PDA

View Full Version : Proposed 'Communications Bill'

redken1
31-10-12, 07:32 PM
Plans to monitor all Britons' online activity are needed to help society fight crime and "save lives", Home Secretary Theresa May has said.
Under draft plans, service providers will have to store details of all internet use in the UK for a year.

The ‘if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear’ brigade will probably argue this is good bill to protect our national security. :-?

I wonder if similar anti-free-speech laws exist in Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya? :-/

If you don’t watch what you say on the net someone else will. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Hunar
31-10-12, 08:50 PM
There is a story circling the web at the moment about a disabled lady who has been quite critical on facebook about the government cuts and the fiasco with the disability assessments run for the DWP buy french company, Atos. The Police came to visit her at midnight to question her with regards to the criminal comments she had made (as far as I can see there is no evidence that any of her posts can be classed as criminal, just critical).

I've always thought that saying like "the innocent have nothing to fear" and "if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear" should cause the innocent to start running immediately.

They like to use the "Saves lives and fights crime" arguments, because if you then disagree with what they are saying, then they can accuse you of not wanting to save lives, and fight crime, and that makes you an unreasonable person who can be ignored.

Sometimes I wonder if our politicians have some kind of bet going on, to see how many of our freedoms and rights they can take away before the population actually stands up and says stop.

Swanny
01-11-12, 11:33 AM
https://mikesivier.wordpress.com/2012/10/27/police-move-on-campaigners-for-criminal-acts-against-dwp/

Step by step eroding us of our rights including freedom of speech.
All part of moving us towards agenda 21

Geordie Stu
02-11-12, 05:19 PM
Don't see the point in this bill. If your online Banking, Social media, Smart Phone, email, text or any other smart device then the authorities can track/trace do whatever. Everthing online leaves a trail you can find.

The Hackers will have an absolute field day.

Dan505
03-11-12, 11:01 PM
GCHQ monitors ALL email, text & U.K voice calls automatically each and every single day, this bill is just to get the ISP to maintain there own records as a back up for back/cross checking.

not saying i agree with the bill but its only doing something that is already being done. i'm happy for everything i do to be seen as got nowt to hide....plus i use carrier pigeon for all my secret squirrel messages anyway.... :-X

redken1
04-11-12, 12:13 PM
The Bill extends the range of data telecoms firms will have to store for up to 12 months
It will include for the first time details of messages sent on social media, web mail, voice calls over the internet and gaming in addition to emails and phone calls

I personally find it astonishing that our troops are engaged in combat to rid Afghanistan of the Taliban so the people of the country will hopefully enjoy basic human rights, yet their private calls and emails sent to loved ones in ‘Blighty’ could be scrutinised by our state under these proposals.