Savile.
Scotland Yard said it had identified 200 potential victims of the late BBC presenter and other people.
Cdr Peter Spindler said a "staggering" number of victims had come forward. The NSPCC children's charity said Savile may have been "one of the most prolific sex offenders" it had come across.

I know these are only allegations at the moment, but we must not forget that these staggering numbers of potential victims are now adults.
I’m not surprised that a small child would find it difficult to speak out against such a powerful figure with demigod celebrity status and who raised millions for sick children’s charities.

We need to create a society where those responsible for protecting vulnerable children know they will be listened to and any allegations of child abuse will be investigated, no matter who is involved.

Beamer
19-10-12, 06:56 PM
“Idle chit chat,” Kev?

Police have started a formal criminal investigation into sexual abuse involving Sir Jimmy Savile.
Scotland Yard said it had identified 200 potential victims of the late BBC presenter and other people.
Cdr Peter Spindler said a "staggering" number of victims had come forward. The NSPCC children's charity said Savile may have been "one of the most prolific sex offenders" it had come across.

I know these are only allegations at the moment, but we must not forget that these staggering numbers of potential victims are now adults.
I’m not surprised that a small child would find it difficult to speak out against such a powerful figure with demigod celebrity status and who raised millions for sick children’s charities.

We need to create a society where those responsible for protecting vulnerable children know they will be listened to and any allegations of child abuse will be investigated.

Ken....I will not ever forget the nurse who openly admitted she watched him molest a child............I can understand the children not speaking up but an adult?? And a nurse at that ??
There are so many regs, acts and laws protecting children and vulnerable people but if the people who are meant to be doing the protecting are going to let them down how the hell are people ever going to get anywhere.
Children need to be brought up knowing whats 'ok' and whats not...but this can only work if the parents, guardians, carers etc are not the actual abusers......its a bloody awful world we live in.....but if Id been that nurse Savile would have been using his nuts to chew his food with as I would have kicked them rather hard........Im not a violent person but I am also someone that could not/would not tolerate that sort of behaviour in front of my own eyes.

redken1
19-10-12, 07:05 PM
Tina I agree with you 100 per cent. IMHO all those adults who remained silent after witnessing child abuse at the time should hold their heads in shame. >:(

KP
19-10-12, 07:28 PM
It couldn't have upset these so called molested people to much, they have lived it with for many years now! But now the mans dead they all come forward...... If its true I'm disgusted, but I find it disgusting people could leave it this long and let it happen!

Mitch9128
19-10-12, 07:48 PM
KP have you ever been molested? If not, try and put yourself in their shoes, and wonder if you might want to keep it quiet.

redken1
19-10-12, 07:51 PM
Kev, in many cases people who are abused, including women who are victims of domestic violence, feel guilty and blame themselves (wrongly of course) for what has happened to them.

In this case some potential victims did come forward at the time, but for the reasons I highlighted no one believed them. Jim was the father figure who made kids' dreams come true.

I can’t speak for the potential victims here – perhaps the fact that it was finally out in the public domain helped others to talk about what happened to them all those years ago. What we do know is that many victims of rape remain silent because they are unable to relive the ordeal they went through or face the process of a humiliating investigation. Less painful to stay silent and live with the pain perhaps?

Goldie
19-10-12, 09:44 PM
I would love to say what I really think but I'm far too much of a lady to do that, despite what some people might think. >:(

redken1
19-10-12, 09:56 PM
I would love to say what I really think but I'm far too much of a lady to do that, despite what some people might think. >:(

We will never achieve equal rights for women if we allow that mindset to prevail Goldie. ;) :-*

KP
19-10-12, 10:54 PM
Wait for someone to die, then hang him out to dry, that's about right for this sorry country! Of course I'm not defending him, and wouldn't , who next? My monies on the Pope!

redken1
19-10-12, 11:40 PM
Kev, what are you saying exactly? Because he is no longer alive the matter should be dropped?
I just don’t get your take on this.

Not a single member of his family has come out and publicly welcomed today’s announcement that a criminal investigation is underway, giving them the opportunity to fight to clear his name?
If so many people were making false allegations against a member of my family I would ‘Move Mountains’ to clear his/her name.

