PDA

View Full Version : New Website

camera.op76
23-11-12, 12:52 PM
Fairly new to website building, thought I would give it a shot. I know theres a couple of website builders on here.... some tips would be nice.

www.obcameras.com

Dabz
23-11-12, 12:56 PM
Very nice looking - only problem is that it's in Flash so won't show on an ipad or iphone :/ also search engines can't pick up on the text

camera.op76
23-11-12, 03:44 PM
Very nice looking - only problem is that it's in Flash so won't show on an ipad or iphone :/ also search engines can't pick up on the text

Thanks for that... Is there a work around?

Wes
23-11-12, 05:29 PM
Nice 8-)

Pugwash
25-11-12, 03:48 PM
Nice website. :) :)
Who are you using or is there a company that has done this for you?
I use wordpress to do mine which links to google is free... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] so that any new items you publish come up in google. Also links in with a twitter and facebook account. Its quick and easy to use. I have fiddled with it for a while now and the main comment I get is to keep it simple. Too much clutter on the home page puts people off. A couple of really good pics is better than loads of small fiddly ones. Do you have a hit counter to see what sort of viewing figures you are getting? Good luck!

SimmyDerbi
25-11-12, 04:59 PM
i would change the http://prntscr.com/kki85 part: i guess you were trying to make the text 3d? very simple trick to do that ;)

camera.op76
26-11-12, 01:33 PM
thanks very much for the feedback... I'm looking into a logo design today as it happens :)

A13X4ND7A
26-11-12, 01:42 PM
nice site, the only major downfall is that its all in flash so like Dabz said it wont show up on the ipad etc.
Also your email address isnt set up as a link and you cant select the text to copy it which is a bit irritating for someone that would like to email you potentially.
Some of your text is very small, although I am looking at it on a hi-res screen so it could just be me but it was hard to read.

camera.op76
26-11-12, 02:01 PM
nice site, the only major downfall is that its all in flash so like Dabz said it wont show up on the ipad etc.
Also your email address isnt set up as a link and you cant select the text to copy it which is a bit irritating for someone that would like to email you potentially.
Some of your text is very small, although I am looking at it on a hi-res screen so it could just be me but it was hard to read.

flash is a pain for anything apple... yeah I agree about the writing... looks kind small. its hard packing 12 years into such a small space.

I am not sure about my email... I have put links to email before and been inundated with spam. englarement pills and ppi claims all that rubbish, so kinda trying to avoid that nonsense :)

Geordie Stu
26-11-12, 06:15 PM
Impressive C.V. 8-)

camera.op76
27-11-12, 06:59 AM
cheers Stu... hard bloody work :)

A13X4ND7A
27-11-12, 01:20 PM

flash is a pain for anything apple... yeah I agree about the writing... looks kind small. its hard packing 12 years into such a small space.

I am not sure about my email... I have put links to email before and been inundated with spam. englarement pills and ppi claims all that rubbish, so kinda trying to avoid that nonsense :)

Try looking at some of the HTML5 and css3 as well as jQuery stuff. Some good alternatives to using flash now.

it was the testimonials I think that was the hardest to read really, the rest wasnt that bad.

with the emails, I run several sites and have emails on there but dont receive barely any junk, although if you have it, you should be able to increase the spam filtering on your email which emits a lot of the rubbish. Its down to usability really, if your happy with it then thats all that matters :)

camera.op76
28-11-12, 10:06 AM

Try looking at some of the HTML5 and css3 as well as jQuery stuff. Some good alternatives to using flash now.

it was the testimonials I think that was the hardest to read really, the rest wasnt that bad.

with the emails, I run several sites and have emails on there but dont receive barely any junk, although if you have it, you should be able to increase the spam filtering on your email which emits a lot of the rubbish. Its down to usability really, if your happy with it then thats all that matters :)

HTML5 pparently the provider is going to use that in the near future... I wish I knew what it all meant.

Anyhows, will try that with email. I know my hotmail account still gets all the rubbish and nonsense from the net which is a bit of a worry when putting email addresses on websites. :)