Col
21-10-12, 02:32 PM
Kev, what are you saying exactly? Because he is no longer alive the matter should be dropped?

D'ya know what Ken ...yeah as the alleged perpetrator[s] is/are el mort, dropped orf the twig, no longer on this mortal coil, pushing up daisies whatever.....Very sad , traumatising, and unfortunate for victims but do we need plod digging over 30 odd year old tales of abuse...really :-?

what next the rape of Boadiceas daughters :-? ...which was carried out by Romans lead by Paulinus and this ended with the great slaughter of Britons by the Roman 'tooth' deployed legions at Watling Street

How about an investigation into that lunatic 'Field Marshall' Doulas Haig who singularly was responsible for the wholesale slaughter of men [2 million or more] under his command in the 1st World War..........no aplology has ever been received from his family or any useless government since.....rightly labelled 'The Butcher'

Point is ...............nothing can be done...move on :-*

Mitch9128
21-10-12, 03:20 PM
Col, what if living perps are uncovered during the investigation? What about justice for the victims, who are mostly living? What about the BBC learning from it's mistakes? I could go on, but i'm sure you get the gist?

redken1
21-10-12, 03:36 PM
Col, what if living perps are uncovered during the investigation? What about justice for the victims, who are mostly living? What about the BBC learning from it's mistakes? I could go on, but i'm sure you get the gist?

I agree wholeheartedly.

Why not forget about Hillsborough too then? It's called justice

Ducatista
22-10-12, 02:24 PM
Point is ...............nothing can be done.

No that's not true.
There may be some people still alive who were involved in some way.
If someone in authority was negligent and allowed this to continue then they should be prosecuted (if criminally negligent) or possibly removed/suspended from their post if appropriate.

redken1
22-10-12, 06:56 PM
For those who may be interested Panorama 8.30pm tonight.

Swanny
23-10-12, 12:46 PM
BBC covered up Jimmy Savile’s child abuse because he was friends with Prince Charles, claims veteran broadcaster Bill Oddie

http://swns.com/news/jimmy-savile-scandal-bbc-covered-abuse-friends-prince-charles-claims-bill-oddie-26272/

Julie_S
30-10-12, 09:58 PM
This happened 40 years ago, things have moved on. have as much relevance as saying you were racially abused in England in 1972 - thing have moved on for the better (we hope) He's dead, don't see what they are trying to achieve.

The BBC is cash strapped, so the press whip up a frenzy to try and ensure an expensive enquiry. How many police forces are now having to spend more of their meagre pursh to investiagate this?

I am waiting for my 'you may be entitled to £3000, were you ever even in the vicinity of Jimmy Saville' telephone call.

Goldie
30-10-12, 10:03 PM
It's not about money. It's about closure.

redken1
31-10-12, 05:21 PM
This happened 40 years ago, things have moved on. have as much relevance as saying you were racially abused in England in 1972 - thing have moved on for the better (we hope) He's dead, don't see what they are trying to achieve.

The BBC is cash strapped, so the press whip up a frenzy to try and ensure an expensive enquiry. How many police forces are now having to spend more of their meagre pursh to investiagate this?

I am waiting for my 'you may be entitled to £3000, were you ever even in the vicinity of Jimmy Saville' telephone call.

Detectives are poised to make further high-profile arrests in the Jimmy Savile sexual abuse investigation after holding Gary Glitter for questioning on Sunday on suspicion of unspecified “sexual offences”.
He is the first suspect arrested by officers from Scotland Yard’s newly-formed Operation Yewtree, which is investigating hundreds of abuse allegations made against Savile and others.

Police have made it clear that other people – expected to include well-known entertainers as well as former associates of the Jim’ll Fix It star – will also face questioning in the coming days and weeks.

Among those thought to be of interest to the investigation team are a radio producer, a photographer and a driver, all now retired, who are likely to be asked about their knowledge of Savile’s decades of abuse.

At least one alleged abuser is reported to have gone into hiding.

Can you imagine the public outcry if the police closed the file on the Jimmy Savile case and the other suspects under investigation committed acts of child abuse in the future? The police are duty bound to investigate any allegations brought to their attention and quite rightly so.